Osgood Schlatters Disease

Painful knee

10 messages
27/08/2002 at 13:35
Can anybody offer any suggestions on the relief of OSD. I had it as a 13-15 year old in both knees and recently my right knee has become sore again due to road running - I am now 28. I am hoping to train enough to run the FLM 2003 and don't want this condition to hinder my progress.
27/08/2002 at 13:47
My OSD totally disappeared by the time I was 17. Fortunately I have only the tiniest lump in my right knee to remind me which leg it was.

Are you sure it's OSD related ? I was under the impression that once the bones had fully formed at 18; the fragmented bone/cartilage which caused the condition should no longer be a problem.

If you're fairly new to running it could just be an over-training problem. I'm interested to hear what other former sufferers have experienced. Fingers crossed it's nothing serious.
27/08/2002 at 13:54
Cheers Scotty

I have made an appointment to see my doctor on Monday so I will ask him. It feels very tender to kneel on. I have been running for years but have recently stepped up the distance from the occasional 6 miler and frequent 3 miler to regular 6 and 8 mile runs.

Incidentally did you play alot of football as a child? Ithink that caused the problem when I was younger.
27/08/2002 at 14:05
Macca,

Just after posting my reply I checked out a couple of sights on OSD which did suggest that it can affect you into adulthood and in particular making kneeling down difficult. I've never thought about it until now; but I do actually avoid kneeling, probably for that reason (doh!).

I hated football at school because I was so crap at it. My Osgood's injury came from vaulting over a horse (the wooden variety) and banging my knee. Couldn't walk properly for several days after and had a sensative knee for the next 3 years.

Still...it's got to be one of the more interesting sounding injuries to have had. I remember comparing knee lumps with three fellow sufferers at a party once !!
27/08/2002 at 14:08
I had OSD as a young teenager too (less prevalent in girls, but still quite a few cases) and still have a noticeable lump on both knees. I have always found kneeling uncomfortable.

I do get an ache below the knees after a long run, or a long hillwalk, as if the muscle/ligament just below the kneecap was being pulled hard. However, it doesn't seem to get worse with additional training, and in fact is probably better now that I have increased my mileage.

It sounds as if your problem may not be related to OSD, but your GP should be able to tell you more.
27/08/2002 at 14:20
I think mine was caused by the footy because I played at every opportunity as a kid causing the tibia to grow un naturally large. There were no fragments as far as I know though. Like you both say - it could be unrelated - I'll see what the doc says - Cheers

ps - I went to school with two other male sufferers - both footy nutters aswell

Must bring it up at my next party -That could get rather gruesome as people start to whip out their war wounds!
27/08/2002 at 18:42
My osd meant that I spent 2 months of my teens in palster from toe to the top of my leg and left me with a sizeable lump on my knee.
I dont have problems kneeling but I have wondered if it plays a part in my now adult susceptability to injury.
19/09/2002 at 22:03
I too had OSD as a pre-teen caused by cthletics training four times a week plus meetings at the weekend. I was in hip to ankle plaster for two months like Calamity Jane, and then spent a further two months in physio. I had a big lump on the knee, which used to get worse if I overdid it playing sports. As an adult, the lump is minimal and I have no further problems with the knee. My problem is my back....but that's another story!
20/09/2002 at 08:06
Like Calamity Ive often wondered how related my running injuries are to having OSD when I was 11 and my unusual gait(see Lopsided thread!).Does the kind of treatment you were given play a part? I also had my leg in plaster for months.
Has anyone else wondered about the connection?
20/09/2002 at 09:38
partner had OSD as teenager as described by others. Still has severe pain when kneeling and major swelling when skiing. she won't (period!) risk running.

X-rays have shown bone fragments floating around in the joints. could be removed by elective surgery but doesn't trust surgeons on knees - too delicate. have you had any recent X-rays Macca?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
10 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.