Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

46,381 to 46,400 of 46,692 messages
22/12/2014 at 23:38

Caro - I think they've had him since he was about 1 month old and have been very responsible about looking after him, so I imagine the vaccines have all been done properly.  They said though that he wasn't fully immune until 15 mths?  They have pet insurance fortunately but it really isn't looking good for him and will be so sad if he doesn't make it.  Is parvovirus not very common then?

Good to put a face to a name but sad that her cancer has spread .  I guess the statistics focus more on the cured ones more than those who aren't so lucky.  It's such a horrible disease.  

I can parkrun for the next 2 Saturdays, yeay, as there are no swimming lessons.  Might work off a biscuit or 2...

22/12/2014 at 23:49

By the way Caro, is it transferable to cats?  I've been told not, but I've also read that it can be.  Probably low risk but the dog had been in the house we were in on Sunday, though obviously wasn't there anymore, but the virus can live for some time in the environment can't it?

23/12/2014 at 07:22
Great news re. Results Nuro - huge relief for you and maybe it's given hubby the reality check he needed. I really hope you guys have a peaceful and happy christmas!
That accident in Glasgow sounds awful - heart breaking any time of year but somehow more so at Christmas.
Caro - yes a huge amount of soul searching after my brother died. I eventually reached a place where I have a much better perspective on life and what really matters. It might seem odd but I genuinely think I'm a happier person than I was before losing him because I am much more able to brush off the silly life niggles than I used to and spend a lot more time focusing on what I am grateful for than I used to - I guess I am more mindful - not all the time I must add (as you guys will know from my rants on here!) and it takes work.
We've definitely had some tough times this year but I am just feeling so lucky and grateful just now.
Ttid haven't heard from you in a few days - I hope all is ok and you are just swept up in the mad lead up to Christmas.
Pg3 -huge grrrrr to your solicitor - can you sack him or would that be counter productive at this stage?
Freya continues to be a wee dream - love her to bits!!!
23/12/2014 at 07:33

No not transferable to cats JG, and yes they are correct that in order to be fully immune the one yr vaccine is very important too.  But if he really was vaccinated properly and it definitely is parvo (not just a gastro inf that the vets are calling parvo) then the vets who vaccinated him should be told and they should definitely inform the vaccine manufacturers as it is without a doubt a vaccine failure.

parvo is much less common than it used to be because of vaccines, but because of that people have forgotten about it, and think that vets only recommend vaccines as a money spinner- not because the vaccines actually protect against real diseases that kill.  A bit like childhood immunisations really.........

man why is the Santa train so early??

23/12/2014 at 08:45

caro - are the vaccines 100% effective? I didn't think they were. when I had a young cat who had leukaemia (in spite of being vaccinated religiously), I was told the vaccines were only about 70% effective, which I was horrified about. in any case, it's likely that this cat actually had leukaemia from a young kitten, and, although he was tested when we adopted him and was negative, it just hadn't shown up at that point. he was extremely sick as a kitten and then seemed to rally but then went downhill rapidly when he was about 2 and died very quickly. the vets seem to think he had managed to hold it off for a while and then succumbed to it.

23/12/2014 at 11:29

Shame its not a bit colder, then this pesky rain would be much more exciting snow!!!

23/12/2014 at 16:48

No vaccine is a 100% effective (but much higher than 70%) however it would still be classed as a vaccine failure and the vets and drug company ought to know, if it was properly vaccinated according to their schedule.  You are right about the kitten and leukaemia - that is a poss scenario.

Santa train was fun, watched a fun santa move on netflix this afternoon after signing up for a free trial, then just come in from a 5.5 mile run.  

23/12/2014 at 19:49

Caro - my BIL's girlfriend says the vet is going to inform the vaccination company, as it has been ineffective in this dog's case.  I guess the only real risk to other dogs in the area is ones who have had the same vaccine and are an "at risk" breed?  Latest news is his white blood cells are on the up (means his bone marrow is trying to support his immune system?) and he now hasn't been sick for 3 hours, no diarrhoea (sorry TMI!) since 12pm and he has had a drink of water, so fingers crossed he is very slowly on the up.  Really hope so.  Good to see your vet brain is still as sharp as ever Caro !

PG3
23/12/2014 at 20:55

Caro - defo still have the vet brain  I wanted to be a vet when i was younger (i grew up on a farm) but i wasnt good enough at sciences, oh and also prepared to work hard enough... Which is why I have a Geography degree.  The degree for people who really can't be arsed (sorry if anyone else has one, it was a doss though)  Reading about your 5.5 mile run reminds me that i need to go for a run.  tomorrow...

Sorry to hear about the lady whose cancer has returned/spread

TT - glad your nursery ladies family are ok ish.  Jezz.  Poor people.  Wrong place, wrong time.  That's life and it can be so horrible at times  It leads me on to the mindfullness talk.  I am really trying to be more mindful and not sweat the small stuff.  

JG - my eating has gone way out of control in the last week.  I am scared of the scales.  I would need park run x 10 to work off my eating!  Hope the dog is ok.

Hoggle - glad things are still good with lovely Freya.  It's too late to sack the solicitor. We are nearly there.  He knows that too.

I am a bit concerned about putting too much about work on here, but it appears that my new boss is an utter control freak.  Not good.  I am pretty laid back at work and just get on with whatever i am told to do, but i have my limits and i fear they may be pushed.  Let's just see how we get on.

Happy Christmas everyone.  We are almost there.

24/12/2014 at 15:44

Quick post to say happy christmas folks. WAs up all night with arch then tom and then me too all vomming with explosive diarrhoea. Have never felt so ill and really thought i was going to pass out during one bout! No sick since this morning though so hopeful that we will have a better night and can actually enjoy xmas day. Washing machine on overdrive! 

24/12/2014 at 16:38
Oh Dear Camlo that is not good, hope ur all on the mend and have an appetite back by tomorrow
24/12/2014 at 17:13

So far so good, My tumble drier is practically smoking but i want all clean beds tonight.

Doesnt feel like xmas eve without eldest but he doesnt want to risk it until we have been vom free for 24 hours.  

24/12/2014 at 22:10

Fingers crossed Camlo!  Hope you are able to enjoy tomorrow xx

Merry Christmas all!  Think I have done everything I meant to.....

25/12/2014 at 10:58

Merry Christmas dear friends xx 

25/12/2014 at 22:20

Hope santa was kind, dinner was lush and troubles were few

Had a mixed day - missing my Nan but lovely to see the boys so happy. Thankfully the spew cleared so i got a 2 mile run in this morning! 

Very tired so watching mrs browns boys but intend on crashing after! 

26/12/2014 at 18:02

Merry Christmas all, hope you've had lovely food-filled days, and alcohol if appropriate!  Very jealous of Caro getting a selfie with Christine Ohuruogu!

Poor you all being ill Camlo, sounds horrible - well impressed you've been out for a run!  I want to do the parkrun tomorrow but now snow is forecast tonight so we'll have to see if it's even on in the morning - typical!

Home from my mum's now, glad to be back, her flat is tiny and crammed full of furniture and clutter!  Very happy but tired children .

Also, Archie the Rottweiler has recovered!   Amazing given the odds he had on Tuesday.  He is going home tomorrow - my BIL and girlfriend are VERY happy.

26/12/2014 at 19:42

My children were little horrors on Christmas Eve, B woke up at 2.30am, and then they tag teamed and spent the rest of the evening wandering into our room to check if they could get up yet!!

26/12/2014 at 21:43

Merry Christmas to u all. Am just in bed, knackered. A fun filled two days but really tired now, lol!!!

glad u are all better Camlo, sounds really awful.

Caro- u are amazing. Well done, u really are a super mum!

JG- glad the doggy recovered.

Hoggle- glad baby Freya doing well, ahhhhhhhhhhhhh x

Nurofen- haven't posted for ages but have read back a wee bit & am sorry to hear what u have been going through, sounds dreadful. Really glad the health scare came back clear. Hope u have managed to have a good Christmas.(((((()))))) x

CM- hope your keeping busy now, hugs ((((())))) also.

Hubby & I managed to get out on the MB's toady as we stayed at my mum n dads last  night. So the girls were entertained by my sis & her hubb for a couple of hours. Was a very cold, crisp day, -3 degrees, brrrrrrrrrrrrr. Pretty icy on the 'puffer' route in places & I am such a big whoose I walked a few bits, lol!!!! Made Christmas day my 'rest' day. Tomoz I need to swim and run. Nearly the end of week three base training.

how u getting on Camlo????

26/12/2014 at 21:48

Not long until your race CC. Can u post a link sometime of how we can track you??? Are u nearly all organised with your kit & food etc???? Flip I hope it's not this cold for you, brrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

i am working this Sunday night & then New Years eve night, what we call Hogmanay here. Not that bothered but would obviously rather not work, lol

Anyway hope u are all good ????

27/12/2014 at 20:52

Had a lovely xmas - although there was a stage when hubby, my Dad and the kids were out leaving me to get on with cooking, and I felt very emotional, and I don't do emotional......

Still very much trying to get my head round things, still feel in bizarre la la land a lot of the time but physically I guess i'm getting there -  hey if I can still beat Christine Ohurugou right  ?

Did parkrun as well this morning - cold, windy and raining compared to yesterday where it was still and sunny.  I was first lady yesterday and 2nd today, but a whole minute slower today and it was way harder.  Happy though - never been first lady in a race ever before (apart from park run).  It's such a low key race there's no prizes or anything, it is almost like a parkrun in all but name.  

Off to suffolk for the day tomorrow, to see friends.  Took M to Nutcracker today which was really nice, beautifully done.  Her first ballet.  Definitely classier than last yrs disney on ice!

Hope all lurgies have left Camlo.  So cool about the training prize RF!!

My 1/2 mara training prog is supposed to start on Mon.......10 wks tomorrow!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.