outside of upper calf very sore

ok to run still?

11 messages
27/11/2012 at 16:52

the top of my calf muscle on the side of my left leg is very sore. It is sore to the touch when i apply pressure and it is hard to walk without some pain. When I ran this morning it seemed fine though so I am guessing it is much better when it warms up. 

Does it sound like it is ok to carry on running? What can i do to fix this?

27/11/2012 at 17:21

has it built up over time, or just come on after a hard run

27/11/2012 at 18:09
I had some general soreness after my first half marathon race the weekend before last. This specific pain seems to have appeared after my tempo run a week ago.
28/11/2012 at 09:12

I would reckon its Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness then.
might be worth trying a mix of ice and foam roller massage. also if its the outside of your calf could be something to do with the IT Band, so massage that too.

28/11/2012 at 10:27
Thanks. I have noticed that it feels much better after a stretch. I will keep stretching, massaging and foam rollering the calf and the upper leg for the iTB.

I have never used ice because I am not organised enough to ever have any in the house. Do you just put it in a plastic bag and put it on the sore muscle until the ice melts?
28/11/2012 at 10:37

i usually use a bag of frozen peas (tesco value!), its cheap, moulds to you, and is re-freezable (just dont eat them!). They say you should wrap them in teatowel or something before putting on your skin, but i find its not cold enough, and i figure i'm not actually putting ice straight on me.

failing that, sit your legs in a cold bath for 10 mins before a hot one, works for me also!

28/11/2012 at 10:44

Ahh peas sounds about right - I will buy a bag and mark them with a skull and crossbones so no one eats them Thanks for the tip!

30/11/2012 at 11:52

Frozen peas are great. I had a bag of them I'd been using for ages. They were miles out of date and had probably been thawed and re-frozen about 50 times. I came home one day and my boyfriend had boiled them up and was eating them with a steak pie. I didn't tell him and he didn't notice anything.

30/11/2012 at 12:03

30/11/2012 at 15:52

Hahaha brilliant

30/11/2012 at 16:27

It's not likely to be DOMS more than 72 hours after the session you think caused it. 

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness)

You might have caused a micro-tear (by doing a tempo run too soon after your half)

Have a read of these:

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/legpainandinjuries/a/calf-strain.htm

http://www.davidhays.net/running/calf_tears.html

treatment's pretty much the same as above but I would avoid any stretching for a few days - 2 weeks.  I'm no doctor but I've done similar myself in the past and kept stretching which meant the soreness didn't go for a while - as soon as I stopped stretching on an osteo's advice, I healed within a short time!

Good luck - hope you mend soon

Edited: 30/11/2012 at 16:29

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
11 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.