Numb foot

Numb foot

10 messages
16/01/2009 at 11:59

Hi all

I have recently started running and exercising again. I am a fitness instructor, but for the past year I've not done any exercise. I usually do spin, aerobics and other high impact stuff.

I decided to take up runnning a couple of weeks ago.

I can run problemfree untill about 25 - 30 into the run. Here the "funny" thing happens - my left foot goes numb. It's prickly and sorta stingy... like if you've been sitting lying on your arm sleeping during the night, you can wake up and it's sorta numb. The same happens to me but with my foot.

I've tried different shoes, loosening the shoes, tieing them tighter but nothing seems to help.

I can run with my foot numb it just takes all the joy away.

Is it a case of having to run it off? it sorta wears off after 10 mins of running, more or less, but it's just really annoying.

Any advise would be much appriciated.

thx

18/01/2009 at 11:59

Hi,

Have you changed your trainers recently?   I used to have this problem and after changing the way i lace up my trainers i don't have this problem anymore - do a search on the web for how to lace up your trainers...you could still be restricting the problem area of your foot which is causing the numbness.

Also are your trainers too small?  My trainers are a half size bigger to facilitate my foot as it warms up.

Hope this helps?

18/01/2009 at 12:56

Hi Christina

I was just gonna post the same question. My right foot goes numb,

its strange, i did 8 miles on wednesday with no problems, today i did 5 mile & it went numb after about 2.

Ive only been running a few month, after being lazy since running the 2000 flm. Perhaps with training, this problem will sort itself. I use elastic laces so overtight laces shouldnt be a problem.

Sorry this doesnt help you but your not alone with this one

18/01/2009 at 15:35
I get the same problem in my left foot, been running for about a year, and use elastic laces, but can't work out what causes it.  I think it may be more to do with traped or irritated nerves up near the hip/groin, I occasionally get a little pain around there but ot at the same time.
19/01/2009 at 10:55

Hi all

Thanks for the replies. Greatly appriciated. I will try to change my laces see if that helps.

Thanks

01/03/2009 at 19:01

Christina,

I got this exactly today in a half marathon.... I may check my trainers...

have you discovered any more?

02/03/2009 at 06:40

Hi again all

I did as suggested and changed my laces. Didn't help at all, then I went on to buy a new pair of Mizunos and I added some elasticated laces to those. Now everything is perfect, my feet are not numb anymore and I can run for miles without getting any pain or numbness.

For you guys out there who have the same problem I would suggest elasticated laces, you can get them almost in any sportsshop for £5 and they do make a big big difference.

Thanks again for your advice guys

30/06/2009 at 21:36
Thanks for the advice - off to the shop I go
07/05/2010 at 03:30
I get the exact same problem,
My foot gets pins and needles, and then after running a while longer it goes commpletely numb, and makes my leg seem very very heavy. Does anyone know why this happens/ what causes it?
Unfortunately I've tried changing my running shoes several times, AND elasticated laces, and nothing seems to work.
Does anyone have any further suggestions?
07/05/2010 at 17:14
i always used elastic laces but recently been running without socks and seems to have worked, not sure why.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
10 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.