Post run nutrition - For Goodness Shakes

12 messages
27/02/2008 at 09:02

I am training for the FLM.  Someone recommended to me "For Goodness Shakes" for post-run nutrition as it apparently has the right mix of protein (15.9g) and carbs (53.8g). 

Has anyone else tried these?  Does anyone know if it is fact or fiction?? 

27/02/2008 at 09:57

yes they're good, but quite thick to get down.

I prefer chocklit milk, and it's cheaper.

K9
27/02/2008 at 11:37
I've tried them - they taste good - can't vouch for their recovery potential though!
27/02/2008 at 12:33
Black pudding's what you want,none of this shake nonsense!
27/02/2008 at 12:43
27/02/2008 at 12:46
Peanut Butter sarnies are good too with a nice cup of Bovril....
07/05/2010 at 10:21
Sorry, to bring up an old post.  I'm struggling to recover properly from long runs.  I use FGS at the moment, but does anyone know anything about Accelorade and if it's any good?
07/05/2010 at 10:24

I like FGS, they are lovely!!!, only trouble is, they seem quite expensive, £36 for 24 pouches is a bit rich for me.

I've been using the free ones I get with wiggle orders!

07/05/2010 at 10:31

I've never heard of Accelorade.

I've used Slimfast shakes and smoothies after long runs. 

The coffee one is actually very nice

You can often find them on 3 for 2 offers in Boots, Superdrug and sometimes Tescos, otherwise, they're about £1.59.

07/05/2010 at 10:37

Never heard of accelerade and am somewhat puzzled as to how they can claim to have patented a 4 : 1 carb : protein ratio.  If you are getting protein and carbohydrate into you shortly after exercising I think the method of delivery (recovery drink vs milkshakes vs tuna bagel vs slimfast vs etc) doesn't matter hugely. 

That said, I do supplement my recovery drink with L-glutamine (possibly helps with muscle rebuilding) and ribose (possibly helps with replenishment of glycogen).

Edited: 07/05/2010 at 10:37
08/05/2010 at 17:19
FGS is essentially sugary milk - check out the ingredients label. In marketing speak this may translate to an "optimal blend of carbs and protein to maximise recovery", but sugary milk nonetheless.

You'd do as well with a bowl of cereal with milk, a peanut butter sandwich or similar.

That said, I have tried them and they taste nice - particularly the chocolate one. If you're not bothered by the cost then they're OK. Just don't expect miracles !
15/05/2010 at 21:32

I love FGS but yes they're pricey, if you sign up on the website you get money off and if you search for discount codes you can usually find one which can also be added. As for benefit as a recovery drink, I think they're better than some of the other big names out there, and you don't have to bother with the whole mixing business.

Even if you don't use them as a recovery drink, the chocolate one warmed is really good as a treat, I sometimes use it as a night time drink if i'm racing the next day.

Hope that helps,

Sarah

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
12 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.