Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

44,741 to 44,760 of 45,519 messages
25/07/2014 at 08:26

Off to Glasgow today to watch some commonwealth games and soak up the atmosphere. We got tickets for rhythmic gymnastics which I applied for thinking the Girl would quite enjoy. We were out for tea last night and a boy who had clearly been at the games in the day was there - head to toe in merchandise clearly purchased throughout the day. T shirt, bag, jacket, toy, etc etc etc. how miserly can I get away with being? I must stay strong and say no to the cuddly Clyde thistle mascot. 

25/07/2014 at 09:03

Ikkle make sure you take cash as apparently they don't take cards and there's no cash points in the venues! 

25/07/2014 at 12:50

Caro, that's very reassuring. And I think the consultant should be prepared to answer as many questions as you ask! If you go to Wales whereabouts are you going?  We leave tomorrow and are staying at Freshwater East in Pembrokeshire (kind of midway between Tenby and Pembroke I think, not far from St Davids). Really looking forward to it, although I think the heatwave's about to end ...

Woohoo Hoggle!  Great news, you must be so pleased.  Hope it all goes well for him, always daunting starting a new job especially after a period of nothing.

CC, how did you get rid of S's comforter?  I so want Kit to ditch his - it's minging.  He sucks his thumb when he has it (only then) but he also sucks the thing itself and it stinks.  It is - of all things - a baby Grobag that he once slept in and now has holes worn through where it's been sucked so much.  Eeww.  Would love him to give it up as I'm constantly having to wash it to stop him getting a rash round his mouth but I can't just take it away from him - that would be too cruel.  I have a very lazy left eye - it was picked up when I was about J's age and I had to wear hideous NHS glasses with the right eye frosted for a few years.  Eventually the strength of the eye improved a bit and they told me I didn't have to wear them any more.  Eye now is pretty bad but my right eye is 20:20 so compensates.  I suppose I could have laser surgery on the bad one?  Or just wear one contact lens?  But it doesn't really affect me in any way so I don't bother.

Great news about nut allergy Sonya.  We found out in a pretty irresponsible way that Kit doesn't have one - on the beach in Cornwall when he was about two, decided he was starving and raided the lunch bag containing peanut chewy bars ... good job no reaction as God knows where the nearest hospital was!

Enjoy the Games Ikkle!

Sensible decision re. Abingdon, Pip - and I agree, I don't think I could face putting in all that training if I knew there was no chance of getting the result I wanted/am capable of.

Just a few things to tie up at work and then I am free for two weeks!  Yay!!

25/07/2014 at 15:15

Have fab hols minks .  Re comforter - well, thru no planning I left our overnight bag on the ferry when we arrived at Lerwick. We couldn't collect it until the Sunday morning (because we were drinking with Lotte ). S accepted one night without it surprisingly well, so we didn't tell her we'd retrieved the bag and said we were going to collect everything when we left Lerwick at end of holidays. Dramatics that night and that was it. Lots of 'how grown up are yoy' type stuff - she's just got a place at Brownies, so more grown-up emphasising

25/07/2014 at 21:04

We are going to a holiday cottage nr Newport Minks - aka CM's house!  And yes we are going - phew.  Chemo to start wk after next, 6 cycles of drugs with the acronym FEC - as soon as hubby saw that he asked if it was invented in Ireland......yawn.

Will go on till mid Nov.  Had an e mail from my manager today saying pay will revert to SSP from mid Aug, which will have given me 3 months on full pay which I don't think is bad really.  I know it's nothing like what I would get if I worked in the public sector but given that I've only been working for them for just over a yr I can't complain.  I did discuss working with the oncologist and she basically said see how you feel, and that even though I only work 2 days a wk, 9-7 is a long day, and people like me who start off very fit and healthy often feel the tiredness more acutely than older people.

I should be fine to go home on the tube afterwards which is good news, as the logistics of getting hubby to drive me etc are far worse than tubing it.  The oncologist was lovely and certainly seemed to know her stuff.  In a strange way it is quite humbling how all these amazing people who are top of their fields in research, academia, clinical work etc sit down and talk about little old me.....

Anyway, need to pack more......

25/07/2014 at 21:49

Great news Caro. Hope you can now relax a little and enjoy a fabulous holiday at CM Villas.  Well done on pushing the system to get some results and dates. Great that you felt reassured by the oncologist you saw. 

Have great weekends all. Hope your lovely weather stays for you. We have a birthday party to go to on Sunday, one of Max's friends at daycare.Rubbish planning by the mum though as it is bang on nap time, duh!  It's a girl and Max has decided he wants to buy her a pink car (his concession to it being a girl!). Anybrilliantsuggestions for 4 year old girls gratefully accepted. 

25/07/2014 at 22:18

Sylvanian families? Lou still adores them. I'm trying to remember what I got my 4yr old niece in June and can't remember. Hells bells - two "glamorous" cocktails and I've gone to mush. 

25/07/2014 at 22:20

Oh I've remembered - Frozen DVD! She'll probably have that by now. There's some quite cool new Junior Lego over here so if that is available it's good. 

25/07/2014 at 23:00

Yay to holiday caro and also to having a great oncologist . Lol at cocktails EF, enjoy ... I'm on liquorice tea after my g&t!   OH, and if anyone needs help getting to sleep ... My friend gave me some Dr Stuarts Valerium Plus tea bags for my birthday ... Oh boy do they knock me out!!

26/07/2014 at 04:42

Thanks for suggestions EF. Lol to cocktails. Lightweight!

Feeling very alone at moment. We do have some nice friends here but feel so isolated and unsupported. Maybe building a house, having a 3rd baby and trying to keep a company afloat in such tough times was taking on too much!  That's the story of our lives though, we always seem to take on so much at once. Still haven't sorted what we will do with boys when I go in to hospital. We have a couple of potential options but wish we had family we could lean on. Sorry, rambling. It's the middle of the night and I should be asleep. 

26/07/2014 at 08:06

Ttid (()). I was awake at 3am last night too, with dodgy aches and wondering what on earth we would do if I went into labour right now! We are relying on my sister for looking after the girls but she just had an operation and is out of action for at least another two weeks (I've even looking after her as her boyfriend is useless!). But I am very lucky to have her nearby and willing to help. I do feel for you with no family over there and so much going on. Hope it all works out and you're in happy bubble of new baby soon then it will all seem worth it

great news caro! Enjoy wales at cms holiday home! 

26/07/2014 at 08:42

AW big hugs to both of you, esp. Ttid being so far away from family/friends. And yes, you are juggling an awful lot but it does always seem the way with pregnancies - was saying the same to a friend yesterday who's just had her 4th (a gorgeous wee boy after 3 girls). She runs a b&b and her husband is something to do with film production and is away a fair bit ... I think she's funding it a bit manic!!

26/07/2014 at 08:43

Sonya, I had loads of alarming middle-of-the-night creaks and groans panics with S, of course, always when hubby was away, and he nearly did miss the main event!!

26/07/2014 at 08:47

Well my hips are now sitting at the same height, so now my right leg isn't longer than my left!! Bodies are so strange, left side is all tight, right side loose and hyper-mobile (which I always forget), right side always Ferrell's the pain but it's the left side I should be stretching!!  No running done for three weeks, in fact I've done hardly any exercise at all ... Gulp ... But fingers crossed can ease back in next week and get back to some training ...

26/07/2014 at 20:33
Ttid and Sonya I understand your worries - my mum will def come up but she's 3 hours away. I have plenty of friends who'd happily help but my concern is if I go overdue many/most will be away for Christmas.
Hugs to you both, life is stressful enough at times without adding late pregnancy into the mix!! I am so relieved that hubby's job seems sorted now as I didn't fancy the current scenario with hating job, juggling evening shifts etc when this baby comes.

Right hubby and Matilda cooking pancakes - would be rude not to sample!!
26/07/2014 at 20:53

Greetings from CM 's kitchen

this is kind of surreal.......but we have had a lovely day.  Arrived early pm, had lunch then went for an explore.  Found the roman amphitheatre and barracks, a play area, a river they could chuck stones in.  Beautiful welsh sunshine to add to it

ellen and Jacob left us very nice welcoming notes, the trampoline is a big hit.  Tomorrow we are going to explore the Brecon Beacons and Monday the gower.  

Ttid I can't imagine building a house let alone doing it whilst having a baby!  We were going to build an extension and re do our kitchen this yr, but not now.  Hubby thought as I have so much time on my hands now we could still do it.........Er no!!  I can't stand any kid of change or upheaval at the best of times so now would not be a good time to do that!  We don't have lots of family near us but fortunately have built up a network of friends, so I know as soon as I get my chemo dates I can start organising play dates for Matilda Without feeling guilty.

26/07/2014 at 20:56

My friend from America who's coming the wk after next to visit is bringing with her child no 3- her 11 m old son, who came after 2 girls, so it is possible. She lives on the west coast and is coming for a grand total of 5 days bless her, and brining him coz he's too little to be without boob.  She will arrive a couple of days after I've started chemo so god knows what state i'll be in, but I can't wait to see her.

26/07/2014 at 23:03

Lol at surrealness of being in CMs house. I guess it was a bit like that with Lotte's family last week when we were entertaining each others families for tea and our on the boat etc. Fab though. Must get some pictures sorted for fbook!  Gower is gorgeous. Enjoy

27/07/2014 at 17:24

Ooh congrats to Mr Hoggle!  Great news!

We are only about 40 minutes from Newport Caro, we went to my dads caravan this weekend in Pembrokeshire which was unfortunately stressful.  Benedict did not want to sleep in the travel cot and Aidan just moaned!!!  He would not sit on the sofa's in the caravan, then he threw a strop on the beach about walking all of 10 minutes so he was in my bad books and as a result no one could have ice cream because he had been such a horror urgh kids.  Anyway instead of doing anything there today we were in the car at 9am on our way home.  Sometimes my kids are exhausting!!!  And I felt bad because Martha was good all weekend and didn't get the treats she should have done because of Aidan's behaviour!!

Anyway for those heading the Pembrokeshire Coppet Hall Beach has a fab new restaurant, they have remodelled the carpark and beach area and it looks so much nicer, its the one you can walk to Saundersfoot from.

27/07/2014 at 19:46
Oh God JT! Mare. I would obviously contest it to high heaven. My friend who's a vet nurse just got told her days were changing and she discovered from the professional association that you need to be given x wks notice etc-i'll ask her what it is. Are you a member of a union? They'll be the ones to give legal advice surely.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.