Pain in the arse!

5 messages
26/10/2013 at 12:33
Last year a suffered an injury, that caused pain in my left buttock. It feels like a sciatic pain, however it's not constant. Worse when I bend and stretch it. It took 8wks before I could run any distance again. I have just returned from a 5 me run and the symptoms have returned. Can anyone help with ideas of what the problem is, and how to avoid it. And yes I do warm up and warm down!! Thanks
26/10/2013 at 21:41

It sound like piriformis syndrome.

I've had it and found stretching helped. I know people who swear by foam rollers, but that is something I haven't tried.

27/10/2013 at 08:20

Could also be the upper attachments of the hamstring - is it worse during a run or after?  Tendons problems seem to hurt less when warmed up and return with a vengeance when cooled off.  Did it arrive suddenly or build up gradually?

27/10/2013 at 16:09
Thanks for the advise. It seems to twinge when running, however when I finish and about an hour post run it's at it's worse. Any perticular stretches to suggest? Thanks
28/10/2013 at 09:38

Andy I suffered with piriformis syndrome last year and I must say your pain sounds similar, but I would get checked out by a doctors or sports physio to be sure, I had to have an MRI to find my problem, some of the exercises for piriformis would not do you any good if you have hamstring injury.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.