Pain Behind Shoulder

7 messages
05/10/2002 at 16:19
I've just started running within the last three weeks and have found a pain behind the left shoulder which seems to come & go, usually in a change of effort or when I start a run. My instinct tells me that its a breathing related problem. But then again my instinct told me that England would beat Brazil! Anyone got any suggestions?
The Evil Pixie    pirate
05/10/2002 at 16:46
I occasionally get a sticth like pain in my right shoulder ... is this the same? I tend to work through it then it goes. I've been running for 12 weeks!
05/10/2002 at 22:08
Could be due to tension in the muscles.
Try to "run loose" - don't hunch your shoulders, keep your arms relaxed and don't clench your fists - the tension from this goes right up the arms.
The Evil Pixie    pirate
05/10/2002 at 22:58
how did you know I clench my fists? and I'm a typical "sit at PC and slouch all day person"?
Sounds like that could be my problem!
Cheers Cornish!
07/10/2002 at 19:12
Hey,
You may have hit on something there. I too sit at PC all day and spend first 15mins with clenched fists just waiting for a smart ar*ed remark from an eight year old........ but that doesn't explain why it happens later on in the run when i'm a bit more chilled out. Anyway thanks for the reply Cornish.I will try to relax.
The Evil Pixie    pirate
07/10/2002 at 20:25
cheers cornish ... went for a short 3k today with relaxed hands and felt goooooooood!
07/10/2002 at 22:53
Remember - it's not just the hands, but the arms and shoulders that you need to keep relaxed.
I used to suffer from terribly stiff shoulders / neck after races and put that down to tension when running hard.

Glad it seems to be working.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.