Pregnant runners' club

for anyone who's expecting...

561 to 580 of 17,631 messages
11/04/2006 at 09:26
i feel like a great big crock at the moment.

i had a cold of one type or another for about 8 weeks.

finally got rid of it last week.

this morning, i wake up with a blocked nose and... a huge big swelling in my throat just above my adam's apple, which is REALLY painful.

ARGH!!!!

i assume this means some form of throat thing is on its way!

(had a bit of a panic that it might be thyroid as my mum has really bad thyroid probs and i know you can get more prone to thyroid probs during pregnancy - but that's below the adam's apple, not above it... phew...)

off to the GP tonight to get a certificate to say i am fit to fly (off to newcastle on easyjet to see hubby's parents for easter and they don't let you fly without a certificate after 27 weeks), so i just hope that the GP doesn't look down my throat ;-)
11/04/2006 at 09:42
Thanks Hegs.
Have been quite "regular" lately so dont think down to constipation.. Suffered from constipation in my first 10 wks but my system seems to have settled down now. phew!
Talked to my m-w and she seems to think the pain is from ligaments being stretched due to the expansion of the uterus. She said if I wanted I could bring in a sample to test for urine infection..which I might just do anyway..no harm to have it checked I suppose.
CM thats terrible catching another cold ! Its just SO easy to catch them and takes forever to get rid of them.
11/04/2006 at 09:58
mrst

oo, perhaps i should change profession - i suggested stretching of uterus or maybe check for urine infection, just like your midwife ;-)

only joking! being a midwife is a very responsible job. i was thinking that at the weekend when we went to visit the birthing centre in caerphilly where i hope to deliver (assuming the baby doesn't stay breech!). the unit is run by midwives, and the amount of stuff they have to do and kit they have to know how to use is amazing. they have a resuscitator there (just in case) and it looks really really complicated. in today's litigious society, i think anyone wanting to be a midwife is very brave! just imagine all of the things you could ultimately get sued for if something went wrong... somehow, because it's delivering babies, it seems even more risky on that front than other medical professions.
11/04/2006 at 10:44
Agreed - it is a majorly responsible job - I was thinking the other day about how badly NHS staff get paid and yet other people's lives are in their hands, versus people like me (no comments please!) with a cushy City office job getting paid pretty well for helping a bank make money..... doesn't seem fair really.

Having said that, the wife of a guy I work with had her baby declared stillborn when in fact she was perfectly OK - just didn't cry and scream at point of birth like most babies do. They didn't take it any further, but frankly the amount of distress that was caused in those first few minutes had a really bad effect on his wife who suffered PND (not saying it caused the PND, but it can't have helped!). On the otherhand, my friend who had a homebirth couldn't speak more highly of her midwives - they were amazing apparently. It does seem to be a bit of a lottery!

Mrs T - glad you got it sorted anyway, hopefully it won't be an infection - I had one of those after I had my baby (c-sections mean that everything gets a bit bashed about and my bladder got quite badly bruised resulting in an infection) and it wasn't too pleasant.

11/04/2006 at 11:21
Another silly question about putting weight on. Am 14 weeks at the moment and am sure my running trousers are a bit tighter on my thighs than normal and my bum is expanding a bit as well, is this normal or am i being a fat bloater and eating too much (you can tell me i'm being a fat bloater, won't take offence if that is the case)?? Or is my body just laying down a bit extra fat in preparation for breastfeeding ??

Just worry a bit when theres a few runners on here worrying about not putting enough weight on and i'm the opposite.

How do you know how much you should be eating ? I'm hungry a lot of the time but feel like maybe i'm eating too much sometime and don't want to end up a fat bloater.

Have finally got out running regularly again after having colds and going on holiday, maybe i put on extra weight through lack of exercise as well. So far i reckon i've put on about half to three quarters of a stone in the first 3 months, is this ok or a bit too much or is every woman different ??
11/04/2006 at 11:53
Mrs o - I put on 8lbs in the first 12 weeks - I think everyone is different!
If you are really concerned you ought to chat with the m/wife, but my view is that a lot depends on your natural body shape too.

I am pear-shaped and put on all my pregnancy weight around my hips and thighs and sure enough that's where it all stayed once my baby was born! But normal diet and exercise has got rid of it and the simple fact is that I ate more and exercised a lot less whilst pregnant, so what did I expect?? ;o) I have also always struggled with my weight and largely manage it through exercise, so I put on a few extra pounds through losing the battle with my willpower (I do remember one day eating an entire box of mini-chocolate victoria sponges from Waitrose - bloody delicious!)

Having said that, I put on 2.5 stones over my pregnancy (quite respectable, I was led to believe) but I know a couple of my friends who were real skinny minnies before, put on up to 4 stone! And they have also lost it now too.

I think the main thing that they look for wrt weight gain in pregnancy is diabetes - excessive weight gain is a key sign and also a contributing factor, so try not to binge on the cakes, biscuits, sweet drinks and not too much fruit either apparently.

Does that help any?? Of course I am not a professional so don't know if any of this is wrong or right, but just my opinion which as ever I am happy to share!

hegs x
11/04/2006 at 11:53
mrs o - don't worry about weight gain! it's as normal to put on weight in your first trimester as it is to lose it, and some people put on or lose about a stone in the first 12-13 weeks!

you can expect to put on over half a stone of pure fat (lovely!) as supplies for breastfeeding throughout your pregnancy. and a common place for this to end up is on your bum and thighs! the rest of your weight gain will be the baby, extra blood, extra fluid, bigger boobs (yes, really!), and the weight of your uterus.

i read somewhere (rather worryingly) that they reckon you don't actually need any extra calories for the first two trimesters of pregnancy, and only need an extra 200 calories a day for the final trimester - which they worked out as a glass of milk and a banana. how depressing!

certainly, i have been a LOT less active since getting pregnant than i was before, so even though i think i'm not eating anymore, i probably end up having several hundred calories a day more than i had beforehand because i'm not burning them off through exercise (was regularly running 50 mpw before and during the first 27 weeks was averaging about 20 miles max!)

so - there's no need to stuff your face and you don't need to consciously eat more, i don't think. you just need to make sure you eat regularly so your blood sugar doesn't dip and you don't get too hungry, and - obviously - you need to be eating healthy things (not loads of chocolate. damn!)

one of my friends put on 4 stone during pregnancy because she was constantly hungry and just stuffed her face, but she lost it again within a year of the baby being born and is now as svelte as ever. so, as long as you are disciplined afterwards, you should be able to lose it.

i do worry about losing it, though, principally because i HATE dieting (having been anorexic in my late teens, early 20s, i now have a fear of dieting and counting calories: i seem to have gone completely the other way!). and i can't imagine that dieting, breastfeeding and looking after a young baby is a bundle of fun!
11/04/2006 at 11:55
Caramel - looks as if we cross-posted ;o)

Saying pretty much the same thing though...

I lost a lot of weight in the first 3 weeks after my baby was born - mainly down to breastfeeding and simply forgetting to eat with the excitement and exhaustion of it all! I lost 1.75 stones in that period, but then took about another 5 months to lose the remaining 3/4 of a stone.
11/04/2006 at 11:59
Just to echo what Hegs and Caramel have said - everyone is different and you sound fine.

Also to (depressingly) confirm that you don't need any extra calories until the third trimester (and then not that many). You need lots more if you are going to breastfeed.

I would advise any of you to avoid the scales in the first few months post-pregnancy.....if you are breastfeeding you will be using up a lot of calories and most people do lose their weight. I have struggled but that's my fault from not being disciplined once the baby was, say, 6 months old.

Do NOT do what one of my friends did and take a pair of pre-pregnancy trousers to the hospital to wear home - you will still be in maternity wear (well trousers) for a while afterwards until uterus etc. has returned to normal. I know no-one (including the skinniest of my friends) who immediately bounced back to their pre-pregnancy weight straight away (ignore any celebrity stories over this) - it took 9 months for your body to get to that shape, it will take time to return.

Be KIND to yourselves (my biggest number one tip to new mums) in those early days - other things will follow later.
11/04/2006 at 11:59
talking of food, i am STARVING!

i go through phases of waking up in the night absolutely ravenous (must coincide with when baby is having growth spurt, i think), and it's only because i'm such a lazy cow that i don't get up and raid the fridge for a midnight snack.

last night was one of those nights, and my breakfast this morning didn't touch the sides.

i've spent the whole morning starving but DETERMINED to wait until midday before i eat lunch.

this pregnancy lark sure is no excuse to eat for 2 unfortunately.

only 2 minutes until lunchtime though.

gurgle gurgle gurgle...
11/04/2006 at 12:17
Thats it! I have been trying to ingnore my rumbling tummy since breakfast. All this talk of food has made me crack.

I understand how you feel Mrs O, it is so hard to surrender your body, particulary when you are used to being fit.

I put on loads of weight last time and surrendered to every craving. That said I did loose it all and a little more in a round 8 months. So please feel reassured that you will get back to being you, it may just take a few months.

I did naively think I would shrink back to normal a day or two later. At least I am better prepared this time :-)

I have made an real effort to eat better this time and fill those hunger pangs with healthy snacks. Particularly as I cannot exercise. Saying that I do crack :-).

The recommended gain is around 25-35 lbs if you are not overweight to start, but all are different. I think I have put on about 9lbs so far & I am 20 weeks.

You will be raring to get those running shoes on again and run normally again. Any weight will fly off I am sure!!
11/04/2006 at 12:19
Perhaps this will make you all feel better: today I have already eaten 4 pieces of toast with marmite and I am now eating a Terry's chocolate orange while I work at home ;o)
I am convincing myself that I need the energy (??) for my marathon prep........

Enjoy your healthy lunches ladies,
Hegs x
11/04/2006 at 12:22
Thanks for all your comments, advice and reassurance, i don't feel too bad now. I have always been on the large side, size 14/16 and somewhere between 12 and 13 stone (which is just over BMI of 25 for my height of 5ft 9in). My Mum and Granny and sister are all the same, fit healthy etc, but probably always at the bigger end of normal weight ranges for their heights, so no way i'll ever be svelte and sylph-like, its in the genes i guess. I do know i probably have been having too many treats and will need to try to curb those, but its hard, however have been piling my plate with veggies at meal times to try and fill me up and keep me away from the snacks !!!

Thanks again for all your comments, this forum is great and you're all brill at handing out advice and reassurance, i don't really know any other pregnant women at the moment, none of my friends are and only one other woman at work that i know to speak to (work in science so a lot of blokes about and younger single women who aren't that interested). However hoping to get a place at an ante natal yoga class so will meet other mums to be there.
11/04/2006 at 12:27
Have watched my sister through her 3 pregnancies, so am under no illusions of springing back into shape quickly and have a good idea of how wobbly and blobby i'm going to look for a while until everything goes back into place, saying that she has got her figure back after quite a few months without too much hard work between the first two, however the third came along rather quickly so she didn't regain it after the second before she was pregnant again, however she is getting back into shape now (third one about 6months now)
11/04/2006 at 12:34
mrs o - i'm also on the 'large side', normally weighing in at just over 11 stone and am 5ft 9. in my skinny minny days, i was about 6 stone, but clearly that was NOT a good thing. since i've got back to normal eating, i have plateau'd at just over 11 stone, so it seems to be the right weight for me, and i maintain it with exercise and not really watching what i eat!

having said that, i have now put on 15lbs - as of last week. probably more now. i put on 10lbs in the first 25 weeks, and then 5lbs in the next 2 weeks!!

anyway, it WILL have to come off afterwards.

hegs - if i ate a terrys chocolate orange, i would spend the afternoon on the toilet. that's what i get for having a bit of a milk intolerance. it's quite handy sometimes!
11/04/2006 at 12:51
Ewww... quite glad I had finished it when i read that Caramel ;o)
I am a fairly "normal" size too - 5ft 8 and weigh in at 10st (size 10/12). I went up to 12st 8lbs whilst pregnant but in the past have been up to 13st and NOT pregnant!

I actually don't blame celebs for our obsession with weight loss particularly after childbirth, but I do blame the press & media - we have to accept that most of the celebs that we see miraculously shrinking back to size 8 within weeks of childbirth are just really returning to their normal size. What is so damaging is that a lot of people look at them and think that they too should be size 8 after having a baby when they were actually always a size 14 before.

I have had a very unhealthy relationship with food in the past (not anorexia, but fad dieting, abusing laxatives, binge/ starve routines, etc) and actually I credit running with getting my perspective on food and eating. I do eat quite a lot and I LURVE my sweet things (chocolate, biscuits etc) but I no longer tend to go mad on them (forgetting the chocolate orange that I just scoffed, of course). Pregnancy was quite good for me in a sense as it was out of my control and actually I really didn't overeat that much.

Yet another landmine for us poor mums and mums to be!
11/04/2006 at 12:58
it's amazing how many people do have 'issues' with food. i certainly had from about the age of 11 or 12 until i was in my mid twenties.

i was interested to see how being pregnant would make me feel because you suddenly have no control over your shape (well, at least not the bump bit anyway!). i think because i had had a good few years of coming to terms with my normal body shape (ie that i am not naturally a size 8, and am only a size 10 in monsoon!) and controlling it through exercise, the transition to blimpy fat belly has not been too bad. i don't panic when i see myself in a mirror - although i'm NOT a pretty sight in a swimming costume at the moment. how DO these models in the maternity wear catalogues manage to look so glam?? GRRRRR!!!
11/04/2006 at 13:15
Hi all

Just seen this interesting thread.
I am 16 weeks pregnant and already have a 2 year old. I was very fit (at least I thought so) before the pregnancy as I had trained quite hard for the 2005 FLM and Amsterdam marathons.
I've had a really good first trimester, no tiredness or nausea, but my fitness levels have plummeted as I really just cannot find the motivation to go to the gym. Has anybody experienced this or am I just being lazy?
I have put on a lot of weight (17lb) which I am not too bothered about as I am hoping to run it all off afterwards. Just hope my plan works and I don't regret my take it easy approach.
11/04/2006 at 13:52
Has anyone got any cravings?? I am not sure I would call mine a craving, it is not like I turn into a demented woman without it..

I cannot stop eating home made (must be)ham, mature cheddar, tomato and advocado sandwiches with dijon mustard.

Anyone else?

Welcome Tonia - I felt like that during my 1st pregnancy and did very little. This time I was determined to stay fit and active but cannot run this time due to bleeding. I am sure you will run it all of after. I got huge during my 1st pregnancy burnt it all off again.
11/04/2006 at 14:42
The downside to being a 'skinny Minnie' like me is that if/when I fall pregnant I will find it hard to disguise the fact and may end up having to tell people sooner than I'd like. I'm only a size 6 (5'1"), very small-framed and hover around 7 stone (I'm a bit under that at the moment due to marathon training). I appear to be very healthy, though - and most people can't believe the amount of food I pack away.

I have three friends who've recently given birth. The first, whose baby arrived at the end of November, is tall and naturally very lean (not an ounce of fat). Five weeks post-birth she looked as though she'd never been pregnant. She was also extremely flat-chested before she got pregnant so her boobs still looked small and neat even though she's breast-freeding.

Friend #2 is 'normal' build - she's 5'6"ish and not skinny but not really large either, except she has a tendency to gain weight and has enormous boobs. Five weeks post-birth, she's still in maternity trousers and still has quite a belly. Her boobs are even bigger now she's breast-feeding and she can't wear any of her pre-pregnancy tops as although they fit everywhere else they won't fit across her chest!

Friend #3 has fought a constant battle with her weight ever since she ballooned in her 20s. She's probably around 14+ stone and 5'8". She carries all her weight between her neck and her hips - classic 'apple' - but is also unfortunate enough to have taken after the large-breasted women on her dad's side of the family. They truly are enormous - even before pregnancy she struggled to find bras large enough. I dread to think what she's doing now! Her baby was born less than two weeks ago and she blew up massively during and after the birth - face and legs in particular extremely bloated and swollen. This doesn't seem to have gone down much - does anyone know what it could be? The hospital are monitoring her blood pressure but it doesn't seem to be that.
561 to 580 of 17,631 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.