Physiotherapy... a con.. or not

8 messages
31/01/2008 at 10:15

so.... i went to see a physio last night and she confirmed what i thought was wrong... She also told me that i have quick weak legs and poor stability which maybe causing the injury ( my IT band)

anyway so she did a bit of massage and straped my knee up a bit to give it a bit of extra support.

By the way i dont have any pain in my knee anymore and a bit of pain at the top of my bottom.. any i have sort of self treated with streches and stuff..

i also asked what kind of exercises do i need to do to improve stability and strenghten legs...she says we'll have to see...

so after this 1st 20 -30 mins she say we need to see you in 48 hrs...?? i said i thought that might be a bit difficult (work etc time) and she again said it really important  we see you in 48hrs...

my suspictions.. i have never know a medical person want to see a patient again.. let alone sort of insist 48hr! for what is a sports injury!  even my GP is like come in whnever you can!!

she didn't really show me any exercises

when i said it could get expensive and i was only expected  1 visit - i said i had BUPA - her response definetly go through them!!

How do i know if she is being fair and honest and not just making money!!

31/01/2008 at 10:19

just realised my spelling is crap.. apologies...

31/01/2008 at 10:46

I think physiotherapy is an on-going kind of thing - I know people do go regularly, and when I have had sports injury treatment I've had several sessions.

If you have BUPA, use it - that's what your premiums are paying for.

31/01/2008 at 11:00
If you don't trust your physio ask someone to recommend one. I'd do whatever mine tells me, no matter how unlikely it seems, took me three attempts to find the current one and the two I saw on the way were perfectly ok, just not quite as good for me.
Farnie    pirate
31/01/2008 at 11:18

My problem is caused by years of incorect use, and core instability,

I would be amazed if a physio could correct it in one go.  It is going to take months.,

But you need to be happy and trust who you are seeing.  Why not say where abouts you are and ask for some recommendations?

31/01/2008 at 11:24

HC11, firstly I'm not a physio, I'm a sports therapist, but deal with sports injuries similarly. The 48 hour thing is usually to see if the treatment you've been given, be it massage, mobilisation, exercises, taping etc has been effective or not.

As a general rule, the first day post-treatment is the settling down day where you may have treatment soreness, depending on the injury and what was done etc, so day 2 is more realistic in terms of a normal day. The very nature of musculoskeletal injuries dictate that recovery isn't going to happen after one visit.

However I would question the fact she's not given you any exercises to self-manage your condition. Usually patients can't take in a lot of info regarding exercises, stretches. This isn't being derogatory but they're trying to remember what you've told them etc. I tend to give no more than 1 or 2, and any lengthy or detailed ones I either write down or email.

If you're not happy with the physio, it's your right to see someone else and most clinics accept this.

31/01/2008 at 11:35

well...she seems ok enough - its my visit to one so i wasnt really sure of what to expect.   see seemed a bit ....wont tell you this info until you see me again...

and because i dont feel any pain in my knee any more i was a bit disapointed she didnt give me any exercises....  

im in wimbledon.. so any reccomendations welcome! 

31/01/2008 at 20:00
I responded to this one on the general thread...

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.