Numbness in Foot during running

Numbness in Foot

21 to 40 of 132 messages
28/01/2003 at 14:40
hey Bullfinch, waytogo! it's pouring here and I'm snowed under with work-rather be running!! Any advice anyone on running on a blister-it hurts!
28/01/2003 at 14:46
j L My advice - don't.

Cycle, don't run.

My car had been in for repair so I ran to the garage to collect it. It isn't raining here, but I ran into the teeth of a gale all the way. It felt more like 8 miles than 5.

By the way, I work from home and started at 5 a.m. today. Bloody Self Assessment~!!

Bullfinch
28/01/2003 at 17:09
Got rid of the pain in ball of foot by placing Scholl pressure point pads just behind ball of foot, and managed to get to about 4 miles before both feet went numb, but it was great not to have the pain which normally comes on at about 3 miles so I do feel I am getting somewhere. Will report back if I find magic trick for the numbness!
28/01/2003 at 17:16
ive got the same problem.my left foot goes numb after running for 35/40 mins.Im pretty desperate because im training for the london marathon.Went to see a physio who diagnosed the problem as scar tissue affecting the nerves.At the moment im having ultrasound treatment on my calf and have been told to do plenty of stretching.hope this might be of help too someone,although it hasnt helped me yet after two sessions with physio.at the momemt im running though the numbness which lasts about 15 mins and then completely disappears,which apart from being very uncomfortable is probably not a good idea
03/02/2003 at 17:28
It has been a problem I have had on and off for quite a few years now. I have tried the shoe lace thing and it does work most of the time. However, the way I have got rid of the problem most of the time has been by using half insoles, to raise my heel just a bit. See, I was told years ago, that the pain may be coming from a short Achilles tendon. Now I do not know whether this is true, but it definetely worked for me. Careful, though, cos using the insole will also make your foot to be more tight in your shoe. Try it. It worked for me. And the half insoles are not expensive.
01/07/2003 at 13:53
numbness in both feet is a problem I have had for quite a while now and still havent found the solution. It occurs about 30mins into a run and slowly works through the foot until it feels like im just running on stumps. ive tried most of the suggestions on this forum but unfortunately to no avail. saw the doc about it but couldnt help much except to say that it wasnt a nerve problem and might get easier as i get fitter but i dont really have much confidence in this.
It really is annoying as it stops me running to my potential and dont think i could do more than 10k due to it. I think the stretching of calf muscles it the best solution but feel this is not an instant fixer and will take time. If anyone knows of a real solution to this pls let us poor stumpy feet sufferes know. my poor feet will be very gratefull.
05/07/2003 at 09:00
I have experienced the same problem in the past.. I actaully consulted the doctor , a podiatrist and a physiotherapist....

Two similies came out of this...that the cirulation was caused by the effects of my smoking for a great deal of my life while I was younger.. I was on 60 a day up til 1986.when I stopped completely and started running... two of the consultants said that it will get worse with age...theres nothing that can be done about it and to try different methods to alleviate some of the problem..

The two that I found worked best for me were changing the lacing in my shoes..(there was an article about this in either RW or RF sometime ago).. and wearing thinner socks. I tried different width shoes..but this didnt seem to have any effect on the problem
09/07/2003 at 14:41
I had this too years ago when I first took up running - it got so bad my knees became painful as I ran with little feeling in my feet. I tried the bigger shoes, arch supports, etc but eventually gave up.

I went back to running just before Christmas - I still get it occasionally - it's worse if my calves are tight from a previous run - at the first sign, wiggling my toes does sometimes help.

ANYWAY, I saw an article recently in RW about exertional compartment syndrome - muscles fill with blood tightening the muscle covering which puts pressure on nerves within the muscle compartments - this all makes sense but I can't believe doctors/physios haven't sussed this out when confronted with such symptons??

Any other suggestions/thoughts?
09/07/2003 at 17:00
Seems as though a lot of people suffer this! I too got a numb right foot after running about 4 miles while I was training for the London Marathon. I carried on running and it disappeared after about 15mins. I too tried lacing (New Balance 854)differently to no avail. Could it be a winter phenomenon? Because I haven't noticed it since. Funnily enough I didn't notice it during the Marathon - perhaps I had too many other things to worry about! I think it might be due to blood flow as my foot felt much warmer after the numbness went. Glad to hear it's a common problem, as I was worried that at my advanced age,it was a blood clot.
13/07/2003 at 16:01
Like you Shelia,I only seem to get this "injury" during the winter months and I too find it goes after a few minutes of slowing down,though as I am slowing from 9 minutes a mile to 10 it's not surprising it feels easier as I'm almost walking !.
My main concern at the moment is a slight burning sensation on my left heel.It recently seems to have kicked in after about 6 miles and lasts for the next 2.I
thought it was my trainers (Saucony Jazz 6000) but I've also notes it to a lesser degree with my walking boots when the pain starts at about 15 miles and goes after another couple .
Any ideas or solutions are most welcome !
Keep smiling ! Keep running !
15/07/2003 at 10:35
I'm not saying this is what the problem is, but foot numbness is one of the symptoms of compartment syndrome.

A doctor diagnosed me as having compartment syndrome years ago, (and gave me the helpful "don't run" solution) it turned out to be shin splints, but I only figured that out after a couple of years of no running, and lots of reading.

Anyway, when I thought that is what I had, I did lots of reading on compartment syndrome, and numb feet is definately a classic symptom - because of the constrictions.

Would also make sense if it was linked to shin or calf pain.

There is loads about it on the internet, but this looked like a nice description.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/library/injury/bl_leg3.htm
15/07/2003 at 11:49
That sounds a diagnosis of my problem, tallbird, as I did have a sore shin too. I shall look up the website you helpfully provided. Thanks a lot!
31/07/2003 at 09:45
I've recently started running and I'm now training for my 10k race (i've already done a couple of 5k).

I was out training the other day in my new asics Gel 1080's when I started to suffer from awful tightness in my calves which then turned into numbness in my left foot - this felt like I had a stump. I kept wiggling my toes, stretching, running slower but the pain didn't subside until I'd got home, stretched, cooled down although admittedly it didn't take too long.

I'm now worried that this is going to be an ongoing problem. I will try the sponge/insoles at the back of my trainers and loosening my laces.

It's great to have a forum for to share problems like these. Any other advice will be greatly received!
Raf
05/08/2003 at 16:47
I've read through this forum, and I've read plenty of people complaining about numbness in feet - my problem is numbness in my right knee which tends to kick-in after 50 or so minutes, especially when I haven't been running for a few weeks due to injury/holidays. It is very frustrating. I have found that if I do shorter, sharper training sessions (especially in gym on treadmill), I get fitter and possibly lose a few pounds......after a few weeks of this, the numbness tends to disappear and my confidence returns for the longer runs. Maybe it is added weight and too much impact/pressure on the knee? Not sure, opinions/advice welcomed!
07/08/2003 at 14:52
I would agree that smoking can cause this. When I started running I smoked and after 30 mins my feet would gradually go numb till I couldn't feel them. Stopping smoking seemed to fix this - no amount of training did. It is definately a circulatory problem that causes this kind of numbness - if you don't smoke it could be shoes/laces that are too tight for the feet.

I've also got tight calf muscles and since stretching regularly and doing some yoga I don't ever get the numbness problems.

May also help to stop doing long runs and start running every day, but only doing 1.5 to 3 miles. Do that for a week or two then go back to normal. This helped aleiviate all of the aches and pains I used to get after long runs and my legs were stronger as a result.

Also have a short period of doing walk/run training.. start of on run as normal but start walking before the numbness would normally kick-in. This will help the lower legs get some circulation again. You only need to walk for 1 or 2 mins. It won't kill your training like you might fear either. It's alright to stop and walk occationally, helps prevent injury.
08/08/2003 at 12:30
I used to have this problem. Now, after a long injury lay-off I am well into training for Chicago in October and do not get this problem any more.

This is what I think has helped me:

1 - going to a CLINICAL relexologist (not one of the beauty parlour types). You'll be amazed by the connections the foot has with the rest of the body - so if your feet feel numb, that's not all.

2 - a decent stretching routine. The calf-stretch a previously mentioned in this thread is good - but make sure you feel the stretch spreading into the foot. After trialling several different methods I find holding a stretch for a short period (5-10 secs) and doing more of them (5-10) works better for me. Try different foot positions

3 - become aware of the motion of the foot in running. After my lay-off I seem to have a developed a different style of running to my old flat-footed heel strike - similar to that described on other threads as the Pose method where you run more on the balls of your feet. Very hard on the calfs at first - but so much easier and effective. The only problem with this is that I have a problem controlling my speed for slow runs because I feel I want to go faster. Someone (I think in the old edition of the Bob Anderson stretching book) described the running action as when the forefoot comes down think of stretching out the toes to grab a handful of ground as you hit it - and then "throw the ground" behind you as you move through the stride. I find that this imagery helps.

10/08/2003 at 10:48
*In general terms guys, if your feet go numb. Which mine have also due to compression by the calf muscles, then it is a lack of blood and so oxygen, even a slight lack can do it thus aiding metabolite build up and local muscle cramping/fatigue. or neurological, again due to pressure or repetitive trauma. I had suffered the neurological cause also due to running on a fixed camber for to long. the foot then tingles or just feels 'funny' and when you start walking or raise the foot for a minute and try to stand again it gives way in vague terms.
On the vascular front though personel circumstance should be considered, intermitant claudication(blocked or narrowed arteries)and lots of other stuff should be considered if the reccomended streching, running surface, trainers and muscle relaxation doesent occur. A pod can check both biomechanical stuff and vascular to a reasonable level and suggest further ideas? The worst part for me was trying to walk back with a foot that dident work! people thought i was a loony.
19/10/2003 at 15:15
I have just read all the threads on the stump and numb syndrome, and feel quite relieved!
I have just finished a 10k which was spent mostly in numbness!
The run was mostly cross country
and I thought this was the reason, but thanks to you lot, am going to try each and every method to help stop these irritating problem!
Many thanks
11/01/2004 at 17:44
At last I've found a thread that deals with my problem. Thought I was the only person in the world to experience this. Thanks guys, I'll try the stretching as this is a weak point of my running.
14/01/2004 at 13:40
I had the same problem - right foot would get pins and needles and then go numb after about 45 minutes running and then about half an hour later it would go away. I saw a podiatrist who diagnosed tarsal tunnel syndrome (compression of the nerve in the ankle area basically) and she made me raised insoles which seemed to help. I changed my trainers in November and was advised to buy a corrective shoe - Saucony Grid hurricane - as I was slightly over-pronating. Disaster! The pins and needles came back with a vengeance, my whole leg felt numb even when I wasn't running and I had to have 2 weeks off. I've gone back to the old shoes now with the insoles and so far so good. Hope it lasts as I was told that the only other solution is an operation. Much as I want to complete the Paris marathon this year I'm not convinced it's worth that!
21 to 40 of 132 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.