Persistent Cramp

4 messages
07/02/2013 at 14:22

I'm training for my first triathlon. In recent weeks, I've been getting persistent cramps when swimming, which I find a little odd, as to be honest, as the swimming isn't the hardest training I do, and certainly not particularly hard on the legs. The cramps alternate between legs, and tend to be in the calves, but have also been in the quads. I'm basically cramping up every time I swim after about 1200m or so.

I've increased training up a bit in the past few weeks: running 3 or 4 times a week, turbo trainer 2 or 3 times a week, and swimming once or twice. Given that the cramps move about a bit, I am assuming it is probably something to do with diet - seems reasonable? Any advice?

07/02/2013 at 15:15

Dan - it's probably the swimming itself - cramping in swims is pretty common

there's no definite reason why it happens but most experts finger

• pushing too hard off the wall
  • keeping toes straight (try to keep the ankle loose)
  • poor kick
  • dehydration (yep - you sweat a fair bit swimming)
  • electrolytes

there's quite a good article here about it and suggested solutions - http://triathlete-europe.competitor.com/2012/09/19/swim-cramps-what-why-how-to-deal-with-them

Edited: 07/02/2013 at 15:15
07/02/2013 at 21:32

As above...there's loads of reasons to why, and cramping whilst swimming is very common.

Try and relax your legs more and focus on a more relaxed 'floppy' kick (as in floppy ankles). Also make sure you're having enough salts etc. I would often get them when I as morning training and so electrolyte levels were a bit depleted.  Mostly just try and keep your legs more relaxed, and if it happens stretch your leg off, massage the area a bit and then head off again focusing on a big, relaxed leg action

08/02/2013 at 09:56

alternatively, swim with a pull buoy and don't bother with the kick if that's the cause of the cramps - one less problem then!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.