Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

44,721 to 44,740 of 45,511 messages
PG3
24/07/2014 at 20:22

Hello

Glad you got some physio this morning Caro and it sounds like she could be a good person to talk to.

I am also so glad I am not pregnant.  I had babies in Jan and March and I was disgustingly hot throughout winter, god knows what I would have been like with a summer pregnancy!  I hope all you ladies are ok.

Sonya, if you need a c section, i recovered pretty quickly after mine and was driving before 6 weeks and most people I know did too.  The issue with driving is that you need to be able to do an emergency stop.  I called my insurance company and said I was ok to do one and they were fine with me driving.  I think I might have said earlier, but if given the choice again (and no more babies for me, i wish i could have had my tubes tied!), i wouldnt hesitate to have a c section.  Also, i hope you get the house situation sorted.  Try and be philosophical and only get stressed/worry about what you can control.  The rest will be what it is.

I had my 3 hours off today as baby Isaac went to the childminder so i went to Richmond park on my bike and did just over 40k.  My legs are tired now and I have a race  (sprint tri) on Sunday so i will take it easy for the next few days.  I sold my Abingdon marathon place today as i had a think about it and it's too soon for me.  It's 13 weeks away and I probably would just have got injured but if I made it, I would probably just run a time that i wouldnt be happy with so why do it?  I would sooner concentrate on getting a good base, not getting injured and getting my speed back and go for it at Brighton next year.

Talking of wrapping babies up, Isaac has been in a vest day and night for ages.  I saw a baby in the park the other day wrapped in a massive blanket and it was 27 degrees.  I did wonder if i should say something but the mum was in a big group and looked a little scary...

Ttid - glad you got to put your feet up, even if it meant going to the doctors to do it.

Minks - well done on your race

I hope all you Scots are enjoying the CW games.  The first day has been fab.

24/07/2014 at 20:38

Fraser was the exception EF!  Sme of the kids at M's school have still been in wooly tights right till the end of term......and the classrooms are like tiny sweat boxes.

i prob shouldn't have been driving after my 2nd surgery.........but no one told me not to and I didn't ask the question of either my drs or my insurance company asi didn't want the answer to be no! one of the reasons I knew something was wrong was because I went from being able to drive fine, to not being able to change gears without pain, to not being able to press down and put the car into reverse at all and so I had to lean over and do it with my right arm!  I then stopped driving for a week or so......

PG3
24/07/2014 at 21:17

Caro, when I was about 20, I dislocated my clavicle and had to have surgery to put pins in to put it back together and my arm was in a sling.  I called my car insurance people and they asked me if the doctors had told me not to drive to which I honestly replied 'no'.  I guess the fact that I only had one working arm (the one furthest from the gears) meant that they probably thought it was a given that i couldnt drive.  Anyway, I did.  V stupid and there is no way I would do that now, but I was stupid when i was 20.

24/07/2014 at 22:42

Hubby has got a new job!!!!!! Very exciting! He interviewed for a job a couple of months ago and they wanted to take him on but their head office put a hold on recruitment. They phoned on Wed and he went and met with them yesterday! We are thrilled! He'll get lots of training, pay is slightly less than now (entry level as opposed to Head chef!!) but will go up after probation period. So thrilled for him (and me!). Starts in a week.

Fingers tightly crossed that all goes smoothly and he can finally get started in his new career - only taken 1 year from when he started his course to retrain!

24/07/2014 at 23:05

BoggleBoggle

24/07/2014 at 23:06

Lol that's autocorrect for hoggle 

24/07/2014 at 23:07

Yay Hoggle, that's brilliant news. 

24/07/2014 at 23:07

Lol EF!

24/07/2014 at 23:25

Haha  EF!

24/07/2014 at 23:25

Have been lurk reading as all mad here but just needed to do the huge YIPPEE HURRAH HURRAY for Hoggle and Mr Hoggle. That's fantastic, 'bout time you had some positives

24/07/2014 at 23:29

Kids been doing tennis course  week so mornings list to that. Afternoons mainly at beach as it's like the med up here at the moment!! Looked after a friends boy all day today too. Knee way better, hip flexor very grumpy still, chiro appt tmrw - new guy, swore I'd not go back to chiros but he's well recommended and I'm not waiting another week sewing as I have 600 miles to drive next week!!!

24/07/2014 at 23:30

Ha did you see the story about Chris hoy getting ID'd to get into his velodrome? That was my friend from work! She insists it's wrongly reported cos he wasn't refused entry just asked for his pass. Hilarious none the less. 

24/07/2014 at 23:32

Back properly soon, yay to banishing the thumb sticking - we got rid of Ss 'boffy' on holiday and consequently ditched the thumb sticking - hurrah ... Swapped it for j being glasses for a seriously lazy eye, he's fairly nonplussed about it aall thankfully - probably because I wear glasses and he sees it doesn't stop me really

24/07/2014 at 23:46

Ooh CC, we need to take Max to optician as we're a little worried he has a lazy eye. It's just finding the time at the moment....

25/07/2014 at 07:53

Irony was that I took them to opticians to call madams bluff as she kept saying she couldn't see things properly .... I was fairly convinced she was fine but so glad I went as j really has a pretty weak left eye. Worse thing was the drops to relax the eye muscles to get a proper reading but optician was brilliant. I guess you have to pay for stuff like that too?

25/07/2014 at 07:54

Caro - I hope you get your holiday too! But so wearing to be having to nag nag the system continually!

25/07/2014 at 07:55

EF - typical press! Not heard that one though!!

25/07/2014 at 08:00

Not sure if anyone stoops to the same low level of newspaper reading as me ... But on monday I opened the mail and was reading the femail section and am reading article about a woman who fell off her bike, knocked her head (no helmet), loses her sense of smell = ultimately splits from her husband ... Anyway, suddenly realised it was a friend of mine from down south - who did one of my first post-baby mountain marathons with and she never done one before. I was so shocked to see her while family story in the paper!!!!!

25/07/2014 at 08:23

Morning! Loads going on since I was last here. Hoorah to babies changing their gender (!) and keeping things lively and boo to potential breeches. Whichever way it ends up (the baby and the situation!) I hope it all goes relativelysmoothly. Ihad an emergency section and took a while to recover but I bet planned ones are much easier on the body.

Hope you get good news about your chemo starting - and time to get to Wales first if that is what you prefer.

Glad the peanut allergy testing went so well. Such a relief toknow that you don't have to monitoring everything she eats and is near so carefully. 

Sure I have missed lots of news! Can't imagine doing any sort of racing in this heat. Hats off tothose of you still running I managed 4 miles ish the other morning but have been pretty slack this week.

25/07/2014 at 08:26

Maybe there's a rule saying if the velodrome is named after you, you're not allowed in

Woo Hoo Hoggle!  What's the job? Hopefully family harmony will be restored.

I am so not looking forward to getting on the tube to go to Barts later......ugh.  I have a list of questions a mile long, hope the consultant has time to answer them all!

Edited: 25/07/2014 at 08:26
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.