Patella Tendonitis

21 to 40 of 81 messages
JD.    pirate
27/06/2005 at 09:39
well done. keep up the good recovery!
JD.
27/06/2005 at 11:29
cheers i will be out in the sun for a four miler this afternoon the race is 5 miles all off road on sand soil with a few small hills carnt wait to put a no back on my chest .Good running catch you later david
08/07/2005 at 14:39
up to 6 miles with a little pain but stairs are no problem and no need for ice or pills roll on race day 5th aug
08/07/2005 at 14:49
I've had this since last November. I can jog slowly on a treadmill, but the pain returns as soon as I up the pace to a run. I'm currently weight training etc to strengthen quads, and have bought inserts to help correct a possible fallen arch, but progress is slow. I've also bought a push-knee strap, but it doesn't seem to have made a difference so far.
08/07/2005 at 16:01
I HAVE BEEN SUFFERING WITH IT SINCE ROUND NORFOLK RELAY 18MILE LEG AT TWO IN MORNING 2003 BAD CAMBER ON ROAD MOST OF WAY HAD TRY CYCLING AND A LITTLE RUNNING IT WORKS 4 ME BUT ITS ABOUT A THREE TO ONE TIME AND MILES WISE 5 MILE RUN AT LEAST 15 TO 20 MILES BIKE
20/09/2006 at 08:58
I have just been diagnosed with Patellar Tendinitis by my physio, I was running in a 10k at the weekend, nothing to out of the ordinary as far as course ,distance etc then as i was coming to the finish line i felt a pop in my left knee. The initial pain was very uncomfortable then within a minute or two the pain had gone, i sat down and took in some fluids then got up with no discomfort at all. As usual i began to trot to warm down " THEN WALLOP " as soon as i put all my weight onto my left leg it gave way, feeling as though a mini explosion had taken place below my kneecap. Again within a minute the pain had gone, Once home and ice pack applied i felt very little pain in the knee, walked up the stairs ( no problem )then coming down with my weight on one leg (left ) it went again.I had to wait until this morning (Wednesday) to see the physio, as soon as i gave her the details she diagnosed Patellar Tendinitis, after moving the leg around and standing on one leg (left) she gave me ultra sound and told me to take a mild anti-antinflamatry, i need to go back in 5 days, She says that with a gentle rubbing exercise and regular ultra-sound i should be up and running ( well trotting )in a couple of weeks. It has only been three days but if i had any hair i would be pulling it out, will keep you posted, anyone else in the same position at the moment??
27/12/2006 at 15:31
I was diagnosed with Patellar Tendinitis in Sept 06 a week or so after competing in my 1st half marathon in Bristol. I experienced no probs whatsoever during the run itself and loved every minute of it. The pain at times has been unbearable and I have had to rest at intervals. As running is such a part of my life I find it very difficult not to do it. I, like many of you, are trying other forms of excercise to maintain your fitness level. I had consulted a physio who has given me excercises to follow which I do as much as I can, I have also added weight bearing excercises to stengthen my quads. This does seem to be helping and I am managing up to 5 miles running and then the pain starts to kick in. Recovery however is much quicker. I am due to run the Bath Half in March and want to be able run it pain free if poss. I have tried taping this was done by the physio it didnt really make any difference. Are there different types of taping physio's use??
Is it now time to include strapping my knee? which is what I have avoided up to now. I'm really concerned as of many of you with this problem - will it now effect my running always?
15/04/2007 at 21:33
Hi, I've been diagnosed with Patellar Tendinitis and have been battling to keep fit over the last 6mths. The problem seems to slowly go away but then is suddenly back. I got fed up in the end and went back to my consultant who has subscribed I get dry injections into my tendon (a new concept). I need to go back for one more injection but the consultant is confident that I will be back to 100% running in a short period. Has anyone had dry injections before? If so, what was the conclusion?
30/05/2007 at 08:37
Does anyone ever get better from this?
30/05/2007 at 10:38
Not me - 15months and still niggling. I keep hoping that the wisdom of the forum will sort me out. Still waiting...
30/05/2007 at 13:13
bendy - how much running are you doing?
31/05/2007 at 11:54
I have some tendonitus of the pateela tendon, but have been told that it is caused by Degeneration of the cartilage (patella fimoralartritus).... that was 2 weeks ago, doing strengthing exs for the quads, but still very painful going up stairs and lock out my knee.

Physio again this afternoon.......
31/05/2007 at 14:56
Cabletow - I had patellar tendonitis last year. I was back running after 9 weeks and so far it hasn't recurred. Currently not running due to IT band syndrome in the other knee but that's another story...
25/06/2007 at 17:23
any succes stories of tendonitis? any at all? is it even curable?
26/06/2007 at 10:52
Livetorun - 7 months on and I haven't had any recurrence of my patellar tendonitis (touch wood) even when I upped my mileage to 40+ a week and did a half marathon. (Thankfully my ITBS seems to be on the mend now too)
26/06/2007 at 16:06
i run about 30-40 miles a week and have done for a number of years and suffer from the usual aches and twinges, but over the last couple of weeks my right knee has given me slight pain directly below the knee-cap at the start of every run and then dies away after a couple of minutes. Until today! It did the usual thing, then died away, then suddenly, WHAM! It felt like someone had inserted a knife under my knee. This died down and I started to run again and 30 seconds later it happened again. I turned around and walked back. I'm going to see my physio on Friday, but I hope I haven't got what you guys have got. Does this sound familiar?
Jonesy
26/06/2007 at 16:11
Yes, could well be tendonits :( It might just be the most annoying condition ever, it sometimes hurts and other times it dosn't. lol. It will go with time, but will take ages. But all this depends on the severity of the injury.
27/06/2007 at 00:12
So, what's the secret Ferdy? How did you fix your PT?
27/06/2007 at 08:57
Well I'm going to tempt fate and report that I'm a teeny bit better than a month ago. I have had it continuously since march 06, whether I take 2-3weeks off or not, and it doesn't seem to matter whether I'm running or not - coming down stairs at home is just as painful as a 15mile fell race.

BUT - I'm laid up from running at the moment (bad metatarsalgia) so I've swapped over to long bike sessions - 2-3 hrs, 40-60 miles - and as I live in the Peak district that means Hills - steep and lots of 'em. And my patellar tendon pain seems (touch wood) to be fading away. I assume the cycling is a form of eccentic exercising (and the long uphills certainly feel to be), with the added bonus of no impact, so I'm going to stick to it and see if things improve further - I'll report back
28/06/2007 at 11:11
Michael - I didn't run at all for 9 weeks (which was hell). During that time I did lots of eccentric quad strengthening exercises and saw a podiatrist to get custom orthotics made (I overpronate quite badly). Then, when the pain had completely gone, I just slowly built my mileage back up. I thought it was flaring up again once since then and wore a patstrap under my knee for a couple of weeks and it went away again.
21 to 40 of 81 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.