Pain at the back of lower thigh above knee

4 messages
27/10/2013 at 22:00
I've picked up an injury that I haven't a clue what it could be. Just above the back of my knee at the bottom of my thigh. It doesn't hurt when walking or sitting but whenever I try to run it hurts and I have no power to run through it, it also hurts sometimes when I walk down stairs or stand from squatting. Any ideas what and how to treat it?
27/10/2013 at 22:06
Something to point out is that I am a relatively new runner (4 months in), running up to 9 miles in around 85 mins.

The injury is flaring up at the start of each run, sometimes I can run through it but today it caused me to bail halfway through for the first time
28/10/2013 at 08:51

Probably hamstring.  How long ago did this start? 

Usual treatment for any muscle / tendon strain - rest, ice, compression, elevation.  Some anti-inflammatory if necessary for pain. 

Don't run through it - try alternative exercise such cycling or swimming if that doesn't cause pain.  Get some advice on hamstring strengthening to rebuild before you start pushing the running. 

28/10/2013 at 23:07
The pain typically starts within the first half mile of a run but most times I have been able to run through it or have taken anti inflamatories prior to running. Daft I know and not something I'll be doing again. First noticed the pain about 2 weeks ago and has been present on each run since. I've suffered with tight hamstrings in the past, could this be a contributing factor?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.