Pins and needles in thigh

How do I get rid of this annoying thigh pain?

9 messages
05/02/2009 at 13:37

I've had a pin and needles type pain in the outside of my right thigh for a few months now and it's started to be quite annoying. It's not really painful, just uncomfortable.

Thought it might go of its own accord but sadly not.

A quick trawl of t'internet came up with the impressive sounding meralgia paraesthetica which seems to be a trapped nerve condition.

Has anyone been diagnosed with this before or know how to get rid of it?

Just training for FLM but no problems last year when training for Edinburgh marathon and the few years of running half marathons and 10Ks before this.

T'internet seems to suggest it can be due to being overweight in many cases but I'm a skinny 11.5 stone so obviously not that.

It might not even be meralgia but can't think what else. I could waste my doctor's time and ask him but thought I'd ask some other runners first.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks,

Jon

05/02/2009 at 18:05

I used to get a similar sensation on the outside of my right thigh.  It was pretty minor so I never really thought much about it.  But a couple of months ago I started suffering with pain on the outside of my right knee (which I've since discovered is IT Band Syndrome).  I am now wondering whether that tingling sensation was my IT band starting to play up (possibly where it attaches to the muscles).  I have now bought a foam roller to try to massage the leg and loosen off the band/muscles.  It seems to be working for me.

These are just my personal experiences and thoughts (I might be completely wrong) so it's best that you get it looked at by a professional.  A bit of massage or physio might prevent it getting worse...

05/02/2009 at 20:55

Jon

Pins and needles does sound like it's a nerve related thing and seeing as it's been hanging around for a few months and not getting better, i suggest you get it checked out with a sports med doc and/or a chiro (my personal experience is that chiro's have the edge on nerve related conditions over physios).  I've had something similar to this (lateral cutaneous nerve of the thigh was mentioned to me!) so can relate to how bloody annoying it is and which has taken me a year to get rid of and still not gone totally (mine is related to a dodgy disk in my back).

I hope this helps and good luck

06/02/2009 at 10:57

The nerve involved runs just in front of  your Anterior Superior Iliac Spine which is the lump of bone that sticks out at the bottom of your abdomen on either side (if your thin!!!) . Often the nerve can be trapped against the bone by trousers, belts etc. May be worth adjusting these to help matters.

Can have treatment with injections etc if can`t find and remove the cause

06/02/2009 at 11:26

Dear all,

Meralgia paraesthetica is not common.

The diagnosis is made on the history of pins and needles in the thigh (recent operations, weight gain, a fall, or local pressure from tight jeans and girdles are all relevent) an examination of the thigh for numbness, the groin for swellings, abdomen, spine and peripheral nerves.

Nerve conduction studies, xray, ultrasound, MRI and CT may be relevant investigations but tend to be reserved for persistent symptoms or associated pathology.

Treatment depends on the diagnosis. In runners it is often caused by direct nerve compression from the bum bag strap many wear.

Hope this helps

John Hardy

06/02/2009 at 12:39

I had a L5/S1 nerve root injection and it did bugger all for my leg pain

Don't think i'd bother again.

06/02/2009 at 13:46

Thanks all for the suggestions and comments.

I do generally wear a water belt on the long runs so it could be related to that.

I'll have to make sure it's not too tight and check possibility of getting a sports massage.

Cheers,

Jon 

06/02/2009 at 14:37
you could see a physio?
12/02/2009 at 09:45

Hi Buney.

Hopefully seeing one this weekend!

Thanks,

Jon

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
9 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.