Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

44,641 to 44,660 of 45,455 messages
14/07/2014 at 12:50

Sonya, yay to Mum bus. Ours is great although Mr TT doesn't love it!  He appreciates its practicality though. 

Boo to your house situation though. Why do these things always happen when we are about to have a baby?

Well done Camlo, what is Olympic?

14/07/2014 at 13:57

Been thinking just the same Ttid, why do these things happen when having a baby! Or is it bound to happen if you have enough . Hope your house build is going ok? My hubby definitely isn't keen on the mum bus! Funny how I was allowed to buy this one in my name and he owned his flashy estate

Olympic distance tri is 1500 swim, 40km cycle and 10k run. Tough cookie distance!

14/07/2014 at 18:39

House build still causing stress, I'm sure it's inevitable that it will be stressful, just wish we had a better idea of when it might be finished.

Wow to Olympic tri, Camlo you are a quiet one aren't you?  You toddle along with your training then slip these huge races in almost under the radar!

Bought Max some cheap workbooks yesterday for math(s!), ABCs and common sense type questions.  Some are at Pre Kindergarten level which he starts in August and some are 1st grade which he starts in 2 years.  He's blasting through the easier ones and even doing really well at the first grade stuff.  Just hope we can keep him interested and motivated.

Os is really coming out of himself now at 17 months.  We've come to the conclusion that he doesn't actually like us as he blooms when other people are around , poor thing doesn't get much of a look in when Max is around.

PG3
14/07/2014 at 20:50

Sonya and TTid, I feel for you both.  House stress is pretty rubbish.  I remember when we were doing all the work in our flat, it was awful.  I am about to enter the same stress myself as I am having estate agents round to value the flat and we'll look for something when we are (hopefully) under offer.  We need to move by the end of Jan for schools so best get a move on.  Btw, does anyone know if it's an issue getting a mortgage whilst on maternity leave?  I am still being paid now (I get 6 months full pay) but my last proper payment will be next month.

Well done Camlo.  Did i see you were doing Chatsworth tri?  How was it? Hilly?  Where was the swim?

I am on day 2 of the final (for now) stint of flying solo.  My daughter kept getting up from about 3am and then Isaac (baby) woke up at 5am.  Georgia then poo'd herself in the gym creche!  Only 4 more days to go!

14/07/2014 at 20:57

I think they said on the radio the other day that moving house is more stressful than divorce!  Thats why I am never doing it again!

Camlo - woo hoo.  That's fab.

Have been really lethargic today.  Took Eric for a stay and play session at his pre school this morning, 2 hrs of fun and I mostly just sat and watched him as I really didn't have the energy to do much.  Came home, had lunch put him in nursery then had a nap!  Now I'm tired again - and I slept well last night.  Am now only using piriton to help me sleep, have weaned myself off the tramadol as clearly the only reason I was in such pain was from the infection which seems to have gone.  Not taken the zopiclone for ages and don't want to start up with that again.

Still now news on what happens next or when.  It is so frustrating not being able to plan anything!  I will definitely be making phone calls later on this week  if I don't hear anything.  The trouble is I've no idea who to call apart from Nicky, the poor long suffering over worked nurse.  If I just had a date and an idea I would be alot happier and less stressed!!

14/07/2014 at 22:47

Hehe yes it was Chatsworth. I did a race report for the european tri site which was put on tonight. 

http://triathlete-europe.competitor.com/2014/07/14/the-peak-district-triathlon-at-chatsworth-2014

I really enjoyed it and the time flew really, much more interesting than doing a 3 hour run! The swim was quite shallow so i didnt panic once the crowding had eased and  hubby said although i wasnt quick, i did have a good stroke. We were warned not to swallow the river water but it was hard not to take the occasional gulp and at one point i went to sniff forgetting that my nose was in the water! I plodded the 1k in 30mins which included taking my wettie off and running in flipflops back to t1 (about 200-300m). Think out of about 49 i would have been about 40th at this point.

Few bites of banana and set off on the bike and even though i put gloves on, my hands still got pins and needles which was annoying. Overtook quite a few of my wave going up the hill (twice) but as the other waves set off i was also passed by lots of very fast cyclists and got quite an eyeful of barely concealed arses. Tried to sip my sports drink to keep hydrated even though i didnt feel i needed it and ate some fruit pastilles before heading back to T2. Bike leg took about 1:33 which was only about 15mph but seemed to pull me up the rankings a bit. 

Changed cycle shoes for trainers and grabbed some peanut bar as knew there was a steep climb on the run. Again I overtook a few of my wave but the hill was a killer and many were walking quite slowly. Took a jaffa cake and swigs of water at the tower but then got a really bad stitch running back down which really hampered me, managed to  get a better rhythm for the 2nd loop and ignored the jaffas and water on reaching the tower so i could blast down for the finish. Crowd support was good and we got a pint of beer for rehydration purposes! 10k run only took me 50mins!! 

Overall i sneaked under 3 hours and was 5th of 15 in my age cat, 24th of the 49 women in the standard distance. 

Hubby took part in the sprint and said no way could he have faced a longer swim (he did 750m) or 2 laps of the bike and run course. 

14/07/2014 at 22:51

Boo to house issues TT and Sonia, not a good position to be in when preg.

yay to mum bus and birthday cakes! 

Boo to CM's continued dressing faux pas, not good wearing your top back to front! 

caro - glad infection is better and you are getting some sleep. 

Hope CC and Lotte are enjoying some chatting and probably some running and swimming! 

15/07/2014 at 12:40

Really well done on your tri, Camlo - am so impressed with anyone who can do that!  I'm a runner 100% - have no desire to take on anything like that.  Aside from everything else the logistics of three events just make it all so much more complicated!  And although my swimming has improved exponentially in the three terms I've now been doing it, I am still rubbish!  I now have fairly decent technique but still struggle with the whole stamina part of front crawl and although I can manage quite a lot of lengths I do have to have breaks.  I would so love to be one of those people who look really relaxed and effortless in the water and can keep going up and down seemingly forever, but I think it's unlikely that I ever will be.

Yes, I also hope Lotte and CC are having fun!  It will be manic and full-on but hopefully fun too!

Sorry that both TTid and Sonya are suffering from MRS (Moving-Related Stress).  We have moved house twice and it is definitely one of the most stressful things you can do. I think the second time I just took the attitude that what would be, would be and it did help, but with babies imminent it can't be pleasant facing the possibility of homelessness

Really pleased you're feeling much better, Caro - and what a fantastic present from Vixo (saw pics on FB).  That must have been a lovely surprise.  But yes, frustrating that no next steps have been agreed for you yet, and once again you are left in NHS limbo.  Take no notice of hubby's comments; he'll get used to the idea of the buff soon enough.  Not sure what I'd do in your position but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to wear a wig - although my hair is such a nightmare to do anything with, being so straight and fine, that I suppose I might enjoy the chance to experiment with styles I'd never be able to have normally!

Had a really dreadful run home last Wednesday with IMTB.  It was warm and humid, but incredibly windy and gusty - and of course, we had the wind fully against us all the way because we were on the towpath and therefore never changed direction (sadly, neither did the wind).  Maybe it just took it out of me more than I thought, or maybe I didn't notice the humidity as much because of the wind, but by 11 miles in  felt pretty dreadful; slightly nauseous and spaced. As usual IMTB hadn't brought a drink so we shared the 500ml bottle of water I had - frankly  could have done with at least that to myself.  Weirdly though, I happily run that sort of distance (15 miles) first thing in the morning on a Sunday having drunk nothing all night, maybe had a cup of tea when up, then no breakfast and no fluids during run and am fine.  What's that about?  Maybe something to do with the time of day?  I felt completely done in by the end of the run and didn't really feel recovered until the following day.

Fortunately we only have two more of these long midweek runs to do, one tomorrow (only 9-10 miles though) and then one next Wednesday.  Then I am off on hols and IMTB has only about 3 weeks until his race - for which, frankly, he is not as well-prepared as he should be!  Yet he has sooooo much time to train!  Funny how much more productive you are the less time you have!

15/07/2014 at 19:34

I cycled 6 miles today  Round trip to the hospital to drop off the wine.  Apart from it being a bit sore going over bumpy bits it was fine and I have no adverse affects.  Might have to do it again tomorrow..........

Sounds good camlo. I am really put off by transitions, also the fact that I know bu**er all about bikes apart from how to ride one so would be stuffed if I got a puncture.  

15/07/2014 at 21:48
Caro - good to hear infection all sorted and you're feeling better again. From the wedding photos on FB you're looking fantastic despite half-time dressing changes in disabled loos! Fingers crossed you get some dates/timelines in place soon. Vixo's cushion was lovely - am very envious of those with sewing/craft ability - I could not be less gifted in that area!

Camio - well done on tri, great effort. Its the swimming that would do for me - hate getting my face wet which is a slight problem when it comes to swimming!

Sonya, TTid - hope the MRS not too bad. Our last house move we did whilst I was 38 weeks pregnant! In the space of 18 months we got married, moved three times, OH changed job and we rounded off by having a baby. It wore us out and we have pretty much had our feet up for the last 7 years, lol!

Just back from weeks holiday in Lake District - lots of cycling, rowing and general gadding about the countryside, Was lovely. Back to work today
PG3
15/07/2014 at 22:02

Hello

Caro - great to hear you got out on the bike today and the infection is sorted out. Also if you dont know anything about bikes, you can join most triathletes  I have been doing triathlon for 14 years and I am still useless with my bike.  When I used to take it abroad (before kids!), I had to take pictures of it so i knew how to put it back together again, and this was all basic stuff.

Minks - I used to bail on sessions more often than I do now.  Before kids, I could always go later or in the morning etc. Now I am pretty good at grabbing any chance I can and enjoying the peace and quiet.

I went to my daughters pre school sports day today which was fun.  She came last in all her races as she just giggled and looked at the other kids.  I went in the sack race and came last as well  My trousers kept coming down and I had huge turquoise pants on (in my defence, they were in the sale!).

I had a nice swim earlier whilst Isaac was in the creche and I paid a babysitter so I could get out for a run tonight.  I've never paid someone so I could run but it was totally worth it.  I did 5 miles. Am missing hubby but its getting easier.  I guess you get used to someone not being around.  

15/07/2014 at 23:03

A lady got a puncture and she told me someone else just stopped, fixed it for her and carried on. She overtook me on the run! 

Did a hill race tonight and it was 10times worse! 

Fab idea to start with gentle biking caro, keep it steady though and NO racing about! 

Pip - happy days! How long is hubby away for? 

minks- i know you pick that route as it also is your way home but could you try a different path to break the jinx? Is work taking more out of you so you are setting off with an energy deficit rather than well rested before a morning run? I didnt think i had stamina for swimming but my stroke is very slow so maybe that helps. Have you tried any distance in open water? Having a wettie helps too as it gives me more boyancy so dont have to kick much. 

MR - didnt know you did rowing too? Glad you had a nice break.

16/07/2014 at 08:47
Yay Caro, that's great about the cycling! Please don't go overdoing it though - enjoy it but make sure you are still getting plenty of rest. Saying that, I'm a firm believer in your body telling you what if needs so I'm sure you'll be sensible. Must have been nice to do something normal and get some fresh air.

MR, can't believe you did all that in 18 months - epic! Must have been pretty stressful though!

Camlo, not really possible to do a different route home as any other would involve running through parts of central London which I don't really fancy. However tonight we are running from my house as a) it's a shorter run this week and b) IMTB isn't at work today so it doesn't make sense to run home. After that we only have one more long run to do next Wednesday and then I can go back to doing what I want to do! Hubby says IMTB owes me at least a bottle of wine for all the time I've given to helping him train etc - bet I don't get one though!

Have been told it's a little easier swimming in a wetsuit - never tried one but makes sense. I think I still have a tendency to 'over breathe' when doing front crawl, especially when I tense up. If I'm relaxed I'm much better. I tend to find the first few lengths are ok, then I start feeling a bit tired, stroke and breathing go to pot and I start 'snatching' breaths and lose my breathing pattern. Still, when I look at where I was last September when I started classes compared with now, there's no comparison so I know I've got better. Just need more practice - I only do the half-hour class once a week which isn't really enough. Problem is public swim times at both the pools near home are rubbish - start at 8:30pm by which time I'd struggle to get out. Especially after a day at work. Annoyingly we do have a pool at work but it's only 2 lanes and at the times I'd be able to use it it's too busy. Need to look for another solution!

Pip, how long is hubby away for? Our sports day was non-competitive too, the children did a carousel of events in their team colours and winning teams got points for their colour. The only head to head event was the sprint, in which Kit came last. He was out in front until he realised no-one else was near him, at which point he slowed down to see where they all were and they all came past him! Need to teach him how to race lol!
16/07/2014 at 09:19

On train back to work 

Fecking loud irritating woman beside me. She's been telling her colleague about how her Italian grandfather was badly treated by the British during the war and I pretty much have her entire life history now. iPod is still in my suitcase. Argh. 

16/07/2014 at 10:42
EF, hope first day isn't too bad.
Caro, well done on getting on your bike!
CM, love the fancy dress!
Camlo, well done! Can't believe someone stopped to fix someone else's puncture!
PG3
16/07/2014 at 15:19

EF - I dont get people who just talk really loudly on the phone whilst on a train.  I am so careful when I am on a train to not speak too loud or for too long as I know how much it irritates me listening to other peoples banal bollox!

Hubby back on Friday hopefully.  It's not been so bad actually although Sunday was a bit rubbish as we usually just hang out as a family on Sundays.

Isaac has his first morning at a childminder tomorrow.  I wanted to put him in to the same nursery as Georgia but they need at least 2 mornings a week and its £40 a session, whereas the childminder will take him for 3 hours and its £5 an hour.  I am going to take off on my bike for a few hours and hope he is ok.  I feel a little self indulgent but I am usually pretty careful with money and I get 6 months full pay maternity leave so I am going to spend a little bit of it having a morning to myself.  I hope the childminder is ok.  Her English is a little ropey but she has a good ofsted rating and has been childminding for 22 years so surely she knows more about babies than me?!

16/07/2014 at 20:20

Hope you had a nice time pip.  We all deserve some time to ourselves, away from kiddies!

so I decided it was time to be proactive with the wonderful NHS yet again rather than just sit back and expect the things I have been told will happen to actually happen.  I didn't want to bother the nice nurse so I got the phone no of the barts oncology dept from my friend who has just finished her chemo there.  The phone was immediately answered (if I'd been calling whipps it would have undoubtedly been a queue and an automated system, so I was impressed) The guy was very helpful, found me on the system but said they hadn't received my referral yet.  This is now a wk after I was discharged from the surgical team at whipps and told I would get an appt to see the oncologist at barts either this wk or next wk.  he gave me his e mail and told me to contact my nice breast care nurse to get her to get the referral e mailed and as soon as he had it he could do me an appt.  So I called nurse, left a message and she hasn't called me back.   so blooming frustrating!!!  I have a diary of blankness that I need to fill for the school holidays, an invitation to Cornwall for the bank hol wk end, and very generously (or madly,) CM has said we can stay in her house the wk after next when they are on hols.  But I can't plan or organise anything and it is driving me round the twist.  

And breathe........

16/07/2014 at 20:52
Caro That is frustrating, you shouldn't have to chase but if you don't it will take even longer or get 'lost' in the system.
Hope you can work hols around once you know the schedule.
16/07/2014 at 21:25
Caro - I meant it when I said you could stay in our house too - we could do with someone to feed the cats! Hope you hear from them soon. I agree, very frustrating, and not what you want when you're waiting to find out about your treatment plan.
16/07/2014 at 21:31

I'll just do a tour of the UK staying in all your houses when you go on hols

I've never been to South Wales, and hubby is excited to show me and the kids the gower, but I havent said a word to them incase it doesn't happen.......are you going to Switzerland vixo? 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.