No pain no gain?

Why is it taking all week to recover from my long run?

21 to 21 of 21 messages
21/03/2013 at 16:35
Marie I'm doing Edinburgh as well, should be good I hope you enjoy it.
Just to echo some of the other views, you're running way to fast on the long runs, it really is like you're doing a race every week, and that's going to hurt !
Using me as an example I'm a sub 1.30 HM runner but I do lack the endurance to double the distance in a good time, I do my long runs at around 9 - 9.20 min miles concentrating on the time I'm on the road building a mental and physical tolerance to it.
I think considering your situation and stage in your running career you should just concentrate on long slow miles to help your body adapt to the stresses on it. Once you have Edinburgh under your belt then pick your next race and focus on a training plan that includes all the elements such as easy, steady, speed etc etc.
Best of luck and welcome to running.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 21 of 21 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.