Ouch! My flippin' foot

fractured base of 5th metatarsal - now what do I do?

4 messages
Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
22/01/2007 at 15:58
I fell while out training on Thursday and now I'm sitting with my foot on the printer shelf adorned in a fetching blue plaster!

I'm told that once the pain allows I can weightbear, in fact it's advisable for me to walk on it to promote circulation and healing.

I have a place in the Rome Marathon on the 18th March. I've not yet written it off, but I really need to be doing something to try to keep my CV fitness up. Any good advice?

I did think of getting a turbo trainer for when I can cycle - what to you think of this?

I've had 4 days off now and am feeling restless, but still in a bit of pain so I can't go doing toooooo much for a couple of days yet.
cougie    pirate
22/01/2007 at 16:07
Oh poor you.

Well you'll probably only be out of plaster at the end of Feb I think - so thats not long to get training in for Rome. How many miles were your long runs up to ?

You wont be able to turbo until you are out of plaster as your foot wont fit on the pedals.

I think you need to rest up and see what its like when the plaster is off. I would consider joining a gym for rehab or similar so you can use the skier, stepper, bikes, pool all without impact. You'll be able to do those before you can run - so the CV fitness will be back soon enough.
M...eldy    pirate
22/01/2007 at 16:09
hop??

:-)
Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
22/01/2007 at 16:15
Thanks Cougie!

My last long run was just under 18 miles. I do belong to a gym, but I would have liked to have something at home more for convenience than anything else. I am now the proud owner of a waterproof cover that'll allow me to swim for 20 minutes. So, it'll be the crosstrainer and swimming then.

Meldy I'm getting quite proficient on these crutches - so I may well 'hop' over to Bucks and show you the business end of my plastercast!!!! ;0)

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.