Physio webchat with Paul Hobrough

We are hosting a webchat this Friday lunchtime, get your questions in now.

1 to 20 of 58 messages
22/01/2014 at 12:21

Our new resident Physiotherapist Paul Hobrough, is joining us this Friday lunchtime at 1:30pm to answer all your injury questions. Feeling a few niggles through marathon training, or still struggling with a long-term problem? Post your questions below. 

22/01/2014 at 12:47

I've recently developed what I think is IT band syndrome with pain down the outside out my left knee - what are the best ways to recover from this and how long does it usually take? And can I do any other form of exercise whilst I'm unable to run (like cycling, aerobic style fitness classes, hiking)? I'm anxious to minimize the recovery time so I can get back running again but I also don't want to lose too much fitness or jeopardise my race schedule for the next few months!

22/01/2014 at 12:49

I keep on getting calf strain. whenever I get it, I don't run at all for two or three weeks. Last time, I had about  six weeks off running, but it came back again almost immediately. i've got orthotics. Any advice.

22/01/2014 at 12:55

Same as Sheila, I keep getting calf strain. I rest and it eases but then often returns pretty quickly. It's happened with both calves (seperately). Also my calves ache after most runs! I'm definitely doing something wrong. I have compression socks & calf guards but they're just masking the issue.

22/01/2014 at 12:57

I've been having a niggling pain in one of my toes for a number of weeks, which became really bad during a 16km run. I continued through the run (the pain subsided after 20 mins) and then took 10 days off running. I've been trying to start up again, but I still get a sharp pain sometimes in the end of my toe when I run. I discovered that when I press on one specific area of the ball of my foot, I feel the pain at the end of my toe. I think this could be some nerve damage perhaps? Do you have any suggestions for recovery? I've tried a week of taking ibuprofen to reduce any swelling, but I can still sense it there in the background. I was running with specially made inserts at the time it happened (I had them fitted about 8 weeks ago)...

22/01/2014 at 13:00

HI

Paul I  Have developed  this really deep pain in my upper right hamstring I do lot of stretching and foam roller to ease the pain but just below the right bum cheek cant seem to shift it Any advice also I bought new pair of running shoes couple of month ago And my last event I did was over 5 k which is not my distance I do more 10miles - half marathons but it seemed to start when doing shorter distances last month .

22/01/2014 at 13:03
Achilles tendonitis. Came on after PTT, which went away no problem, but the achilles just won't get better. Tried rest, heel raises, short runs, ice... Any other options or tricks?
22/01/2014 at 13:11

Hi, I'm doing the Rome marathon at the end of March and pre-Christmas, training was going really well and I was up to 12 miles with little difficulty. Unfortunately I put my back out just before Christmas and then spent three weeks on holiday not doing any running. When I returned I pushed myself too far, too fast and my back has been niggling ever since - not enough to stop me running but enough to be of concern. Since my 13.5 mile run last weekend my knee has also been feeling a bit dodgy - walking up or down stairs has caused a strange sensation though it's been okay this week when running. I've been replacing some of my training runs with cross trainer sessions to try and lessen the impact on my knee and back - is there anything else I can do to keep my fitness up whilst also allowing my body to heal?

22/01/2014 at 13:27

I guess you can add me to the list of people with calf issues. My right calf feels fairly tight all the time, and is sometimes painful. Not enough to stop me running, and it doesn't noticeably worsen during running, but it does tighten up more after running. I also have some occasional pain when running in my right hamstring, so I'm wondering if that's related?

So far I've added additional stretching and a longer warm-up into my runs, and I'm using a foam roller (generally, and also holding on specific points).

I'm not a 'pro' runner as such, in fact I'm only really just getting comfortable - this is my only real niggle. Mileages aren't high (by any standard), I'm mixing up the paces (not all fast, not all slow), and I'm getting plenty of rest.

Any ideas on cause or exercises that I can do to ease it would be great

Thanks!

Edited: 22/01/2014 at 13:28
22/01/2014 at 13:28
Hi paul,ive not run since 14th july 2013.the problem i have is pain in the 5th metatarsal on the side of the foot, weakness where the foot meets the bottom of the leg,all the way across.Also above the ankle on both sides.Im fine walking and the cross trainer,but Im struggling to hop on my leg.It gives way on hard impact and feels weak.Its 6 1/2 months now,been seeing physio since sept 5th..Had an Xray all fine,physio says bruised bone.
Another 3 weeks of Heel raises,lunges and balance..and then he says we will look at having a scan.I did london last year and by may had done 650 miles.Im thinking ligament damage,would really appreciate yours thoughts.
22/01/2014 at 14:04

Since Christmas I've started getting a sharp intermittent pain in the middle of my left leg just under my buttock. It just feels tight all the time I'm running and its restricting how fast I can run,but does'nt effect me any other time. I've been doing hamstring stretches after each run and that easies It. But in time it gradually stiffens up. Any advice would be helpfull. 

22/01/2014 at 14:31

Hi  I've been diagnosed with a Morton's Neuroma, whats the best way of dealing with this, is it worthwhile paying for special insoles, would a change of shoe help, currently run in Brooks Adrenalin as I'm an overpronator, not sure if something like Hokas would help. I want to be able to run another marathon and just don't think my foot would let me at the moment.

Thanks

22/01/2014 at 14:36

I'm similar to Daniel above. Developed a persistent nagging ache in my upper right hamstring/glute. Self diagnosed as proximal hamstring tendonopathy...driving hurts and touching my toes is the killer stretch (normally done with ease). I'm stretching, rolling and strengthening. Should I stop running altogether?

22/01/2014 at 15:11
Similar to Kemmaw, I have pain to the side of my left knee which comes on 2 miles into a run. This is my 3rd episode of IT band trouble in just under 3 years. I managed to train for the London Marathon last year with no problems. I was training for this year's London Marathon and had completed one 20 mile long run. The physio this time thinks I should try orthotics as I overpronate. Do orthotics help much for IT band problems? Does it make a lot of difference going for custom made as opposed to off the shelf ones? I have also been doing hip and glute strengthening exercises as well as using a foam roller.
22/01/2014 at 16:00

After 3 months of thinking I had a hamstring injury my doctor has diagnosed a trapped nerve in my back. This is at times causing pain from my buttocks to my ankle but pain is always there in the hamstring area of my leg. Is there anything I can do that might help ease the pain. I do lots of stretches and also pilates to try to ease it and really don't want to give up running as I am starting training for my first half marathon. Sports physio says glutes & hamstring all ok, plenty movement in leg etc.

22/01/2014 at 21:12

Hi there, can you advise me achilles pain please. Tried icing, heel,lifts, gait analysis, stair drops.. I tore one of them 3 years ago which was operated on and I s. Perfect now, but the other one is just getting worse, I can't stop running- it's my passion but I have read conflicting advice about heel drop stretches (alfreddson? ) and whether they can cause more damage. Please help? 

22/01/2014 at 21:17
I've been very lucky so far with injuries just resolving with a few rest days. However Achilles tendinitis more stubborn. It eases with not running for a few days but is then aggravated by even a short gentle run. 12 weeks to go to london marathon. Any thoughts on how best to treat this apart from rest, ice, core work, cross training please?
23/01/2014 at 14:21
Weird one this.. ive injured my right bicep recently and as a consequence have "tightened up" my top body and find this has ruined my run flow.speed ad stamina have suffered cos i get tired more quickly. Any idea how to solve this while arm is healing?
23/01/2014 at 19:09

Hiya, last year I had to defer from marathon one week before due to knee pain. private mri diagnosed this "soft tissue oedema beneath the iliotibial band at the level of the lateral femoral condyle in keeping with iliotibial band friction syndrome" after 3 months of rest, glute, hip and general leg strengthening - the pain was still there so I had a cortisone injection back in june which was amazing no pain since. i have regularly been running 30+ miles a week since. I am marathon training again - building up my long runs am upto 15 miles, however my knee is very slightly achy again. 

any tips how I successfully train this time around? Am still doing lots of strength/stretching and regular sports massage.  Am i always going to have a weakness there?  would be really gutted if the same happens again! Any help gratefully received! 

Thank you for any advice

Katy

23/01/2014 at 21:53
Have been suffering with posterior tibialis tendinitis for about six weeks now. I tried a run last sun since feeling stronger but my ankle still doesn't feel right. How much longer? I have been strengthening and stretching massaging. I managed 10k at the weekend.
1 to 20 of 58 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.