Need cross training session to maintain endurance

I cannot run for around four weeks and looking for a gym based session to maintain endurance

2 messages
17/09/2012 at 14:44

I have an ankle injury and have been advised, after a few attempts at running on it, to give it four weeks rest. I am 1.5 weeks in and have been swimming around 3 times a week (2km each session), aqua running 2 or 3 times (intervals between 45-70 mins each session) and the gym (usually 20 mins x-trainer, 15-20 mins rower (mix of long and short intervals) plus weights and core week) a couple of times a week. However, I am worried I will lose endurance as none of these sessions are as long as my usual long run (18-25km). Any ideas for a cross training session that can replicate the long run? I did one aqua running session for two hours but now the outside pools are shut it is a bit busy for this.

17/09/2012 at 21:28

An hours spinning on low resistence and intervals worked well for me. My workout would be 10 mins warm up , 40 mins on 1 minute spin as fast as I could and 1 minute semi fast and then 10 mins cool down. Shaved a minute a mile off my times when I returned to running too.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
2 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.