Poor recovery

4 messages
14/05/2004 at 23:18
I have been running on and off for last 20 years.I have always been limited to short distances due to poor recovery. I can run and cycle well but the problem is my recovery and always has been. The next day or evening I will feel vrey very tired,depressed in mood and irritable. Have started taking iron tablets x1 per day in hope of improvement. Does anyone have any suggestions? i want to run but feel defeated by the poor recovery.
15/05/2004 at 15:29
Jane - Do you reload with a decent-sized snack of carbohydrate plus protein soon after exercising? That has been shown to significantly aid recovery.
17/05/2004 at 15:00
Related to this, as I am just about to start week 3 of the RW run/walk programme, what should I be eating after running? Today I have eaten so far

Special K and semi skimmed milk (breakfast)

2 x bananas (pre run nosh, about 1 and a half hours before)

chopped peppers, a Pret a Manger muesli and yoghurt thing (post run food)

Could I have suggestions ofr specific food, rather than the mix of carbs/protein etc?

Hopefully Jane might find this useful. I can do the science bit later (after work?!)
17/05/2004 at 19:26
Toast with peanut butter gives a good carb/protein ratio for post-run snacking.

Also, a smoothie made with banana, fruit juice and low fat yogurt is good - even better with ice cubes on a hot day !

Bagel with low-fat cream cheese and a sweet or savoury topping (I like marmalade, but realise that might be an acquired taste).

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.