Pain on outside of knee

Sorry, I know everyone asks about knees

21 to 35 of 35 messages
06/11/2008 at 08:35

Jane, its what you know I suppose, when I had my problems I went to several Osteo's and well to say they were a waste of money is an understatement but its same as anything some are good some not so, I fianally got sorted by a Mctiminy Chiropractor (SUPERB) for one of the sessions with the Osteo he simply put electrodes on my back and left me there for 15 mins trust me it doesnt do anything about having your right leg half inch longer than your left cos my pelvis had dropped, which is what had bought about the ITBS, look around and most important listen to other people.

PSC    pirate
06/11/2008 at 08:50

I hadn't kept up with this thread since posting at the beginning. Thx for the pay on the back PF! I got my roller on eBay. £11 including postage, its from an on line Physio store. Happy to post a link later if anyone is interested.

Don't over do the rolling. Little and often works for me. You can also use it on calfs, glutes, hams, quads. Although any one watching you roll your quads might think you are trying to hump the carpet! Lol.

PSC    pirate
06/11/2008 at 08:51

Ops. Pay=pat! As in on the back! Silly blackberry!!
06/11/2008 at 09:52

Good job I don't have any carpet then. Ho hum, Yes I saw some videos for other parts of the body. I tried it on my calves which have historically been rather tight though at the moment they seem to be reasonably ok. I'd like them to stay that way.

Once I get the tracking on my knee sorted I hope to be able to run again. I have plenty to keep me going through the winter months.

PSC    pirate
06/11/2008 at 10:02
here was the link to the one on ebay (as promised).... I am sure there are better quality ones around that may last longer, but for a tenner you can't go wrong!  Excellent service from the shop, I had it 48 hours after ordering it.
09/11/2008 at 16:30
I injured my hamstring 10 miles into a half marathon (what is it about 10 miles into a run i wonder) and could barely walk for 2 days afterwards. It cleared up quickly or so i thought, just the odd twinge when walking down the stairs. I've done a couple of short runs since, but went out this morning for a long run and failed miserably. This time it started after mile 2 and the pain was indescribable. It now aches even while sitting completely still and I'm gutted. I haven't seen a physio i guess i should have. I've heard about resistance bands and that they can really help. Does anyone have any advice re this? I'm dying to get back out there and sooooo miserable that my body is holding me back
09/11/2008 at 17:19

Eeeek - resistance bands. Be very careful, see a physio before using one. Get the correct exercises.

I use a resistance band, however after spraining my knee I discovered that one of the exercises that I was doing was actually agrevating it. Trouble is, you only find out afterward.

09/11/2008 at 19:12
Thanks for that looks like I'd best see a physio first. I've just been doing some basic stretching, not sure if its going to make any difference or not yet. Do you think its a good idea to keep running? Little runs? Mile or so? in between rest days and stretching? i get all itchy at the thought of no exercise at all!!!!
10/11/2008 at 10:30

Well, I tried to go for a run this weekend and now both my knees hurt. A lot. I think I need to admit defeat and go to a physio.

Classybird, I sympathise  This is the first time I've ever been for a run and ended up feeling worse afterwards than before! Had to happen some time I guess.

10/11/2008 at 20:01
Went to GP today. She has referred me to a physio but there is a WAITING LIST obviously. Do i do little runs still? While I'm waiting? Or will this aggrevate things? Tried Ibuprofen gel might aswell have eaten the damn stuff for all the good it did. Am not saying masking pain is good, because it isn't, its the bodys way of telling you something etc but does anybody have any advice on making life a bit easier? I can grit my teeth through the pain but I'm not prepared to do that. But equally i darent enter any races now at the thought of never doing a decent run again *sobs uncontrollably*
11/11/2008 at 11:19

Poor classybird. I don't know the answer...

I've got a physio appt on thursday. At the moment my knees don't feel too bad, cos I haven't run since Sat. I'm wondering whether I should go for a run tomorrow, just so I have some symptoms? Or is that stupid?

11/11/2008 at 18:57
Haha sounds like exactly something i would do. The more seasoned hardcore runners on here would probably say nooooooooooo but hey how can you tell him where it hurts if it doesnt????
12/11/2008 at 10:05
My point exactly! Well, the choice was between running and climbing today, and I've only brought my running kit, so I will have to run now
12/11/2008 at 10:10
Harri - you have chronic ITBS. If you run you will set yourself back weeks or even months.

If the physio isn't a total quack, you don't need any symptoms. Take some time out.
12/11/2008 at 10:16

Oh Swerve! It's like having an angel and a devil on my shoulders, listening to you & classybird...  But I have to admit you are sensible.

I've just had to move the physio to Monday anyway. So that's 2 reasons to stop being an idiot.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 35 of 35 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.