Painfull head after running?

Anyone got any ideas?

6 messages
01/10/2002 at 23:17
Hi all, my other half is trying to get into running however quite often she runs and afterwards gets a really painfull head, she describes it as at the front of her head and a painful aching that gets so bad that it keeps her awake, last night she ran at around 10pm and the pain was still there at around 6am!
I have made sure that she is having adequate fluid but not too much etc but I can't think of anything else that might help - any ideas?
02/10/2002 at 08:17
Sounds wierd. Could be her action. Is she running like Paula Radcliffe - no not as fast as her - but nodding her head a lot ??
This could be putting strain on the muscles at the back of the neck, which can sometimes lead to a headache.

It could also be some sort of other neck problem. Does this ever happen when she isn't running ??

Eyestrain may also be a possibility. Does your partner wear specs or contacts normally and remove them for running ??

I'd pay my GP a visit as well - just to be safe....

Hope this helps
02/10/2002 at 14:28
I find that when I swim, and I haven't eaten enough carbs, I get a really bad pounding headache. Strangely, this only happens when I swim. Might be worth eating a banana about an hour before the run?

I thought for ages it was dehydration, but ater experimenting, I know it's not.

Worth a try...
02/10/2002 at 22:03
Could it be due to overheating? If I get too hot I almost invariably get a headache a couple of hours later.
Yv.
06/10/2002 at 20:40
I suffer from the same kind of headaches and wondered if it was 'beginner runner' syndrome! Have tried drinking a lot more fluid before a run - doesn't make a difference. I've had bp checked - all ok, so i am thinking of sticking with it in the hope that the headaches will disappear.
06/10/2002 at 21:14
Neck tension sounds like a good call. If there's a problem with her neck biomechanics, it could be causing jarring at the front of the head, or neurological symptoms because of tense muscles and irritated nerves. There's no reason why it shouldn't be fixable. How about seeing an osteopath?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.