Painful ankles after running

3 messages
15/01/2013 at 17:41
I'm really new to running. I gave up smoking on the 1st and wanted to channel all those withdrawal symtoms into getting fit. I've been following the "Couch to 5k" program and after only a week, ive found my feet, especially just beneath the ankle bone and around the achilles tendon are really painful after a run, especially the following morning. Im so disappointed as i feel so determined to persevere, however, I dont want to do more damage. Can anybody advise me what I can do to relieve the pain, yet still continue with my running plan?
15/01/2013 at 17:59

I'd say go for the RICE - Rest, Ice, Compression & Elevation to relieve the discomfort now, then when you're feeling up to it I'd advise a trip to a good running shop who can get you on a treadmill & let you know which shoes would best suit you. It sounds like you need good stability shoes which will make a big difference.

Keep it up though & well done for ditching the weed!

15/01/2013 at 18:51
Thanks Andy. I think theres a running shop quite near me in beckenham so will ask them.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.