Peroneus Longus

What to do with a tight one?

12 messages
08/11/2012 at 22:42

Until today I didn’t even know I owned such a thing, let alone the discomfort it could cause if it was tight.  Over and above sports massage and liberal application of deep heat, does anyone know a suitable course of treatment / likely period of rest / general tips, to get rid of the bloody thing?

Thanks.

09/11/2012 at 07:51
Stretch it as if doing an Achilles stretch put turn your foot onto its side until you feel it stretch. 3x15secs three times a day. Often it will just disappear like that. If its only mild pain, I usually run through it.
09/11/2012 at 09:47

ditto what nellyb said although i have found it easier to sit down, put the offending ankle on the other knee, and pull the base of the foot gently towards you

09/11/2012 at 09:57

Interesting, thanks.  My pain is localised to the knee area.  I'd previously self-diagnosed the issue to be ITBS and worked for a week to fix that.  Sports masseuse tells me otherwise.

Very tight (and this morning as a result of massage, painful) below knee on outside of lower leg.

Are the same stretches still suitable?

09/11/2012 at 10:08

i would have thought so

09/11/2012 at 10:13

theres a very helpful website here that shows you what muscles do what action

http://www.getbodysmart.com/ap/muscularsystem/menu/menu.html

also just thought, i think peroneus longus pain tends to be towards the ankle (although i could be wrong).
it may be something to do with one of your calf muscles (Gastrocnemius), look at lateral leg pain on this site http://www.triggerpoints.net/leg-ankle-foot.htm

10/11/2012 at 23:28

Right,  I've cribbed below pic from US Runners World website where same issue was discussed back in 2010 and no resolution found.

Star is location of the ache and the arrows indicate where it's tender / painful to touch:

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/594259/gallery/leg_pain.jpg?width=350

I can ping about the place without issue; up / down stairs and then all of a sudden out of nowhere, sometime when static, the ache presents itself.  I've stretched everything and foam rollered IT but the issue seems only to hide for a short while.

I want to avoid taking a hack saw to leg out of frustatioin.  Any clues / leads most welcome!

12/11/2012 at 11:29

When you say you have "foam rollered IT" by IT do you mean your IT Band or the muscle you indicated?

12/11/2012 at 11:46

MM ... calf, soleus, ham, quad and gleuts being stretched twice daily. IT and now piriformis being foam rollered and I've recently found on t'internet a video on how to stretch the peroneus longus.

The knee ache seems to have subsided somewhat, although it occasionally produces cracking/snapping noise suggesting something is still awry and tenderness at top of peroneus longus (directly below knee) remains ever-present.

12/11/2012 at 11:52

maybe just a case of time, gentle stretching, ice & massage.

I have problems with mine last year, but it was at the other end by the ankle and took 2-3 weeks before it was anywhere near better (using lots of the above!)

I use zero drop shoes and had to switch to shoes with more built up heels until it was recovered so as not to overstretch it.

12/11/2012 at 12:09

It's a real b*gger.  I tend not to eat particularly healthily, which running / triathlon training tends to counterbalance, however, forced rest combined with the associated "blues" isn't fun.

Regardless, thanks for contribution.  I shall continue to hope that the peroneus longus messiah might still appear.

12/11/2012 at 12:14

no i didnt rest either (oops), but continued to hobble and limp my way through the training i was doing at the time

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
12 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.