Numpty knee question

I have a swelling...

4 messages
17/08/2009 at 10:20

Hello

I'm currently training for Beachy, and have been having a few problems with my knees - mainly the left one. I did a 17 mile LSR on Saturday and both my knees started feeling a little twingey about halfway round. I continued and they were a bit achey on and off for the remainder of the run - but nothing out of the ordinary.

By the time I got home, they felt really tight, stiff and sore - and almost like my kneecap wanted to move downwards and say hello to my shin. I did the usual ice bath thing, but my left knee still felt hot, and I had some fluid on it, on the inner side slightly below my kneecap. i RICEd it, it hurt like hell for the rest of the day but was absolutely fine the following day. This has happened once before on an LSR, so I changed from my Roclites back to Nimbus to give myself a bit more cushioning.

This is the first marathon I've trained for, I run on reasonably hilly/undulating ground - is this normal? Should I be worried? And considering it's perfectly fine the next day, am I doing myself any damage?

18/08/2009 at 13:52

Boing

Not that I have anything intelligent to offer, but thought I'd give this a shove in case somebody else can help.  Do you do any other exercise apart from running?  I got runners' knee a while ago, basically because my quads were too strong whilst the little muscles at the side (can't remember what they were called) were too weak , so were pulling the kneecap out of alignment.  Might be that?

If so the solution was to lift the leg up and down with a weight on it.  I used my handbag!

18/08/2009 at 14:17

Oh ITBS? Yes, I had the beginnings of that a few months back, but it's been fine since I've been doing the leg raises you mentioned and ITB stretches.

Thanks Hash I do weights and some cross training in the gym, and a lot of walking, but not much else. I might try stepping up with the leg raises. My legs are getting noticeably more muscular at the front and back, so maybe I should step up the leg raises a bit...and maybe getting new shoes will also help

18/08/2009 at 19:28
i got the same symptoms when i swapped my old trainers(brooks gts9) for asics gel kayano 15. turned out  i should have broke the new shoes in more gently.only said this cos you mentioned swapping shoes? 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.