Poss Sartorius pain - racing Sunday!

1 message
11/09/2009 at 07:59

I am running the Great Capital Run on Sunday.  I did a 30min run on Wednesday evening.  Yesterday I went for a circuit session.  Hopped on the treadmill to warm up at a jog, & within two minutes had pain on the inside of my left knee (about 2 o'clock position, looking down at my knee, just below the knee cap.  Within about 15 mins into the session I could hardly put weight on my leg, & was aware that I was trying to avoid bending it when getting into & out of positions for the exercises.  The pain feels like a shin splint, but too high up, & it hurts all the time - just worse if I'm active.  The PT at the gym reckons it's most likely the bottom of my sartorius.  I ended up packing in the circuits session early, & went home practically hopping & iced/elevated etc.  this morning it is a bit sore but nowhere near as bad as last night.  Hurts if I bend my knee, so I'm still tending to hobble a bit. 

I have two rest days prior to the GCR, which I really want to do as I am raising sponsorship for a very important cause (hospice).  I have also had to miss a previous Great Run event due to ill health & it's bloomin' expensive to enter these things & then not to run 'em.

At the moment I'm inclined to strap my knee, take painkillers, & do it anyway given we're talking 5k here, not an ultra..  Although even as I write this I know that I would be horrified if my running buddies said they were doing the same thing...! 

On the other hand, I get on very well with my neighbours, who are doctors, so I may toddle round to see them tonight & ask them whether I'll do myself a lot more damage if I run.  If not, I'll see how well I can ignore the pain.  If so, then it looks like I'll be walking at the back.  Though that feels a bit of a cheat ref. the sponsorship... 

Edited: 11/09/2009 at 08:18

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
1 message
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.