Possible ITBS while training - painful

New to running have Royal Parks Half in a could of months

12 messages
09/07/2013 at 15:31

Hi there!

I've recently been training for the Royal Parks Half Marathon. ( About 3/4 weeks ) Sunday 30th June the left side of my left knee started to hurt, I've been running Sun,Tues,Wed,Fri... Before running though I was very lazy, I would try to avoid cardio at all costs.
On Sunday I done my biggest run to date! Just over 4 miles, knowing my knee hurts I assumed I could just run through it. All Sunday after the run and yesterday it was very tender and painful, I had to drag myself up and down stairs using the banister. Today I woke up and it didn't feel too sore so I decided to go out for my run, after about 1 minute of running it was in a lot of pain, I had to cut my run short and come home.

I believe it's ITBS, what's the best course of action? As I don't really want to lose time training.
I've done zero treadmill work, I do all my running outside on footpaths. Also my trainers are new Brooks Ravenna 4 Men's from Sweatshop.

Any help that can minimize my downtime would be greatly appreciated.

09/07/2013 at 15:49

I can sympathise with  you. I am injured too and can't run for at least a week.  

Have you considered seeing a physiotherapist? If it is your ITB then sports massage should help. Are you resting, icing, compressing and elevating too?

If I were you then I would rest for another couple of days then build up slowly. 

10/07/2013 at 10:58

Hi,

Thanks, just booked an appointment with a physiotherapist in a couple of days. I'll just rest, ice, compress and elevate until then. Hopefully it isn't long term!

Guess I wait for what the physiotherapist tells me and if I can train my legs another way that will build my endurance.

10/07/2013 at 11:05

If new to running really need to ease into it slowly...just cut back with a few extra rest days and then slowly start building up again. Your body will slowly and surely get used to and adapt to your new running life. Also - maybe get yourself a foam roller and start rolling out that ITBS.

10/07/2013 at 11:08

Dont worry I've been running for years and I got problems with my ITB. Managed to get a run today but definitely will be resting 2 days before my long Saturday run. I usually Ice lots and pop a few pills. I have also started doing exercises to help as its a common injury for me when I run anything over 40 miles a week. So rest Ice and do strengthening exercises

10/07/2013 at 11:10

I am recovering from an ITB injury 4 months ago. I stopped running completely for about 4/5 weeks and saw a physio who confirmed the injury, started treating me and then gave me some exercises to do. It's a slow process coming back and you need to be careful to build up very gradually. It's also important that you maintain the exercises the physio gives you to do as, I stopped, and the injury came back. Since then I have maintained them and am on the way back. What I would say is that you would possibly only need a couple of visits to the physio; I went 6 times and didnt feel that I was benefitting much after the first couple but that will be a personal thing. And, as 15West says, get yourself a roller and use it as much as you can

10/07/2013 at 12:16

Thanks for the replies. I picked up a foam roller yesterday. Is there a limit to how long or much I should use it per day?

I started to do some exercises and scratches last night, felt a lot less pain this morning, normally I wake up and it's really stiff/sore getting out of bed. 

10/07/2013 at 12:22

When I use the roller it still hurts me so I limit it to 10 mins rolling of the ITB each session. The more you can do it the more you will benefit but I have heard people say you can overdo so you will just have to judge when to stop. Maybe 2 or 3 sessions of 10 minutes each per day ?

10/07/2013 at 12:35

The only thing I've found that works is foam rolling.

I do 2 minutes on each leg twice, twice a day. I've continued since the problem has gone and 3 months later still not had a recurrence

10/07/2013 at 12:36

Thanks that helps a lot.

I used it this morning for like a minute or two and assumed that was maybe to long!

10/07/2013 at 17:31

I am yet to find a foam roller that lasts more than 2 months before mis-shaping - any recommendations welcome

10/07/2013 at 19:03

I've had mine for ages... from 66fit on amazon!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
12 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.