Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

81 to 100 of 45,469 messages
09/07/2007 at 12:04
Nice to hear from you, MM - wondered whether you'd find this forum! Just checked and I've actually been back running for 6 weeks now, not 4! Time flies! My longest run is still only 4.5 miles but gradually upping the distance each week. Interestingly I seem to be a little quicker than I was pre-pregnancy although I definitely lost a lot of my former stamina. It's slowly coming back, but I still have days where I feel quite tired and heavy - probably just due to the demands of being a mum and never getting out for my run before about 7:15pm, which is later than I'm used to and I'm also starving by then!

MM, I'm still heavier than pre-pregnancy too, by about 4-5lb (now 7 stone 4-5lb instead of 7 stone). I don't much care what I weigh, it's how I look and how my clothes fit that matters to me. I can just about get into my smallest jeans (which were a bit loose when I last marathon trained) but wouldn't wear them as they feel uncomfortable and don't look that flattering! It's mainly my waist that's bigger but I guess that's to be expected.

Kit is now 14lb 1oz at just over 4 months old. He's doing really well and after a blip last weekend where he woke up constantly all through the night, is now pretty much sleeping through the night again. He woke up this morning at 5am and although I went into his room, he settled himself back to sleep after a couple of minutes without needing me to intervene. I have a feeling he may be an early mover: he's SO strong, and every time I try to sit him down on my lap or in his bouncy chair, he puts his feet down and pushes himself to a standing position. He's also holding his head really steady when sitting, and tries to lean forward in his chair to retrieve his toys if he drops them. I find it amazing how much progress they make in such a short space of time.

Janie, I went on to the Hal Higdon website (www.halhigdon.com) and under Training Schedules, went to Beginner and then the Novice Supreme marathon schedule: a 30-week programme designed to take you from beginner to marathon. The first few weeks (which I'm doing at the moment) are ridiculously easy - runs of 1.5 miles - but I decided it was worth being over-cautious if it meant the difference between being able to run and being sat at home with a bad back. You can always modify the schedule a bit if you find it too tedious.
09/07/2007 at 14:03
Yes I am constantly amazed by their progress. They munch their way through so much food like bread, carrots and beans with only 2 teeth which is great to watch. Harry particularly loves bread and stuffs it into his face.

Our two slept through from 11pm till 7am from 12 weeks and from 7pm till 7am from 5.5 months. Much as I love them it is great when they go to bed!! We have also had a few teething bad nights but they are very few, I feel very lucky to have such good sleepers. Makes all the difference for running.

Have done 3 10ks all around 41 mins, so a wee way off where I should be, but did a 7 mile race last week in 46 mins, which is getting better.

Only down side with my two as they are still very sicky babies. They don't seem to have a full switch so I find it very hard. Now they are mobile its even worse than before, little possets everywhere, and not just milk obviously! Fish and cheese is really bad! Have tried gaviscon but that makes it worse so looks like have to wait till they grow out of it. Joy!
09/07/2007 at 14:12
Hi good to hear from you MM, it sounds like you're doing really well, thanks for the info on getting back into running, it's tips like that that I need! Having two sicky babies must be difficult, hope that they get through that soon.

Minks - thanks for the website info, I tend to work best when following a programme so that should be a good thing for me to do. Kit does sound very strong, he'll be running before you know it by the sounds of things!
09/07/2007 at 20:47
Hello all, fallen off the scene for a few weeks - holiday and more DIY chaos. Scarlett is now 15 (nearly 16 weeks) so I guess that is about 3 1/2 months now - weighing in at 12lb 3oz. She is soooo cute and smiley and has filled out nicely with creases and chubby bits in all the right places! My toddler is nearly 3 now and continues to challenge... potty training continues and took a definite relapse after holiday. It doesn't help that we no-longer have a fully functional bathroom (just a bath & shower) and are relying on the downstairs utility room for sink and toilet! Hey Ho. The worrying thing is that we haven't actually chosen a new bathroom suite yet!
Fitness/weight-wise, I'm aroundabout pre-pregnancy weight, it fluctuates a bit, probably because I'm regaining muscle but haven't burn't all the fat off yet! Same as most others, hips are same, waist is definitely not as yet. Low-riding trousers look fine but definitely not the higher-waisted things. Especially my cropped running trousers that cut right across the bit below my belly-button, a nice attractive wodge of fat droops over the top!!
Running is gradually creeping up, usually manage a couple of treadmill runs (so boring but only way I can get more than 1 run a week in) and then one out on the road. Usually a couple of 3 milers and one 4-5. Have also got back to climbing wall - a much more interesting way to weight-train and gradually my fingers are regaining strength and toughness! It's also great for leg-strength.
Scarlett sleeps well still although still doing a 10:30 feed, gradually trying to cut down milk here but hubbie cut it down a bit too much last night I think as she was awake at 5.15am - nice!
MM - you sound very speedy! I dream of a 41min 10km (43 being my pb so far).
Not sure how long you've got now JT - hope your feeling well and fingers crossed on baby staying right position.
10/07/2007 at 23:22
Sounds like we're all doing well - babies too! MM, I'm impressed that your two slept through from 11pm to 7am from 12 weeks! Kit managed it a couple of times at about 10 weeks but then couldn't seem to get beyond 5am for a while. We didn't start feeding him in the night again and he usually resettled with his dummy, but this all went a bit pear-shaped once he started pulling it out of his mouth and throwing it on the floor, then yelling for it!

From last week (after the blip where he was waking almost every hour) I started putting him down in his cot fully awake, rather than soothing him into a state of semi-sleep first, and allowing him to settle himself to sleep. Since I started doing this he's slept much better both during the day and at night. I think we just weren't giving him the opportunity to get himself off to sleep on his own, as at the first murmur we'd be there stroking his head or giving him his dummy. He'll now settle himself back to sleep if he wakes in the night - unless (like last night) he has some trapped wind and is uncomfortable.

CC, good to hear from you. My 10K PB is 43 as well - would love to run 41 minutes! MM was super-speedy pre-pregnancy though - I doubt I'll ever be that fast and at the moment racing and PBs are not priorities. I relish just having the time to run, and enjoy the fact that it now feels SO much more comfortable than during pregnancy. I can run more than a mile without needing a loo stop, which is so refreshing! And this time last year I had to stop during my runs to throw up into the nearest bush! Seems mad now that the smell of vegetables made me vomit - had roasted veg and pasta tonight for dinner and thoroughly enjoyed it, yet had to ban hubby from cooking it a year ago!

Not sure my waist will ever be as small again, but not sure I care any more. My belly button is definitely permanently stretched - it used to be neat and round, now it's elongated and the top half sticks out very slightly. But a small price to pay for my beautiful baby boy. C-section scar has faded a lot - hubby calls it Kit's escape hatch and says it looks like a smile :-)
10/07/2007 at 23:24
Last post makes it sound as though I still need loo stops, just less frequently - not the case! Haven't had to stop at all - yet ...
11/07/2007 at 10:16
Hi all, everyone seems to be doing so well, I always know there'll be lots of positive stuff here.

Hard to believe the little one is 9 months and got 8 teeth already! This time last year I was moaning about being pregnant in the heat!

I'm selling at my local NCT sale on Saturday. I've never been before but I'm hoping I can clear out some of the excessive baby things in my house.

You all sound so organised, how do you all do it? Sometimes I say to myself Superwoman has nothing on me. I love being a mum but it can be relentless.

I've had school parties for the last 6 weeks. It's a good way to keep a 3 year old entertained on a Saturday but can be tiring having to get the 9mth old ready as well.

I work full time and my 3 year old goes to Nursery, my 9 mth old goes one day a week and the other days he's with my MIL.
I get back from work, make a little dinner for us all then relax with DH and the kids for an hour, after that I start to get ready for the next day and get them ready for bed. I might watch a bit of TV and run on the treadmill for half an hour but just feel constantly rushed!

My husband's not a runner and although he's very supportive he can't understand why I'm running a half marathon on a Sunday when that's my chance to rest!

I've been thinking about getting a live in au-pair but I'm rather nervous of letting a stranger look after the kids.
Is this the norm for you all? Should I quit moaning and get with the programme! Any tips please share on how you all juggle things.
11/07/2007 at 13:35
MM - My Harry was sicky until he was over 1 year old - I had hoped weaning would help, but I think it's just a matter of time and development. Can't remember the last time he was sick (which is something: he used to bring up something about 10 times a day!!). It made me smile when you said you find possets everywhere - it's worse once they're mobile isn't it? I used to find manky bits of puke (or food he'd stored in his mouth and spat out) all over the place!!

glad to hear everyone's doing so well, I don't often contribute these days (now mine is over 2) but it's always interesting to have a read.....

Hegs x
11/07/2007 at 13:45
Its worse after their milk and cereal in the morning and after their afternoon milk. Have tried reducing the milk which makes no difference. Just have to live it I guess, may be something to do with being a bit prem. They do love their food though.

Minks I always put them down awake. They both suck their thumbs so settle themselves pretty quickly, they didn't take to a dummy on the times we tried in desperation, which is good really. Since becoming mobile they seem to need more sleep again. Now sleep for 45 mins between 9am and 10am and then for 2 hours after their lunch. They then have 12 hours over night which is bliss!

I am loving my running, but do find it very tiring after wiping up puke all day! Am lucky that hubbie home by 6pm every night so I go out then while he does boys bath. That or I get at 6.30 and go then before he goes to work. Some days he as at home working, so that means its more relaxed. He loves seeing them during the day too.
11/07/2007 at 13:48
Just read your post again Minks about the veg this time last year. I was the same, what an awful time! Couldn't brush my teeth without throwing up either! Nightmare!

Now thinking about trying again, would love a girl, but not till next year or year after, see how finances go.
12/07/2007 at 23:30
MM, I put Kit down awake too. We only really started doing this properly last week and it's made a huge difference. The main problem now is that he won't nap during the day for longer than 45 minutes. He's struggling to stay awake by 8:30 (after getting up at 7:00) and naps from then until about 9:15. Then he wants to go down again at 11:30 and again will nap for about 45 minutes or so, and he has half an hour in the afternoon, usually around 4:00. I've tried to make him stay awake longer so he'll nap at 9:00 and 12:00 but he just can't seem to last out that long. I've been working on getting him to have a longer sleep at lunchtime but am fighting a losing battle - once he's awake he's wide awake and any attempts to make him go back to sleep just result in him getting so distressed and worked up that I give up as it just isn't worth it. He sleeps pretty well at night and doesn't seem to suffer for his relatively short naps - it's just that I'd appreciate a little more time to get things done during the day sometimes!

Tonia, I don't know how you manage with working full time. I'm hoping to go back part time (am due to meet with my less-than-supportive manager in a couple of weeks so we'll see) but if we didn't need the money I would far rather not go back at all. Never thought I'd say that as I used to enjoy work, but I've amazed myself by how much I love being with my baby boy and just don't want to be parted from him. If/when I do go back, hubby is going to work a day from home each week and I know he's looking forward to spending more time with Kit, so in some ways it would be selfish of me to give up work completely.

MM, can't believe you're thinking about trying again! Be careful - you could end up with another set of twins!! Funnily enough, if we were to have another, I think I'd want another boy - just feel I'm more of a 'boy mummy' than a 'girl mummy'. Not sure yet that I want another - or rather not sure that I want to go through another Caesarean birth. I know there may be an option to have a normal birth next time but quite often if you have a section first time round you end up having another. Also as I had a section (and Kit was breech) I wouldn't be able to have midwife-led care next time which would make all the antenatal appointments such a hassle.

I'm finding running tiring too - but am enjoying it probably more than I did before. Perhaps just because I appreciate the time I get to run all the more as I have so little time to myself these days.
13/07/2007 at 08:55
Minks I think most babies go through a phase of not sleeping during the day, my two did exactly the same. They will then wake at night, and this is when most people start weaning. I started at 5.5 months even though mine were prem. I have friend who has a big baby boy about the same age as Kit and she is looking to start weaning at 20 weeks. His daytime sleeps are awful unless she takes him for a very long walk! And he is waking at night. HV has told her to wait till 6 months, but I don't know anyone who has done that.

When he starts rolling he will tire himself out enough to sleep well during the day.
13/07/2007 at 09:19
The weaning thing is so difficult isn't it? My sister weaned her older two at 20 weeks (which was the advice at the time) and they were fine. She's now looking to wean her youngest at 16 weeks as he is such a big baby (16lb 12oz) and showing all the signs of needing weaning. She has the full support of her HV who has pointed out that the breastfeeding guidelines are actually from the WHO which obviously takes into account the developing world where it is safer for the babies to be exclusively breastfed until 6 months. Think it's a really individual issue though.

CC - Thanks for your message, I've got just under two weeks to go by my EDD so watch this space!!!

MM - Hope your sick situation improves soon, apparently I have a high risk of the same problem so I may well be rooting for advice in several months!
13/07/2007 at 13:56
My friend has started the baby rice after another day of bad sleeps and a bad night. He is 19 weeks. Her GP has told her to go ahead even though HV was against it. Think I have a great HV, she is much more willing to give her opinion rather than just the text book answer. She was fine about us weaning early.

Boys do seem much better sick wise today. I used cows milk on their cereal instead of formula and it seems to be better. Fingers crossed!

Janie my two have always been bad. I used to be breast feeding while out and Harry particularly used to then chuck up all over me. Muslin cloths and bibs and lots of them. Now I have wipes everywhere and anti-bac spray at the ready!
16/07/2007 at 09:57
Just thought I'd share my running diary with you all

Diary of a Running Mum ;-)

Ran the Wycombe Half Marathon yesterday. Completed it in 2hr 9 mins. 2 mins faster than the St Albans half 6 wks ago. (My goal is to run in under 2 hours before the end of the year). Although the time is not really important.

It felt fantastic running, so liberating...

My husband had to go on a business trip on so was not on hand to help with the kids. I drafted in my brother to look after Jonathan (my 3 year old) and my MIL to look after my 9mth old. I got everything ready the night before and left them with instructions.

I really enjoyed the race and wished I could have stayed around afterwards to enjoy the atmosphere. I chatted to a few ladies including a few mums about how to fit in running around the family.

I got back home to find Jonathan wearing a completely different set of clothes to the one's I'd left out he'd picked out his favourites himself.
He poured a whole bottle of body wash down the bath and couldn't wait to tell me of the programmes he'd been watching (all the ones I normally don't let him watch) He'd had a fantastic time with his Uncle and asked when I'd be going for another race!!
His uncle said Jonathan told him what to do - (not all of it true!)

I've booked in for the Harlow 10 in 3 weeks and I can't wait! I may not be a fast runner but the freedom is second to none!
Have a good week all..

17/07/2007 at 20:26
Tonia - well done on the running. I know what you mean about the freedom. I love and appreciate running even more now. I think we all have our own private running goals whether those aimed for times are considered fast or slow...I wouldn't get out as often as I do if I was racing (myself).
I started weaning Oliver 3 weeks ago, at 24 weeks. Although Oliver is a big baby he was showing none of the classic signs of wanting to be weaned. However, I thought I would start gently with a tiny bit of baby rice so that there is no pressure. 3 weeks on and the whole process is still very weary and messy. He is just not really taking to it. He refuses to open his mouth, or we get some in his mouth (by making him laugh, or when he yawns - which feels very mean) and he coughs, gags or leaves it on his tongue for ages with his mouth open. It doesn't seems to be the taste that bothers him - he's now had carrot, apple, sweet potato - just the feel of it in his mouth and not knowing what to do with it. If he takes the spoon himself he opens his mouth but you can imagine what a mess we get into and how little ends up in his mouth. Sometimes I think we are making headway, then he regresses again. Not worrying yet but imagined the whole thing to be a bit easier. To his credit he is good at drinking water from a learning beaker.

MM - Hi! Nice to catch up with you. You are amazing...and a credit to Gina Ford!! Can't believe you are thinking about another baby. I am still coming to terms with the one :-)
18/07/2007 at 09:43
Not sure what to suggest Austrorunner, my two have always opened their wee mouths like little baby birds. Keep persevering I guess. Let him play with a spoon a bit so he gets used to it being near his mouth, try eating something yourself at the same time, babies love to copy, or fake by putting it into your mouth and pretend to swallow. He will get the hang of it.

Like I say only issue with my two is the puking. Gave them blueberries with banana from Plum Baby last night, big mistake! Vanish came out for the carpet, and vanish for their bedding! Thank goodness for vanish oxi-action!!

8 month check tomorrow (being done at 9 months!), so will ask HV again about it all, as does drive me mad! Both have colds at the mo which just makes it worse.
18/07/2007 at 11:08
Hi - lurking a bit on this thread until I qualify to join in properly (c. 3 weeks - although obviously won't be running quite that soon!)

Austrorunner - have you tried both having a spoon? I found I could always sneak in a bit more when my babies were feeding themselves. And soon he'll be big enough for some soft finger food, which can help. I wouldn't worry too much - babies take different times to get used to things and as long as you keep trying different tastes and textures he should be fine.

Sounds like you're all well and enjoying being back to running - I'm really looking forward to being able to go faster than 13 min. miles!
18/07/2007 at 11:59
Hello Graduated at last!

for those that dont know me from the pregnacy Thread I have 10 day old twin girls called Ella and Milla. we came home from hospital on sunday and they are proving to be really chilled and content babies at the moment (every time I say that I touch wood!)

I had a section and lost alot of blood so exercise is definately out for awhile, went for a short walk this morning for the first time though and it was lovely to stretch my legs and get some fresh air, the girls slept through thier first outing!

Body wise the damage is beginning to become apparant, I was very swollen due to pre eclampsia and it is gradually going leaving a jelly belly and wobbly thighs, but not as bad as i feared!
19/07/2007 at 09:53
Big snots today from my two, not great. I babysat for a friend last night so a bit weary but good for them to get out. Means we're owed too always a nice feeling!

Hetty I walked every day with my two sometimes twice a day, being the outside type I couldn't bare being shut in. You are doing brilliantly, keep up the good work. I started jogging at 4 weeks, but it did feel like everything would fall out!

Wobble belly goes with lots of those postnatal exercises, worse for us two of course! Also pilates great for getting everything firm again. But beware I still have a belly now although quite firm it does stick out, was a flat tummy before the boys, so looks like it maybe staying given we're 9 months on and am running quite a bit and doing pilates! I can't diet, would get too depressed, so will put up with it!
81 to 100 of 45,469 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.