Pain in calf

2 messages
18/07/2014 at 21:36

Any advice would be much appreciated on this!

Last weekend I did a 15km run and part way round my right leg felt sore, didn't think anything of it and managed to complete the run. Felt OK the next day so went for a slow run (2.5km) but found the pain returned. Since then I haven't ran, and looking online thought it could be shin splints so have been icing it several times a day.

The pain is only in my right leg, on the inside, approx half way up the leg. There's no pain generally whilst walking on it, although I did notice after being on it for several hours there was a slight niggle in the spot. It's only tender when I really push 1 particular point and this seems to be getting better as the week has gone on. There is a slight bit of swelling which I've only noticed now, you can only see it if you look very closely whilst comparing the same area to the other leg. I did about 10 mins on the turbotrainer this evening and had no pain.

I'm thinking it might be shin splints but any ideas would be great! I've been running 4 x a week, slowly increasing the distance - generally 1 x 2.5km run, 2 x 5-7km runs and 1 x longer distance which increases by 1/1.5km each week, I started at 8km. I'm currently training for the GNR, which I also ran last year and had no problems. I'm thinking that perhaps I upped the distance I was running over a week too quickly as whilst at uni I was only running 12-15km a week? And this has caused the injury, although I'm not sure what I've done exactly.

26/07/2014 at 09:48

Sounds like a minor calf strain/tear (that is where my injury is although I couldn't complete my run when it happened).

Ice the swelling and take a couple of weeks off running. My physio has advised me to doDo heel drops (eccentric training, on the edge of a step) and work on activating my glutes as they are apparently rather lazy which means other muscles, including my calves, take up the slack.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
2 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.