Pain on the outside of knee

3 messages
25/01/2013 at 08:35
Hello, I've been running for many years now with no problems but recently, about a month ago I started to feel pain on the outside of my right knee. It started towards the end of a 9 mile run, feeling like a dull pain/pinched nerve. As soon as I finished the pain was gone. I went running a couple of days later and the same thing happened so I rested for about ten days and then resumed running. At first everything was fine and I had no pain but towards the end of my run the pain stated to return. I again rested for a period before running again but when I did resume running the pain was present from the first step. I've not been running now for about 15 -days. There's no pain when I walk (including up and down stairs), kneel, lunge, squat or even jump but as soon as I start to run (even a slight trot) the pain returns immediately and I've now noticed that after I stop running the pain goes from the side of my knee to slightly behind it but this only last a short time. Does anyone have any idea what this could be and how I can treat it because I love running it's driving me mad not being able to. I can't even run to catch a bus at the moment. Please help.
25/01/2013 at 11:23

sounds like it could be an ITB problem, but your best bet is to get your GP to refer you to a physio, or if you don't want to wait, just pay for your own private physio session, although it's probbaly not a bad idea to have your GP look over it first anyway.

it's difficult for other runners, even ones with similar injury experiences, to accurately diagnose your injury from a description on a forum. go get proper expert help before it gets worse. good luck

25/01/2013 at 11:46

As AG says, it could well be the ITB.

I get similar knee pain from time to time, and if I use a foam roller to work on my ITB it does go away. 

This may be worth a try if you have a roller, or access to one at a gym.  This sort of thing.

BTW, it hurts!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.