Possbile Exercise-Induced Asthma

Anyone have experience with EIA?

3 messages
13/02/2014 at 15:36

Hi Guys,

So, I've decided to get back into running & have been running for 3 weeks now. All my runs apart from today's were in the aerobic zone (~145-150bpm).Today I did a fast run instead (22 mins @ ~160-170bpm) & as is usually the case with a fast run, I was fairly out of breath. However, I could only inhale/exhale a very small amount of air no matter how hard I tried. I'm not sure to what extent it is normal, I'm sure breathing will be harder when running hard but to that extent?

Anyway, when I got back, I was noticeably wheezing & coughing. I also had a tightness in my throat/top of my lungs. It was bad for half an hour & took around 2 hours to disappear completely. It was about 1C with a cold wind this morning - I read that can make a difference.

I've had wheezing after intense exercise ever since I was a teenager. I just never brought it up because it didn't happen all the time. I wasn't really doing intense exercise often though.

I called the Doctor & he said it might be EIA. A Nurse checked me over & I've been given an Inhaler (Salbutamol) & a Peak Flow Meter + Diary.

Currently my Peak Flow is 520 but I'll have to wait until Saturday to see what happens after a run. It will be Wednesday before I do a fast run again though.

I'm not going to use the inhaler before exercise for a couple of weeks until I have some base readings for post-exercise. It will be interesting to see if the I inhaler makes a difference; I've always just thought I was unfit but possibly EIA is affecting my performance.

So thoughts / do you have EIA & how does it affect you?

15/02/2014 at 13:18

No-one? I found an old thread here discussing Peak Flow, so there must be someone!

I ran 6.5 miles today, although it was all in the aerobic zone, so it wasn't hard at all.

My Peak Flow before going was 540 & when I got back it was 520. I'm not sure but I read your Peak Flow should increase following exercise but clearly the difference between the two readings is negligible. I didn't have any symptoms.

I will have to wait & see what happens after an intense session that causes symptoms.

Interestingly, my maximum Peak Flow has been 560 yet this morning on waking I had 480 which seems a bit low in comparison. I did feel ever so slightly short of breath but it could have been in my head.

18/02/2014 at 08:20

I'll keep updating this in the meantime in the off chance there is someone out there with something similar!

Now, I got up this morning & felt a bit short of breath. I got a peak flow of 530 (best of three) but of another 10 readings over the next 10 minutes, it was around 470. So, I decided I would try the inhaler for the first time & see what happened.

My Peak Flow went up to 640 after using it. Forget EIA, looks like I have mild Asthma that only really gets bad enough to take notice during intense exercise & perhaps this morning due to the rainy weather.

It might make sense considering how my resting heart rate is 49 yet I don't seem particularly fit. I've got a feeling I am a lot fitter than it appears -. It will be very interesting to see how using the inhaler before exercise helps my performance.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.