Pain beside one shin bone - what to do?

1 message
02/11/2011 at 20:46

This summer I came back to running after a third pregnancy.  I built back up probably too quickly and developed pain and a lump halfway down my shin.  It went away when I stopped running due to shoulder injury in July, and then came back when I started running again.

I don't do huge distances - six mile loops are my usual, or four miles if I'm pressed for time.  I do this three times a week, or sometimes not for a week if I am busy.  I don't think my shoes are to blame.

I've been to the GP as I was worried it was cancer but he said no it was probably torn muscle fibres and not to worry.  I went for a sport massage and was told to massage it out, but the more I've done that, the more it hurts.

I reckon it's because I built back up too quickly from a standing start after having a baby and having done nothing for a year, but how do I get it better?  Do I see a physio?  I really don't want to give up for months to make it better and then take it up slowly again - I need to run for my mental health as much as anything (three very small children mean I need to run to stay sane!).

I'd be very grateful if anyone could help.  Sorry it's so long and waffly.  

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
1 message
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.