Outdoor alternatives to running?

14 messages
08/09/2006 at 00:02
A question for you all:
What non-running outdoor training activities do you enjoy?

I used to love running outdoors a few times a week--just for exercise, not competitively. I can't run now (arthritis in sacroiliac joint--long boring injury story) but I've become totally bored by the machines at the health club. I really miss exercising outside, and I miss the intensity of running.

What are your favorite serious workouts that *don't* involve running? I've tried stair running/hopping, lunges, jump-rope.

Best,
Petra K.
Duck Girl    pirate
08/09/2006 at 00:16
open water swimming
cycling
stretching / yoga (in good weather)
08/09/2006 at 07:44
what about doing some serious walking. cover some good distances 15 mile walks or find some hills/ mountains.

I do cycling and walking aswell as running
08/09/2006 at 07:45
orienteering - walking with a purpose.
08/09/2006 at 08:35
Cycling - I've just bought myself a new mountain bike (my first Raleigh)and it's like being a kid again!

08/09/2006 at 08:39
Alfreso sex, can't beat it.

Sorry had to be said!
08/09/2006 at 09:24
TT

What is that alfresco sex with a Rampant Rabbit?
08/09/2006 at 09:49
try rowing
cougie    pirate
08/09/2006 at 09:50
Does arguing burn up that many calories ? Yeah -suppose you're right rowrex.
08/09/2006 at 10:47
'Scrambling' up hills / woodland (like rambling but without the red socks and walking cane). Put on some grippy trainers and get uphill anyway you can. Hills test your endurance in a very short time and the leaning forward action & shorter strides may be ok with your hip.

Have you tried kettlebell training - a fab power-based fat burning workout that's suitable for rehab if you get a light bell, say 6kg.

Go to http://www.mindandmuscle.net/mindandmuscle/magpage.php?issueID=34&artID=999411

I use mine in the garden - the neighbours are used to my eccentric ways :)
08/09/2006 at 13:43
Nordic Walking (fitness walking with poles)

I have back problems and this is a great way to train if running gets to be too much.

Its very popular in Europe and Scandanavia where it doubles as a summer training method for cross country skiing.

Ingrid Kristenssen (her of London marathon fame) swears by it as a training method
10/09/2006 at 21:57
I'd definitely second giving Nordic Walking a try -its great for fitness and the poles do help with reducing impact

Fitness/power/speedwalking is good too - just walking faster - although you may find it uncomfortable depending on what movement aggravates your SIJ - although this doesnt involve the hipswing/waggle of racewalking

11/09/2006 at 13:12
Cross country skiing if you can find any snow. If you can't find snow then there are rollerskis.
13/09/2006 at 09:13
Yes X Country skiing is good as well. I spend 3 or 4 weekends each year in Scandanavia taking part in Loppet races. These are huge fun, and very social occasions - they also cut right across the ability range (which is just as well from my point of view)

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
14 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.