Post run nausea

How to prevent feeling of nausea after a long run

7 messages
04/02/2013 at 15:46

I'm asking this on behalf of a friend who is training for a half marathon.  The training is generally going well, but every time she runs for any longer than 1 hour she feels really nauseous afterwards.  Has anyone else had this in the past?  Would anyone know any likely causes and how to prevent it?

04/02/2013 at 16:39

A friend, yeah, likely story

cougie    pirate
04/02/2013 at 16:56
Is she pregnant ?

Running too fast ?

Eating too close to running ?

I've never experienced it so I'm just guessing.
04/02/2013 at 17:02

is she eating before running?

hydration?

how fast??

04/02/2013 at 17:18

No she's not pregnant and isn't running too fast.  I don't think it has anything to do with when she eats beforehand.  The feeling of nausea doesn't start until a few hours after her long run.  At first she thought it might be dehydration or low electrolyte levels, so started to drink a sports recovery drink after the long run, but that hasn't helped.

04/02/2013 at 17:22

After a very long run (22-24M +) I do sometimes feel a bit nauseous (and no, I'm not and wasn't pregnant, etc.).  I make sure I have something, even if it's just chocolate milk and then snack on plain foods for the next couple of hours so that I've replenished my glycogen stores.

15/02/2013 at 03:22

I have had this many times after a long run and I put it down to your body going into shock as it is just not use to it. I have actually been sick a few times after a long run and after I have been sick I feel fine again.

Also after a long run my sense of smell is hightened which is weird. Does anyone else experience this or is it just me being weird

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.