Orthotic Insoles

What type to buy???

21 to 30 of 30 messages
16/11/2012 at 01:48

avit.  You are very selective with your evidence and arguments. And inventing things I haven't said, then shooting them down and telling everyone I'm talking crap.????

I never said we sprinted to outrun a faster animal    They key advantage that humans have is our big brains.  We used this to ambush faster animals...  like sit in a tree and wait for a gazelle to pass underneath, then chuck a sharp stick at it. Simple.  This sort of technique, along with gathering stuff, and  a bit of scavenging... that was the key to our success.   The long distance running hunting techniques were undoubtedly used too, but almost certainly rarely.  It's plain to see, that long distance running on tarmac hard surfaces, is not a natural activity. It's an invented sport...  and some people's bodies need some protection from the rigours.

I know the argument that minimalist or barefoot running strengthens the foot - it's well known. That can be very good for you. But the human form is complex, and it's not best for everyone.

Oh, I give up. 

Edited: 16/11/2012 at 01:51
16/11/2012 at 06:40

Once you guys have posted a couple of thousand times or so you'll stop caring much about anything written in response to your offerings.

16/11/2012 at 09:55

Getting back on topic, chaps ...

PeterTul wrote (see)

I was treated by a physio today, (sore hip, and back) she suggested I have flat feet and need Orthotic insoles, and directed me to some on thier company website.

But the ones suggested cost over £40, do I need to be paying this much for a decent pair, also any suggestions on which are best to use.

£40 isn't much for a pair of insoles. Probably about the same as one physio appointment. At this price it sounds like they're off-the-shelf because bespoke would cost ten times that much.

I use Orthaheel sport orthotics, which have arch support and are available from Boots at about £25 a pair and often on 3-for-2. For my mileage they do the job.

I'd give the ones you've been recommended or the Orthaheels a try. If they don't work you can resume your investigations having not lost a huge amount of money. Good luck!

16/11/2012 at 17:22
Run Wales wrote (see)

avit.  You are very selective with your evidence and arguments. And inventing things I haven't said, then shooting them down and telling everyone I'm talking crap.????

I never said we sprinted to outrun a faster animal    They key advantage that humans have is our big brains.  We used this to ambush faster animals...  like sit in a tree and wait for a gazelle to pass underneath, then chuck a sharp stick at it. Simple.  This sort of technique, along with gathering stuff, and  a bit of scavenging... that was the key to our success.   The long distance running hunting techniques were undoubtedly used too, but almost certainly rarely.  It's plain to see, that long distance running on tarmac hard surfaces, is not a natural activity. It's an invented sport...  and some people's bodies need some protection from the rigours.

I know the argument that minimalist or barefoot running strengthens the foot - it's well known. That can be very good for you. But the human form is complex, and it's not best for everyone.

Oh, I give up. 

neither did I....

as for waiting in a tree.... lol ok mate, how do you create a big brain? by eating tons of protein u aint going to get that from a load of berries.... perhaps that is your staple diet. From the way you write and the fact that nothing anyone says to you seems to sink in I would suggest all you eat is berries.

there was  a species known for climbing trees and ambushing... they were called the neanderthals who had smaller brains, but were alot stronger but couldnt run as they didnt posses our characteristics. Supposedly they died out after the earth warmed up and their large prey such as mammoth started to died out starving them, however some ppl believe they are a few neanderthals left amoungst us in soceity....

Edited: 16/11/2012 at 17:28
16/11/2012 at 17:28

It's Friday afternoon, so I'll just lob in the fact that Charlie Spedding (English marathon record holder) wore orthotics.

16/11/2012 at 17:34
Joolska wrote (see)

It's Friday afternoon, so I'll just lob in the fact that Charlie Spedding (English marathon record holder) wore orthotics.

yeah and i'll just throw in that every single kenyan and ethiopian runner learnt to run in barefeet and still does.

seren nos yn canu    pirate
16/11/2012 at 17:44

I would think that spending £40 for an off the shelf insole would be a waste of time for most people,........

If youre feet are that bad that they are causing you problems that cannot be fixed by ecerciese etc,............then i would think you would be better off getting custom made insoles that are designed to adjust your feet exactly where and how you need it..

otherwise its a bit like saying you have bad eyesite and just getting a pair of one pair fits all reading glasses...........for everyday use and to protect your eyes you need one to fit your personal prescription..............if you are very lucky yopu might be one of the few that would suit the general fits all size

16/11/2012 at 18:15
Paula wears them too
seren nos yn canu    pirate
16/11/2012 at 19:29

I bet neither paula or charlie spedding used off the shelf insoles

17/11/2012 at 13:57

OK, Avit, so I should have put a smilie after my post...

Jeez, some people need orthotics, others don't.  People got injured running long before built up road shoes were in vogue, so let's not pretend that running in minimalist shoes is a one-size fits all cure; let's also not pretend that everyone who is injured needs orthotics.  And breathe. 

I've had flat feet my entire life (even 6 years of ballet didn't give me arches to die for, so I don't think that minimalist running is suddenly going to change my biomechanics) and something like 5 different physios have all told me I am not built for running.  Orthotics have enabled me to run relatively high miles (70mpw) and to a reasonable standard pretty much injury free for 5 years.  I love them.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 30 of 30 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.