Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

44,761 to 44,780 of 45,801 messages
PG3
27/07/2014 at 20:58

Hey Jane

I didn't think they could.  If you get lost in finding the answer, i have a few friends I could ask who work in HR.

Yikes, not what you need.

27/07/2014 at 21:46

JT my friend said she was told you have to be given 1wks notice of proposed changes for every yr worked.  Certainly after more than 6 months mat leave they don't have to give you your exact job back but they have to give you an equivalent job.  I suppose they could argue that includes changing days........

kinsey sounds hardwork!   M is being a bit of a handful at the moment which is tiring.  it's just so frustrating when you know how nice they can be but then they aren't!  Especially when she does so many stupid things that Eric immediately copies and she's old enough to know better.  Sign.

are you in Hereford Kinsey?  Saw signs for that today when we were in Brecon.  Amazing dairy with delicious ice cream in Brecon if you haven't been.

gower tomorrow.

PG3
27/07/2014 at 21:53

Kinsey we have days/weekends like that as well. My 3 yr old daughter can be a champion winger and it can be so draining, esp if the baby is crying too.

Caro - brilliant that you are chez cm

I did my sprint tri today. Wanted sub 1 h 30 and did 1h 24 including a 26.30 5k which I was Pleased with. Its the first time I have felt like I am vaguely running since I started rurunning again. (Ignore the typo, my tablet goes mental sometimes). Really enjoyed it and had a massage this afternoon. Hubby in good books with me today.

27/07/2014 at 22:43

Sorry skim reading only

yippee to speedy tris and winning age cats, holidays, zonking tbags and mr hoggles new job

boo to impending tiredness caro, thumb sucking, house woes, changing days JT and worries about labourtime babysitting.

Have been away for a few days but our open air theatre treat was a washout as it tipped down. Boys were really pleased having given up the thumbs but i guess home brings familiarity as tom had taken his sockglove off to suck just now. He was sobbing when hubby woke him to tell him as he has been promised a raft of treats as rewards. 

PG3
28/07/2014 at 06:55

Jane, sounds like a nightmare.  I hope you get it sorted.  I would make sure you stand up for yourself and try and establish as much contact with them as possible.  I know the person has gone away, but maybe reply with a letter stating your thoughts and that you are disappointed that the letter was sent just before the holidays when there is no one to talk to.  Work places often get jittery if they sense a maternity returner is getting formal.

Ttid - sorry to hear you are feeling overwhelmed.  As Jane said, it's hard enough having your family a decent car ride away (mine are 3 hours on a decent traffic run).

We are putting our flat on the market soon.  Bad timing with it almost being August etc but we need to be in by end of Jan!  The only place we have to look for places at the moment is Bushey, Herts. Anyone have any info/thoughts on there or other Herts places.  We only want what everyone else wants... nice house, 4 beds, decent garden, good schools, quiet street, close to shops/parks/train station etc etc!  

28/07/2014 at 09:51

Oh Janie that is a nightmare and how cruel (and cowardly) for them to send you a letter and basically run away leaving you to stress over it over the holidays. When are you due to go back? I was very impressed with your determination and professional approach to dealing with your horrible nursery situation - sounds like this needs more of the same. Sending you some hugs - and hope you get to catch up with Caro!

Hubby is starting work in his new job on Wednesday. He has a months notice to work at his old place but as he was only getting 2 shifts a week hes able to do them Fri and Sat and start the other job straight away. He's so happy, it really is great!

M is not well today, very lethargic after daycare. She didn't seem herself when I picked her up and am a bit sad that possibly no one noticed (they may have and I just didn't see them when I collected her but no one commented). Anyway doubt she will be at daycare tomorrow but hubby will have to deal with it as I'm up in Hamilton for a meeting for the day 3.5 hours each way!! Will be knackered afterwards but I've got a new audio book so am looking forward to the peace and quiet and also meeting up with my 2 favourite colleagues for a planning afternoon - yay!

Looks like a fair bit of impending house moving or wanting to move going on. Once hubby has completed his probation period we are hoping to start looking - dying to have our own place!

Oh and I think today we arrived at the 'why' stage - deep breath........

28/07/2014 at 17:02

Oh JT that's hard. It's so difficult to get childcare sorted that any sort of change needs so much planning. Hopefully if new job share is nice as you say and she can change then she will? I don't think you have the Friday issue we have in Edinburgh whereby Fridays are always a half day (don't get me started on that) tho I'm never sure if that means people want to work that day or not!

28/07/2014 at 17:18

Great news on hubbies job Hoggle. What a weight of your shoulders that will be.

Bugger about the childcare JT. Hope you can get it sorted without too much hassle.

Hugs to TT, you have so much on your plate at the moment. Don't forget to be kind to yourself and lean on  folk if you can. Do you have family who will come over after the birth?

Enjoy your break Caro, must seem strange being in CMs house right enough! Like CC says it was a bit freaky when she was up here!!

Well done on the Tri Pip.

So much to catch up on, struggling to remember. Sorry if I don't manage to name check everyone. Have been managing to read every few days but can't seem to find time to post.

Have been having a brilliant summer. Had a wee heatwave up here so the best weather we have had in many years. It was nice when CC was up and then it got even warmer. Just back from a weekend away in the caravan with some friends and their families, good times.

Running going well. 70 miles last week with 2 speed sessions and also did 3 miles at MP at the end of my 20 mile run yesterday afternoon. Pleased with that but weary today. Not sure a weekend of sun and alcohol is the best prep for a long run, or maybe it is!!

Brother in law and his family are up now so lots on. Sophie is 14 on Friday - how?? But on Thursday she flies off with her fiddle group - they got invited to the Sidmouth Folk Festival in Devon and are headlining with Aly Bain and Phil Cunningham, what a lovely chance. All expenses paid too which is a bonus. Then the following week Dylan is off to Stirling for a week with the Shetland U11s football team (no expenses paid unfortunately, £450 forked out, owch). Jet setting kids eh!

I was trying to schedule in a wee jolly away to race but can't see in happening. Can't believe I have only raced once this year! Got the Scottish half at the beginning of Sept though!

28/07/2014 at 20:04

Thanks all for your kind thoughts.  No, no one will be coming out even after the birth.  Mr TT's dad is not in great health and his Mum would never leave him for any period of time.  My parents are set in their ways and to be honest it would probably be more stressful if they DID come.  My sister and brother, just no!  Would never work.  We will battle through this on our own but wish we didn't have quite so much on our plates at the moment.  Feel very foreign, especially when dealing with contractors for the house, everyone seems so comfortable with lying here that dealing with people is nearly impossible.

JT, loved that you had such a lovely time in your caravan last week.  So impressed that you managed with all 3 boys on your own, you give me hope!  Can't believe how your job information has been communicated to you.  Hope you can get things sorted to your satisfaction.  Are jobs in your area hard to come by?  I recall some of the stories you have told about your job being horrendous, is there any chance that you can take a decent redundancy and find yourself another job somewhere better?  Hope you manage to meet up with Caro and make the freaky even freakier.  I love that so many of you are getting together now, amazing what an internet forum can do, the support I have found on here over the years has been invaluable, we're a great bunch!

Sometimes we feel like bolting for home and the security that would bring.  Other times we look around ourselves at the quality of life on offer here and know it would be a mistake.  Yesterday evening we all just jumped on the golf cart and drove the 5 minutes to the beautiful beach near us and sat and watched the boys playing on the beach.  Max had a ball jumping in the surf and Os toddled around in the shallows and shouted at the waves.  We're so lucky to live here, just wish we could chill out and enjoy it more. 

Lotte, that's awesome that Sophie's band are headlining.  I have some friends in Sidmouth.  Will have to find out if they are going to the festival.  Great running, especially after your niggles. 

28/07/2014 at 21:48

Lovely beach day today at port eynon on the gower.  Drove for 90 mins and as soon as we got there Eric decided he wanted to go HOME  and had a bit of a tantrum, but in the end we had a lovely day, it was pretty, I did a wee walk up to the point with a nice view, the kids swam, we ate ice cream, the sun shone (2 short showers but no British beach trip would be the same without them!)

then got fish and chips on the way home

lotte even I've heard of Phil Cunningham and Aly Bain.  Comes from my Glasgow Celtic connection days and living with a fiddler and a piper from the highlands.

jt if you're not sorting out work sh*t on thurs then we'd love to do something, don't mind what- your choice!  You know child friendly things around here.  We're planning on cyfarthfa castle tomorrow. I know it's easy for me to say but when I finally plucked up the courage to leave awful job after 7 yrs after second mat I immediately thought why didn't I do this sooner.  But then I found another job without too much trouble, but at the time when I left I didn't have another one go to, I had had enough!

ttid it will get easier, esp when max goes to school.  You will meet people people etc.  it is hard, but like you say you did it for the quality of life, it doesn't sound like you re super close to either side of the family, 

28/07/2014 at 21:50

So would they be more supportive if you weren't living the other side of the Atlantic?  If I were you brother nd sister I would be relishing the fact that I had a close relative in Florida and be visiting as often as poss, like when my sis lived in Hawaii and I went 6 times in 5 yrs ( pre hubby and kids needless to say!)

28/07/2014 at 22:03

Sounds like a lovely day Caro, particularly envious of the fish and chips on the way home.  I know it's rarely as good as you think it is going to be but I can almost smell the salty, vinegary, yummy smell of it wrapped in the paper, drool!

You're absolutely right Caro, not especially close to either side of the family so I am probably yearning for something that would not even happen if we were in UK.

28/07/2014 at 22:44
Glad you are having fun caro. Sorry about kitchen btw. Have planning permission for 2 story extension to the side to make new mahoosive kitchen and family room and another bedroom upstairs and my bedroom being made enormous and with balcony. But now I have taken new job I can't afford it

Cyfathfa castle is fab tho. Enjoy
28/07/2014 at 22:44

Poop to lack of family support and long commutes

yippee to fab summers, successful long runs and chippie dinners

tried a long run today but hadnt really eaten much before. Took camelbak of water and some fruit pastilles but it was hot and hilly. Hit a mile long hill at 11 miles and had to walk as too steep, took a good drink but legs cramped up when i tried to run again and my foot dropped too. Very painful spasms so called home and was picked up. Was dreaming of entering an ironman with RF until that point! 

29/07/2014 at 07:51

Managed to keep the recovery shake down for a few hours but then spewed..... Not been like this after a training run before! Was obviously harder than I thought. 

29/07/2014 at 09:26
Camlo the heat has bn hard,I have worn my hydration backpack on 6-8 Milers as the sweat has bn pouring out. Have bn running at 8:30-9 pm to try to avoid the worst of it.
29/07/2014 at 09:35

You're all doing so well to run at all. The heat, hayfever and too much sport on tv had meant that I am doing sfa. Have put about 4lbs on since going back to work so forcing myself to go to weightwatchers tonight and get it sorted.

On train to Glasgow via everywhere at the moment. Apparently there's a points failure so the usual train is delayed and is hugely busy anyway so am on the slow train via timbuctoo. 

29/07/2014 at 17:36

Hi TTid, we also don't get much parental help (despite having moved a lot closer to them all too!).  Alan's parents would help more but they are in Dublin so we are in a similar situation but I'm sure you will be fine.  The worst bit is waiting for number 3 to arrive but once that bit is over you will just be busy and as Caro said once Max is in school that will make a difference.  Come September Benedict will do 3 mornings at play school, and Aidan and Martha will be in full time education, i think the last year has been tougher with a very active toddler and moving house but it still hasn't been that bad.  Would definitely help if he slept through!!!

I think the head is probably to blame Camlo - hope you are feeling better now!

29/07/2014 at 18:58
Finally got a date and time for 1st chemo-next Tues at 12pm. Wibble. Will see oncologist first to ask my zillion questions, and sign consent form-yes I agree that the drugs you are going to give me will make me feel sh*t, poss give me mouth ulcers, knacker my immune system, and if i'm really lucky give me heart failure and leukaemia later on down the rd just when i'm putting this all behind me. But of course I will sign the form because I don't really have a choice.
29/07/2014 at 19:02
Oh yes and make my hair fall out! They did talk to me about a wig and I said no immediately-i think i'd be even more self conscious with a wig than a hat/scarf, plus I don't think they're free on the NHS, so i'd have to spend loads of money on something I don't think i'd want to wear. Matilda spent some of her b day money on a hello kitty buff yesterday from an outdoor shop, so she can wear it in solidarity with mummy. I asked her if she'd shave her head too but she wasn't keen....

Had another nice day at a castle today, with play arean splash bit, train ride etc. Tomorrow back to the beach. CM has mentioned somewhere with large sand dunes that we can sledge down
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.