Pregnant runners' club

for anyone who's expecting...

21 to 40 of 18,283 messages
02/12/2005 at 07:55
Cinders, don't take too much notice about my experience with clomid, the doc's reckonned i was 'clomid resistant' and it was just because they tried me up to a high dose (200mg) that i got bad side effects. For many folks, they will ovulate on the lower doses. You may feel a bit grotty one or two days of your period and just warn your other half not to take it personally if you are a bit grumpy, but on the lower doses for me it was no worse than normal pmt really. According to my Dad's cousin, one of her neices had to take pills to concieve both of her children (so it worked twice for her) so i'm assuming that she took clomid as i haven't heard of any other fertility drugs that come in pill form. Good luck and if you want to ask any questions about clomid or my experiences feel free to ask anytime.
02/12/2005 at 14:44
Thanks Mrs O, can be grumpy then with a good excuse :-)

Will let you know how things go!
02/12/2005 at 18:05
Can I join in? I am pregnant but am not running at the moment. I ran back from the park with my 6 year old son when I was only 2 months pregnant and have had quite a few problems since. I would normally agree with the 'listen to your body' advice, however my body doesn't seem to tell me when to stop.... I am now 5 months pregnant and after spending 3 months in bed I am finally allowed to walk around the house a little.

Initially I was planning to keep on running throughout my pregnancy but I am now hoping to just be allowed to go for a walk outside.

Best of luck to all of you and I hope you wil not overdo it, it is just not worth it.
03/12/2005 at 01:07
Crikey, Annemieke, what happened when you ran? Was it a pregnancy-related injury?
03/12/2005 at 06:46
Started loosing blood. I spend a few days in bed and seemed ok again. One week later it happened again spend some time in hospital got out spend another week in bed and as soon as I got up it happened again. I was having contractions nearly continuously. Thankfully I am much better now.

I guess the blood loss would have happened anyway, whether I would have run or not but I still think it is wise to play it save.

All the best with you pregnancy Americano. I hope you will be able to continue some sort of running routine throughout your pregnancy. Every pregnancy is different. Just don't overdo it.

06/12/2005 at 18:25
Annamieke, am so pleased your pregnancy is progressing well now. It must have been so frustrating and boring to have so much bed rest-and scary, too.
07/12/2005 at 16:12
Did anyone bother to get a HRM when pregnant, to monitor heartrate and make sure you're not going over the recommended (140bpm ??) limit and not over doing it, or did most folks find that they were able to judge how far to push it by themselves ??
08/12/2005 at 13:54
I got a HRM when I found out I was pregnant (now mum to a lovely 7 month old). Unfortunately I was diagnosed with sky high blood pressure at 16 weeks and spent the rest of my pregnancy either in hospital or resting :0( So not really much help I'm afraid!! I did find though, that for the first 3 months that I continued to run it was very hard to keep my HR below 140 so it makes me wonder what it was like before.... And it was nothing to do with fitness as I was up to 18 mile training runs when I found out I was pregnant!

I firmly believe in doing what feels right (although obviously there are exceptions as for Annemieke). I started running again 4 weeks after caesarean delivery and have been training as normal ever since, even though I know that is not the norm.

Yoga and swimming are a good way of staying fit when pregnant - I was allowed to do that until 24 weeks when I had to go into hospital (baby born at 36 weeks).

Best of luck all you pregnant ladies!

Hegs x
08/12/2005 at 14:13
I ran through both pregnancies. With the first baby I stopped after +/- 4 months and carried on swimming up until the birth (went swimming on the morning of my daughters birthday). I was able to start running again around 3-4 weeks after the birth (run/walk - very, very gentle). During the second pregnancy I kept running until well into my 7th month pushing my daughter along with me. Although in the end I was very (!) slow. My body did tell me during pregnancy what to do and when to stop and I think it is very important to listen to that and not to overdo it!
My baby is due in January so I am taking things easy at the moment and head to the pool again. I only hope that I am lucky again this time and able to start again so soon. It really helped keep me sane!

Good luck to all other mummies to be!
K9
08/12/2005 at 18:30
wow! running until 7 months pushing a baby! I'm so impressed. Hope I manage that without the baby jogger!
08/12/2005 at 19:29
The best advice in pregnancy is to continue what you would do normally. Don't increase your exercise and listen to your body. Never start a new exercise regime in pregnancy. I personally found my tummy kept going hard when I got to about 16 weeks and tried to run so I stopped. However this was my fourth pregnancy and the only one I ran in and I also bled on and off throughout (which i hadn't done in my other three) so maybe running is just best avoided and stick to aqua aerobics when your growing tummy is supported. (p.s. I'm a midwife)
08/12/2005 at 21:12
Didn't bother with a HRM I just seem to know when enough was enough. Even though I was quite fit before I became pregnant I realized that I needed to be more careful whilst carrying. Stopped using the x-trainer when I was about 7 months and like I said before, continued swimming and doing pregnancy yoga up until a couple of days before my daughter was born. Swimming is the best as its non-weight bearing and you can float to your hearts content if thats what takes your fancy.

09/12/2005 at 16:09
Your heart rate naturally increases when you're pregnant so this '140 bpm' advice may not be particularly realistic. In an article I read it also says that if you were very fit pre-pregnancy it is safe to exercise at around 165 bpm.

See article
09/12/2005 at 16:21
Glad to hear your point about it being OK to exercise up to 165bpm pre-pregnancy Minks, and not sticking religiously to the 140bpm rule, which is practically impossible with running as it's really easy to nudge higher than that. I'm 4 months pregnant, feeling absolutely fine and still running 4 or 5 times a week, for up to an hour at a time. Also swimming and going on the elliptical trainers/exercise bikes in the gym. Feel more breathless going up hills, so am walking up the steep ones and taking things slower generally, but finding it hard to stick to 140bpm as even walking up a steep hill takes it over that (wearing a HR Monitor tends to make you a bit paranoid, so now just monitoring the HR and when I hit a HR of about 160bpm I slow myself down a bit or stop and walk for a short while).
09/12/2005 at 16:21
Thanks for the article, Minks! It seems there is a lot of conflicting advice. I am not doing anything at all at the moment due to this sprained ankle & also constant nausea. Not being active is making me feel terrible. But maybe it's the right thing to do at the moment as am only in wk 6. I am actually having an early scan next week just to determine viability--my hospital offers them to anyone who's got a reason to be anxious, which is lovely. Although if symptoms are anything to go by am expecting triplets!
09/12/2005 at 21:03
Americano

Don't forget the ginger biscuits (as ginger helps with sickness) and nausea can be caused by low blood sugar levels, not an excuse to pig out, but the odd biscuit does help. If that fails - unluckily its your hormones! Good luck with the scan next week - keep us posted.
K9
10/12/2005 at 21:39
I'm at the same stage as you Americano. Early days yet I know. I'm feeling pretty sick too. Seems completely unpredictable though. One minute I seem to be fine, the next queasy as anything. And very sore boobs! Still running but seem to have slowed up without trying. Running slower times than usual on all routes. So disappointing! Was going to be doing FLM, and was hyper-motivated, but that'll have to go to one side. Not sure if I'll even manage to defer it next year realistically with young baby, work and all. We'll see...
11/12/2005 at 20:50
Congratulations K9! When's your due date? Will this be your first baby? I know what you mean about the sickness--mine doesn't seem connected to anything, eg times or smells.
12/12/2005 at 09:26
I suffered from TERRIBLE morning sickness (all day every day), and much as you probably don't feel like it, my advice would be to keep eating little & often as I found that the slightest hunger made me worse. I developed quite a taste for melon (and not chocolate - fortunately!)
I did find that it got somewhat better after about 14 weeks, but to be honest I didn't start to feel "normal" about food and drink until about 2 weeks before I had my baby (delivered at 36 weeks).
Good luck & big commiserations - I remember it only too well!!
K9
13/12/2005 at 22:10
Feeling seriously queasy now - all day for the last couple of days. Not vomiting yet though! eating does seem to help although I've not felt remotely hungry. Occasionally getting quite strange fancies for things I don't normally like too. I had a real fancy for a bacon roll or a burger this morning. (I hate bacon, and I'm practically vegetarian), and I'm quite off chocolate too (which I normally am seriously addicted to). Help I want to feel normal again. I'm sick (literally) of this already.
Yes 1st time pregnant, and not exactly planned either! Due early August I guess.
21 to 40 of 18,283 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.