Mums Running Club

How do you get going again after pregnancy?

1 to 20 of 47,624 messages
01/06/2007 at 17:28
There's a few of us on the Pregnant Runners Club forum realising that time is running out and that we are close to 'graduating'! We thought it would be great to carry on the thread for new mums to work out training plans and the like. Hope this is as succesful as the Pregnant Runners Club!
01/06/2007 at 19:27
See you in November/December/January!!
- fingers crossed!
What a great idea Janie.
Good luck everyone. You CAN do it.
Sequin
02/06/2007 at 22:41
Excellent Janie - we talked about it months ago and no-one did it. James is now 6 months. Looking forward to more on this thread.
03/06/2007 at 06:47
Janie - good idea! I'm adding it to my bookmarks...just as I head into the last few weeks, and cancel my gym membership for a bit!!

Looking forward to getting back into it soon x
03/06/2007 at 08:49
Janie, great idea as I find it really hard to keep up with the Pregnant Runners' Club thread - it moves on far too quickly for those of us whose time online is now restricted by little ones!

Kit is now 3 months old and an absolute joy. I am loving being a mum: found it hard at first and it took me a while to settle into a less structured way of life, but now I find it so rewarding. He's now at the age where he gives back - just one smile can melt my heart - and is becoming a real little man with his own personality.

I started running again at the beginning of May and naively assumed it would not take long to get back to where I was before becoming pregnant. I launched straight into running four times a week, three miles at a time (which I didn't think was very much) and promptly hurt my back. Saw an osteopath to make sure that pregnancy hadn't damaged my pelvic alignment or affected me biomechanically in any way and got the all-clear - but was told to take a complete week's rest and to be much more cautious when I started back. After pregnancy the hormone relaxin can remain in your system for up to 5 months and causes the joints and ligaments to remain soft and therefore prone to injury. I knew this before I started back running but of course thought that I was invincible ...

I started back again last week, very cautiously this time. I am using a Hal Higdon schedule which is meant to be a complete novice's build-up to a first marathon over 30 weeks. The first week has you running a total of 9 miles broken down into 1.5, 3, 1.5, 3. I have really had to swallow my pride and go back to grass roots. I'm prepared to do it because I see running as a long-term thing and something I want to be doing for many years to come, so better to build my strength back slowly now than go hell for leather and end up having to take every other week off.

I am trying to look on myself as a beginner in the short term so that I don't overdo things. When I look back, the furthest I've run in the past 11 months is 10 miles and that was on the day I discovered I was pregnant. As soon as I knew I scaled back and ran no further than 6 miles at a time - and less during the very hot weather we had last summer. So I haven't done any really serious running for nearly a year despite managing to keep some running going until 32 weeks pregnant.

I'm really enjoying being back out there. For the moment it's not about PBs and racing, it's about me-time and rediscovering the pleasure running brings me. It clears my head and makes me a happier and better mummy!
03/06/2007 at 17:07
It's good to hear from you all again, hope we can keep this one going and allow everyone with little ones to keep up!

It's good to hear that you're all getting back into running, I'm starting to think ahead a bit now, but will make sure I take it cautiously from what I've read here.

I can't believe that I'm coming to the end of my pregnancy, starting to look forward to the final outcome though, it's feeling less surreal now.

I'm thinking of trying for a marathon next year - the baby is due at the end of July - when do you more experienced runners think it would plausible to attempt it?
03/06/2007 at 17:25
Oh and Ploddingalong - just seen you're back to work tomorrow, good luck. Hope it's ok. I have a friend going back after having twins last summer so I've got an idea of what you're going through.
03/06/2007 at 20:55
Hi!! What a lovely surprise to pop onto this site and see that a Mum's thread has been started. Like Minks I occasionally found the time to pop into the pregnancy forum post birth but it was moving too fast.
Oliver is almost 5 months now. I don't feel tempted to say time has flown. These first 5 months as a Mummy have been wonderful but oh so exhausting. I never thought a baby would change my life soooo much.
I ran my first race today!!! It was a big womens fun run in Vienna. I set myself what I though was a realistic target considering I have only been out running since March and in the last 4 weeks I have only managaed to get out 5 times and still have a chesty cough clearing up. Anyway I beat my target so feel satisfied but more than that it was just great getting a bit of me back.
Good luck Janie. Not experienced to advise you on marathons. Never done one but you have to consider the high amount of training hours. You will really need the support to make sure you can get out. I guess it depends on this, your own determination and how "easy" your baby is.

Hope some other "oldies" will discover this thread.
03/06/2007 at 21:59
Hi Austro! Great to hear from you again, I did try to email everyone that I knew had posted but didn't have much luck! Really glad you found us.

Congrats on your first race that's brill, I think building up slowly will have to be the key for me too. Fingers crossed for an easy baby!
04/06/2007 at 10:36
Hi there
Glad to see this thread has been set up. Like the rest of you..I cant keep up in the pregnant runners thread anymore...

Am struggling to get out running at all these days :-(
OH now works away from home during the week..so I only get to go running at the w-e..which I suppose is better than nothing. The most I've run is 6 miles..and boy is it fantastic to be out there.

Conor is 9 1/2 months now already ! Getting used to the working Mum life now ...it has taken me a while.. It is a huge adjustment..but I've realised organisation is the key !

Janie best of luck with the Graduation !!
and Happy runnings all !!!
04/06/2007 at 11:02
Great to see the mums back...I know what you mean about trying to keep up on the Pregnant Runners' Club thread, so many new ladies!

Minks - I like your approach (and so lovely to hear about how much Kit is changing your life in the best possible way). I'm starting to think ahead to the time when I will be able to get out running again and will definitely be taking a beginner's approach. In these last couple of weeks I've started to be aware of the relaxin kicking in and feel aching in my pubic bone and a general unsteadiness. I think our pregnancies will certainly make us listen to our bodies in a whole new way.

Janie - My goal is a marathon too, and I'm going to try, once again, to get into London, so that would be about ten months after the birth; that seems reasonable to me.

We'll see!!
04/06/2007 at 12:39
AP - I was thinking of trying for FLm too. For me it would have to be a ballot place which could be fun, just have to make sure I get all the relevant bits in August and don't miss the deadline!

If I don't succeed with FLM can anyone recommend another good one to do?
04/06/2007 at 14:46
Janie - I'm a ballot girl too, but I have tried and failed a few times, so must be near my guaranteed place by now! An alternative is Edinburgh, which I did last year, and many people recommend Abingdon, but I think that's much later in the year. Loch Ness is supposed to have a great atmosphere too.

04/06/2007 at 19:56
Hello ladies! I'm just about to pop into the preganant runners' thread but spotted this new one - well done for starting it Janie, it's a great idea. Will definitely be joining in post-birth. As I think I mentioned on the other thread I'm going to aim for FLM next year, so it would be fab if there's a few of us all training for the same thing!
And thank you to all the mums who've already posted - it's really interesting to hear how people are getting on.

sb x
04/06/2007 at 21:14
Survived first day back at work today. 33 more to go until the summer holiday.
Didn't cry at work! however children are back tomorrow so it could reduce me to tears!

Mrs T good to hear from you
04/06/2007 at 21:25
Well done PA - it is hard, isn't it. I found out today that I've got a permanent position doing the job I've been doing as maternity cover for the last 11 months - so in about a year's time I'll be in the same boat!
05/06/2007 at 09:39
Glad you survived PA, it must be tough. At least you were broken in slightly more gently with INSET.

Congrats SB - that must be really good to hear. At least it's security for you when you go back.

I seem to remember someone telling me that you need to wash Kushies nappies loads before you use them (I think it was PA) just wondered how many times while the weather is so good!
05/06/2007 at 09:43
I had a few Kushies for DD when she was small and I think they needed washing 4 or 5 times before they reached full absorbency - but that was ages ago and they may have changed. As far as know its OK to chuck them in with other stuff at the moment - it's only after they've been used that you need to do a separate nappy wash.
Thanks for mentioning nappies, Janie - I must dig out the ones I've got left from DS and wash them (not that they're dirty - you know what I mean!)
05/06/2007 at 09:51
Thanks SB - I'll get them in the washer again!!! Know what you mean about freshening things up - did have a funny image of you storing dirty nappies though - Euck!
05/06/2007 at 16:44
Minks - nice to hear from you and that Kit is doing well. Will be popping on over the next 15 or so weeks before I graduate to here, see what useful tips on returning to running after birth you've all got for us noveau mums!

I will be taking the complete beginner route I think, I haven't run since around 8 weeks and had to stop pretty much everything else with SPD at 17 weeks, so have turned quite unfit whilst pregnant, but guess there is no point in damaging either the baby or yourself so have been quite sanguine about this. The treadmill will have to be my friend as it will be the cold, dark winter months and pounding the streets of Edinburgh at night alone just ain't safe anymore (even getting that way in daylight sadly!).
1 to 20 of 47,624 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.