Pain where toe meets foot

4 messages
04/03/2012 at 21:26
I have a pain where my toe meets my foot, no swelling and is actually manageable and the pain disappears within 5 minutes into a run, however it is still noticeable when I am walking around normally.

The problem is i have an event in just under 2 weeks and then a longer event in just under 4 weeks so I really can't afford to stop training.

Anyone got any advice?
05/03/2012 at 17:58
Which toe?

I just had a similar problem in little toe/fifth metatarsal. Turns out I had dislocated it and crunched it back into place while I was working. It did take over a week to get a proper diagnosis as to what I had done as I was still able to walk on it fine, even though it was painful and there was no obvious bruising or fracture.

I had a bit of swelling though, and the joint is now still poking out a bit at the side of my foot. The tendons had been bruised too which was causing the pain.

I ran a 10k race yesterday with padding under the metatarsal head and a bunion pad over the poking out joint and was fine, although I have a mild ache today. I had rested it for almost two weeks and have been taking ibuprofen and using ibu-gel.

I am training for a HM in 3 weeks, so understand your worry and frustration. When I was finally told what was wrong, I was advised keep taking anti-inflammatries until the day before the race and to ice it afterwards. I am going to keep placing padding under the metatarsal head while running for a while, and hope that the joint eventually doesn't poke out any more! If it persists after the HM I will be going back to the podiatrist as don't want to further damage it.

I don't know if you have had the same problem, but it sort of sounds similar. I would recommend going to a sports physio/podiatrist who look at biomechanics to get it looked at, as my experience was that the dr was not interested in doing anything as I was able to walk fine.
05/03/2012 at 18:00
Its my big toe
05/03/2012 at 20:32
sesamoiditis?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.