Popliteus muscle - any sufferers?

17 messages
04/07/2008 at 19:25
Hi

My physio has diagnosed an inlamed popliteus, a small muscle along the back of the knee. I haven't run for nine days and he says rest and stretching the hamstrings/calves should settle it down. Crucially he says he cannot put a timescale on running again. He says it will "be right when it's right". I'm climbing the walls but it is too painful to run on although walking/ cycling/swimming is fine.

Would be interested to hear tales of recovery periods from this injury...

Thanks
Edited: 04/07/2008 at 19:30
04/07/2008 at 21:17

Sometimes a counter-strain treatment can help with popliteus strains - ask your physio about it - some don't know about it, some do.

I treated Mr S with this technique recently and it seemed to work - don't know if it was that per se that fixed him - the day after he had treatment soreness, then 48 hours later no popliteus pain.

Avoid breaststroke if swimming due to rotational forces on the knee.

06/07/2008 at 12:19
What is counter strain treatment Siance?
07/07/2008 at 20:30
Quick update on this - I've been swimming, cycling and to the gym and can do anything when it comes to exercise - APART from run. Tried two minutes on the treadmill and the ache/discomfort in the back of the knee came on after about 40- seconds. I wonder if these popliteus injuries stick around for  some time? More rest needed methinks...
11/07/2008 at 08:47

Hi

I've had the same injury for several months and still have it to some extent. I had to stop running for nearly 3 months but was able to cycle with no problems. I started running again in early June starting with 5 mins and running every other day, adding 2 mins every run. I'm convinced the key is a very slow build up and even now I'm only up to c. 45 mins. I still get the odd twinge and some aching behind and on the inside of the knee but am mostly running pain free. However, I think it will be a long time before I'm back to 30 miles a week.

My physio has been excellent. I've followed a strict regime of stretches and strengthening exercises which, although time consuming and frankly boring, I'm convinced have helped. She tells me it's a difficult injury to treat.

Hope your recovery goes well. I'm not the most patient of people but if you can be patient hopefully it will be rewarded.

11/07/2008 at 18:44
runnersbeen wrote (see)

What is counter strain treatment Siance?

it's a positional release muscle technique.  The painful joint is passively positioned by the therapist to relieve discomfort and/or dysfunction. It works by 'countering' the initial strain using muscles around the joint.

An osteo taught me it. (thanks John!)

11/07/2008 at 19:24
I wish you lived near me Siance.
19/07/2008 at 18:35

Another wee update.

Rested knee for three weeks although did a bit of gym work to retain some fitness. Tried a one-mile run this week and felt ok. But back of knee became sore a few hours later. Soreness remained for 24 hours. Back to physio the next day who said give it more time as it obviously hasn't healed. So it's three more weeks (at least) of rest and x- training.....and then try again...

23/10/2008 at 14:39
Any update? I have a similar problem and 6 weeks later (and after 3 weeks physio) I'm still getting niggles and I can't run. I'm a bit nervous that the cycling in the gym I've been doing might be aggravating things. Did you get back running?
23/10/2008 at 15:11
Barongreenback, cycling should be ok (if it's pain-free obviously). Just check your mechanics as you  cycle, correct seat height etc. And if you can see yourself in a mirror to check form and leg alignment i.e. make sure leg's not rotating excessively while cycling which would indicate muscle imbalance in hip area. Sounds obvious but body starts to compensate and can be all over the place when tired!
23/10/2008 at 15:59
Thanks Siance. It doesn't hurt whilst I'm doing it (knees crack a bit to start with but not with any pain). Very frustrating being injured! I presume that the knee should be slightly bent but not completely extended whilst on the bike?
23/10/2008 at 16:14
Yeah don't go for full lock-out. Saddle about hip height when stood next to it.
23/10/2008 at 16:22
Cool - thanks again.
23/10/2008 at 16:55
Hi

Yes. Rest was the cure. About five weeks in all. I then started from scratch with a one-mile run and built up slowly. I'm now doing a half marathon a week on Sunday.

If it is the popliteus, then remember it is only a muscle - and will heal with rest. Good luck.
23/10/2008 at 17:48
Cheers Pendle, glad you're back in the game.
23/10/2008 at 20:28
I had it bad last October, it actually started mid September but I did a 17.1 mile trail raced on it and that put me out for 6 weeks (not as long as I thought). I rested a couple of weeks then started doing bodyweight squats and lunges and some box jumps, plyometric type stuff, but no running or cycling.  
I didn't run until I couldn't feel it doing the figure 4 stretch.
I think mine was caused by too much downhill running and it took me a while after starting back before I risked it on the hills again, but the week after Christmas did 3 downhill fell races in 3 days and it was fine and has been ever since (famous last word).
Edited: 23/10/2008 at 20:29
06/08/2013 at 07:53

i to had a sprain since 2 weeks but pain has gone only comes after i run two mile i have a hillmaraton 3 weeks later can anybody suggest something

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
17 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.