Peroneus Longus

What to do with a tight one?

21 to 25 of 25 messages
20/11/2015 at 21:12

Hi would lovecto know an solutions, my injury sounds very similar and the pic above shows exactly where the pain is. I can run for about 3.5 miles before 'bang' it explodes in pain and i cannot run through it. I'm so frustrated as all I want to do is run!

20/11/2015 at 22:09
Hi Louise as a runner you probably don't want to hear this that horrible word rest .I didn't and now not run for 7 mth. It does sound like peronial tendon problem .How long have you had problem .see a good physio before it turns into a chronic condition.i know how you feel I have Been so depressed running is my life .good luck
20/11/2015 at 22:49
Rest ....... Word from hell!

Honestly this is s problem that dates back almost 2 years. However this last episode with is enough to stop me running completely is since a marathon back in September.

How do you know when it is healed enough to run?
21/11/2015 at 03:34

As much as you'd prefer not to, the best solution I can provide is to take a break from running, especially since peroneal tendon injuries have a tendency to turn particularly nasty if they're not afforded sufficient R&R. 

Eric, I'm sorry to hear that you continue to remain troubled by your peroneals.  I hope that you eventually find a solution. 

While peroneal tendon injuries don't necessarily prevent you from cross-training, Louise, running is definitely best avoided during your recovery, in order to reduce the accumulation of scar tissue within the tendon. 

In addition to wholly understanding your sense of frustration, I also appreciate the reasons behind why you seek a quick solution to your current problem, Louise.  Sadly, peroneal tendon injuries can take months to repair, especially if you’ve attempted to continually run through the pain and discomfort. 

Exactly a year ago, after landing awkwardly upon the outer edge of my right foot, I was under-going treatment for an acute injury to the area of the peroneal tendon beneath the ankle. 

During my four month period of rehabilitation, I underwent a course of manipulation designed to break up the scar tissue that had accumulated.  However, it took around 2 months of regular manipulation (both painful and ticklish in equal measure) before I began to see any improvement. 

Since the tendon initially failed to respond to treatment, the suggestion of an air-cast (to completely immobilise my foot/tendon) and surgery (to cut away part of the injured tendon) were options considered by my physio.  As I’ve said, depending upon the degree of damage, peroneal tendon injuries can turn nasty. 

Thankfully, the options considered weren’t needed, as the tendon eventually responded to manipulation.  However, during my period of rehabilitation, the location of the injury prevented me from performing certain calf exercises in the gym.  For example, I could use the StairMaster without discomfort, but use of the calf-press machine left me feeling as though my tendon was ripping itself apart. 

As such, the size and definition of my calves did somewhat suffer in late 2014.  However, I considered the larger picture, in addition to appreciating that I had to be patient and allow the tendon time to heal.   

Thankfully, following a four month course of manipulation and a relatively subdued period of resistance work, twelve months on, I’d consider that my peroneal tendon has fully healed since I’m able to perform calf presses without discomfort, loading the tendon with even more weight than I was able to before the occurrence of the injury.   

Taking into consideration the position in which you find yourself, Louise, I’d recommend that you continue with the course of strengthening exercises that you’ve been instructed to perform, in addition to easing off on the running. 

It does take time for tendons to recover (a lot longer than we all have the patience for), but a few months of relative inactivity are better than enduring a life-time of chronic pain. 

Edited: 21/11/2015 at 03:35
21/11/2015 at 08:52
Sorry for late reply - my Physio has said my peroneal muscles are being worked too hard because of the muscle imbalances in the rest of my leg. He says i do not have a tendon issue (yet). I also saw a podiatrist the other day who works alongside my Physio. They have said over pronation, very flexible ankles, weak glutes and stiff hips have all contributed to the problem! Exercises I've been given are clam shells (google it and there are videos), calf raises, and single leg squats. goes without saying that these will not work for everyone and you need to see a professional to find out the cause of the pain. Good luck!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 25 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.