One for the docs...

Strange visual effects while running.

6 messages
ip(FeS2)    pirate
13/01/2006 at 15:21
Very occasionally(maybe once every couple of months), my eyesight goes a bit funny during a run.- It's kind of like looking through pieces of bathroom glass or looking at the "invisible predator" effect.
Yesterday I had one major patch of it which gradually grew to the point when I couldn't see any edges and my vision returned to normal.

I assume it's something like a migraine pattern there's no pain with it, but it is a bit disorientating. I'm treating it as nothing to worry about, but Alex wanted me to check.- Any thoughts?
13/01/2006 at 21:28
It does sound a bit like a migraine optical effect. They are not always followed by the headache, I am pleased to say.
Duck Girl    pirate
13/01/2006 at 21:53
am doing my dissertation on visual effects of distance running - weird things happening are fairly common due to oxygen deprivation (or so my supervisor reckons!). Yours does sound unusually extreme though.
13/01/2006 at 22:05
Yes it is a migraine optical effect but painless.

I get them but not whilst running. It would be a problem if you were running on a tradmill as you may become disoriented and fall off causing injury.
ip(FeS2)    pirate
19/01/2006 at 08:59
Thanks everyone.- I will go tell Alex to stop worrying about me :-)
19/01/2006 at 12:24
The description sounds very similar to a pre-migraine "aura". I get these occasionally (2 or 3 times / year).

Sometimes a migraine will follow, sometimes it won't. Generally it doesn't, because I've learned to recognise the symptoms and go and find somewhere quiet to lie down for an hour.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.