Overworked achilles tendon

Advice and helpful comments please

1 message
10/04/2006 at 11:06
Hi all,

just need some advice on how to deal with an overworked achilles tendon (Doctor's description) without stopping entirely my current activities. My aim is to manage the problem over the next few weeks while the tendon adapts to its current workload.

My symptoms are that the tendon feels tight when I'm running and sometimes tightens further after a run, so that a hobble a bit for a couple of hours after a run. There is no pain when running or walking and, although I can find some localised swelling, 'prodding' the tendon causes discomfort rather than pain.

I am currently: running 2-3 1hr plod sessions each week plus a longer run, a lower body weights session 2-3 times a weeks, a stretching session 3-4 times a week, and spending up to several hours a day perched up a ladder wallpaper stripping. My last 'speedwork' (hahahaha) session was a tempo run about 2 weeks ago. Oh, and a contributing factor may be that I didn't run (at all) in the last couple of months of last year.

I did reduce last weekend's run to a 1hr session, which seems a reasonable first step in reducing the overall stress on the tendon, but what next?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
1 message
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.