physiotherapy courses

4 messages
22/02/2006 at 22:16
I AM CONSIDERING A COURSE IN PHYSIOTHERAPY.
I SEE THIS AS THE START OF MY OWN BUSINESS.
CAN YOU ADVISE WHICH COURSES WOULD BE MOST RELEVANT AND WHICH ARE RECOGNISED BY PRIVATE HEALTH EG BUPA,PPP,HSA

THANKS
22/02/2006 at 22:29
What sort of level David - it's a full degree. It's quite a commitment - several years and then further training after that in all likelihood.

I'm now hoping to make this leap - but I did an ITEC Anatomy, Physiology and Massage course first as a "taster" to see how I found it
22/02/2006 at 23:01
You need to contact the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy if you want details of recognised courses. Try www.csp.org.uk Remember physio is more than just sports injuries and you will have to complete a wide variety of placements in order to qualify. It is a strenuous and acaedemic discipline and not for the faint hearted! Good luck!
22/02/2006 at 23:29
Physiotherapist is now a protected term so only people who are professionally qualified -ie Chartered Physiotherapists following the 3 or 4 year degree course are entitled to use it

another point - Physiotherapy is a very competive degree course - many more applicants for the courses than places - even though the places have increased in the last few years

however there is also currently a national shortage of Junior (newly qualified Physio ) vacancies with many of last years graduates still unable to find the first job that will be the starting point of their careers

http://www.csp.org.uk/director/workplaceissues/supportingunemployedgraduates.cfm#1

it takes additional post qualification training and usually a couple of years experience after leaving Uni before Junior Physios are experienced enough to work independently in Outpatient settings where most of the musculo-skeletal work (including but far from exclusively sports injuries-mostly back and neck pain !) takes place

so it would be a few years before you were trained and experienced enough to set up on your own in Private Practice

however if you do decide to embark on it as a career it is a diverse and interesting profession

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.