Plantar Fastitis

21 to 27 of 27 messages
28/08/2012 at 17:46

thanks Tom - I'll get hold of some and give it a whirl.  in for a penny and all that!  I have another tri on 8th Sep woth a 10k run so that's going to put more load onto my foot so trying to go forefoot for the whole distance might not be doable and the taping may help as well.  I might also revert to my Numbus for that as they have the orthotics in whereas the DS trainers don't.

I have Brighton Marathon planned for next year to celebrate the big 60th so I do need to try to get the PF resolved ready for training for that

31/08/2012 at 09:54
Adrian Stillwell wrote (see)

AbleFeet.

My symptoms are I have pain down the outside of my right foot that is extremely painful first thing but gets easier as I walk on it, if I rest for a period it comes back. Running is OK and since I have the new trainers it seems to be getting a lot better

Adrian,

You mentioned before that you spent too long in changing your trainers.  What were you using befoe and what are you using now?  Also, you've been prescribed orthotics - for what?  What treaments have you trialled - and what has helped and what hasn't? What sort of training programme are you doing? Have you recently changed distance / terrain / frequency? When you get the pain, what does it feel like? (eg aching, bruised, sharp, stabbing, tingling, pins/needles, numbness......)

That'll do for now.

Ablefeet

31/08/2012 at 10:26
fat buddha wrote (see)

" But it is not the way to go if you truly have plantar fasciitis."

FB,

If you bothered to read my original question it was asked directly to Adrian, and was not to 'diss' anyones attempts at an 'alternative' treatment. If you've tried everything and it's not worked, of course you're going to try any alternative to get rid of the pain (or god forbid that the original diagnosis may be incorrect and not be PF at all!)  If the only information the patient gives you at the initial consultation is "I get heel pain", this could be a myriad of problems, as well as plantar fasciitis.  I was purely trying to give an educated and experienced answer to the question.  And yes, I do believe that barefoot running is counter productive as a treatment modality for PF, in patients who have never been a barefoot runner (different for patients who already combine barefoot running as part of their training programme). 

Several people in this thread have mentioned all sorts of different things to try to address PF, and it sounds as though you've tried most, but don't be so confident to think that "I don't need that, I'm strong enough already".  Similar to what Tom discussed, I use kinesiology tape on several patients with PF and have had some great results.  I have tried several different companies but have found Rocktape H20 to work the best on the plantar fascia (I have absolutely no link to them whatsoever, I've just found they've given me the best results for my patients).  I found with this version of the tape they make it sticker that their normal tape, therefore allowing for better support of the PF with less likelihood of it coming apart (those sweaty feet can be a real issue!). This can work very well diagnostically, indicating that you may therefore benefit from some orthoses (semi bespoke or bespoke - a rant for another day....).  You said you had orthoses, but when were these prescribed for you and what were they originally prescribed for. If you had your orthoses prescribed years ago, but you've only had the PF since January, the orthoses potentially are no longer "doing their job" and may need to be altered.

You also mentioned cortisone injections. I've found some patients whom I've injected have had brilliant results, others a minimal benefit (and you can't keep injecting the patient as there's evidence to show that it can increase the chance of a rupture of the plantar fascia).

In answer to the change in your running style - if you're the accomplished athlete that you say you are who has never had a problem running for years and years, why would you want to change from heel striking. It will not be this that has caused your PF.

Cheers,

Ablefeet

Edited: 31/08/2012 at 10:33
31/08/2012 at 14:24

Ablefeet

I was using Brooks Summons, am now using Asic Nimbus 14. My orthotics are for a range of bio mechanic problems, I had club feet when born, I broke my righth leg when I was 15, 16 and 24. The second break was set with a 22 deg vulgar angulation but no leg difference. When I was 24 it was broken again, they opted to correct the angulation but it left me with a leg length difference of about 1 cm and some bio mech issues. I did 12 years in the Army (17-29). 

I currently run between 15 -25 mile a week, I cycle, swim and weight train as well. I was 19st 7lb in November last year and have now reached 14st 4lb (freedom of not having to do Phys led to weight gain). I run as I please really, average distance is about 6 mile and terrain can vary from road, track and towpaths. I don't follow a training program but run for fun.

The pain is one of soreness and it did affect my little toe for a bit, since I have been using the new trainers it has stopped hurting as much and I do the stretches and exercises that have been recommended and that helps no end.

Edited: 31/08/2012 at 14:35
31/08/2012 at 15:37
Ablefeet wrote (see)

Several people in this thread have mentioned all sorts of different things to try to address PF, and it sounds as though you've tried most, but don't be so confident to think that "I don't need that, I'm strong enough already".  Similar to what Tom discussed, I use kinesiology tape on several patients with PF and have had some great results.  I have tried several different companies but have found Rocktape H20 to work the best on the plantar fascia (I have absolutely no link to them whatsoever, I've just found they've given me the best results for my patients).  I found with this version of the tape they make it sticker that their normal tape, therefore allowing for better support of the PF with less likelihood of it coming apart (those sweaty feet can be a real issue!). This can work very well diagnostically, indicating that you may therefore benefit from some orthoses (semi bespoke or bespoke - a rant for another day....).  You said you had orthoses, but when were these prescribed for you and what were they originally prescribed for. If you had your orthoses prescribed years ago, but you've only had the PF since January, the orthoses potentially are no longer "doing their job" and may need to be altered.

In answer to the change in your running style - if you're the accomplished athlete that you say you are who has never had a problem running for years and years, why would you want to change from heel striking. It will not be this that has caused your PF.

Cheers,

Ablefeet

Able - understood fully but if you read my post at the top of this page the you will see I am trying taping as well.    not Rocktape that you suggest but standard kinesio tape which arrived today so I should get a run out with it at the weekend.   out of interest is your taping method for PF the same as Tom's??  there's seems to be a number of ways of taping for PF if you search YouTube - most of them being more of a under heel and then the tape fanned out under the foot which is very different to Tom's video one.   recommendations seem confusing

the forefoot strike thing is purely an experiment to see what effect it might have while I'm suffering the PF.  I'm not convinced it's a cure either but let's see where it takes me eh??  but it's not something I'm going to try in a race yet until I adapt - if I adapt - I'll stick to my usual gait for a while in races.   much like the taping - no harm trying.  I've always believed that we have a natural gait and you should stick to it if possible and only investigate others if injury prevents you running "normally" - that's where I'm coming from here.

the orthoses are ones that have been prescribed since the diagnosis.  have they helped?  mildly I guess is the answer which makes me wonder.  they certainly help while running in that I don't notice the pain but they don't stop the pain developing post race.

the cortisone can wait a while - let's try the less invasive ideas first

31/08/2012 at 22:45
Just a quickie...
Fat Buddha there are lots of taping techniques for most things. The only way to see what works for you is to try a couple out and see what is most effective in reducing your pain. The one on RunningPhysio is the one I've found most effective with runners with PF.
Right, time for sleep...long run in the morning...
01/09/2012 at 04:41

Mine started 6 months ago

Tried some rest, exercise, complete break, more exercises, fitflop trainers, various orthotics, Strasbourg sock.

In eventual exaspertion had cortisone at end of June - all was well, cured - or so I thought. Soon as I have upped running, it has started to flare up again. I wear orthotics in every shoe I wear, even flip flops. Dr said you should never walk around barefoot - with or without PF. So I dont. But of course when you are cured, you become a little forgetful and complacent.

As I am a triathlete I can get my training still from bike and swim - I am fast beginning to think this is the way forward. Reluctantly I have to say.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 27 of 27 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.