Plantar Fasciitis advice

21 to 29 of 29 messages
13/10/2002 at 16:46
cut back on your running or you'll regret it later. stretch your hams and calves at least 3 times a day (warm them first)and roll a golf ball on the underside of your foot. take an ibrufen after running have a good streching session then apply ice. if like me, you must run, then standby for years of painfull running.
14/10/2002 at 13:55
Can anyone tell me what the symptoms and treatment of plantar fascilitis are? The bottom of my foot gets quite sore if I run (or even walk) more than around 5 miles. It feels like bruising underneath my heel and along the left side of my foot. Is this plantar F or something else? Is rest the recommended treatment (if so how long) or can I get away with still running? If I carry on running will it get worse or will it just stay how it is (bearable if annoying).
14/10/2002 at 16:20
Alistair

My GP referred me to a podiatrist with a case of PF. The podiatrist said that I also have Plantar Calcaneal Bursitis.

It is essential a very deep blister. It sound like you might have the same thing. Does it feel warm on a morning or after resting? Does the pain subside the more you walk on it?

He recommended alternate heat/ice 3-4 times a day and rest. I've only been doing for a week and it feels OK but I think that's just because I'm not training. The real test will be how it feels when I start running again. I think it'll just flare-up again as soon as I start running.

My advice to everyone else would be to stop running sooner rather than later because it doesn't just go away, but it does get worse.

Glad to hear that some folk manage to shift it. Well done Furryness!!!
14/10/2002 at 17:23
thanks for the advice. My symptons are very similar to Joanne better when walking on but terrible getting out of bed etc.Have been to the GP today and got a referral to podiatry but expect there is a long wait. Have also decided to get a new pair of shoes as my ones are fairly old, and although they look OK may have lost the cushionning.

Really difficult not to run and tempted to try just a short one to say how it is.

Really difficul not to run as am sitting here thinking perhaps I'll try a short one but s
16/10/2002 at 20:44
ihave had PF FOR 1YR!! i HAVE HAD 3 STEROIDS STRAPPING{WHICH HELPED}/ PODIATRY ADVICE, STRETCHIND ETC. i HAVE GIVEN UP 7DECIDED IF I WAS HAVING PAIN i MAY AS WELL RUN!! IHACE BEEN RUNNING 8 WKS NOW AND THE PAIN IS NO WORES. GETTING OUT OF BED A BIG PROBLEM, WALKING AROUND AFTER SITTING A PROBLEM, BUT IT IS NO WORSE FOR RUNNING ONCE YOU GET GOING IT APPEARS TO EASE SLIGHTLY IS THIS THE ANSWER?
16/10/2002 at 20:47
ihave had PF FOR 1YR!! i HAVE HAD 3 STEROIDS STRAPPING{WHICH HELPED}/ PODIATRY ADVICE, STRETCHING ETC. i HAVE GIVEN UP AND DECIDED IF I WAS HAVING PAIN i MAY AS WELL RUN!! II HAVE BEEN RUNNING 8 WKS NOW AND THE PAIN IS NO WORSE. GETTING OUT OF BED A BIG PROBLEM, WALKING AROUND AFTER SITTING A PROBLEM, BUT IT IS NO WORSE FOR RUNNING ONCE YOU GET GOING IT APPEARS TO EASE SLIGHTLY, IS THIS THE ANSWER?
16/10/2002 at 20:48
OOOPS, PRESSED THE WRONG BUTTON, TWO FOR THE PRICE OF ONE!
17/10/2002 at 08:52
Oh Anne

That doesn't sound very good at all. I really feel for you.

What is a steroid strapping? My GP mentioned an injection in my heel and a lady at work who had PF, had only one injection and it solved the problem.

My podiatrist on the other hand is not so keen and insists that I try less aggressive methods of treatment first. But it all seems so futile especially on hearing your PF story!

Yours now very depressed

Jo

P.S. was your message in CAPS BECAUSE YOU WERE SHOUTING?
17/10/2002 at 20:45
Hi Jo,what I meant was I had 3 steroid injections into the foot, but also had strapping put on by the podiatrist. This helped, the injections didn't. I still have pain on getting out of bed and during the day, but have decided to run as it is no worse for running.I did too much speed work and ended up with a hamstring problem which sort of made the pain in my foot not so bad!!!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 29 of 29 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.