Pregnant runners' club

for anyone who's expecting...

18,001 to 18,020 of 18,283 messages
12/02/2012 at 19:03

Good evening Ladies (and congratulations on being new Mummies or expectant ones)!

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for support belts for running. I'm 21 weeks, and although not big by any stretch of the imagination, I am starting to get discomfort under my little bump. I'm an ex-international rower and trained A LOT just before finding out I was pregnant, and ran a half marathon three weeks gone (although I didn't know it at the time - wondered why it felt so wrong and hard at the time though). Having had a hard first trimester, I still managed to run and train and am still trying to get a run in almost every day now and intend to as long as I possibly can.

I've looked on the internet and I'm slightly overwhelmed at what's out there and some of the belts look pretty industrial! I haven't got pelvic girdle/SPD pain, and I haven't gained a huge amount of weight, just what seems "normal" I guess (coming from weight-restricted events it's really hard seeing the scales increasing!) so I'm guessing something lightweight yet supportive would do.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!

13/02/2012 at 12:06
Oh hi PigletPie - I used to row too (ages ago and not international!). When my back was playing up I bought a support belt from Mothercare and it did seem to help although it wasn't massively comfortable - a bit itchy. Not sure if it would rub as well if I tried running with it on.
I'm nearly 22 weeks so about the same as you, with my first preg I managed to keep running until 30 weeks which I do think helped with labour. Good luck with the belts.
Actually thinking about it, I did find a rolled down all in one offered a bit of support around the bump.
13/02/2012 at 15:29
Only typing one handed so this'll be short and sweet as baby Scarlet Nottage made her much awaited appearance on Fri 10.02.12 at 12.50, weighing in at 8 and a half lbs...a whole pound and a half heavier than any of her siblings...explains why I felt like I was going to pop at the end. Labour was different again and didn't go as hoped...even perplexed the midwives but once out all healthy and happy and, surprisingly, no stitches...yay. Breast feeding well and having a some reasonable sleep cos now it's comfortable and she sleeps quite well, for now at least.

Carovet...any news?

By the way Kinsey, think it was you who had the spitting thing? It goes straight away...or at least it has for me.

Post more info soon. xx
13/02/2012 at 16:16
Congrats Sam!

I am so jealous......still nothing and am 8 days over. Have booked myself induction acupuncture tomorrow evening........it's £40 but if it works, it'll be worth it! Please.........I so don't want to be induced!
13/02/2012 at 17:46
Congrats Sam - was so pleased to hear about the spitting going that I almost was going to mention that first!! Well done on no stitches too does make recovery a bit easier.
Lovely name too, hope Scarlet continues to sleep for you!

Caro, I had a sweep at 9 days over and had Martha the next day - not much help but I'm sure something will work - you can always refuse induction if there is no medical reason for them to start it off (although once I go overdue I'd do anything to get it all going!).
13/02/2012 at 19:07

HI Kinsey - thanks for that! Another person has suggested an all in one (which I haven't worn since the rowing career went southwards) so I'll give that a go. Thanks for taking the time to write!

xx

RK
13/02/2012 at 21:36

Congratulations SN and LP on your new arrivals.  Hope everything is going well.

Piglet Pie - I tried one of these - http://www.mothercare.com/Mothercare-Support-Belt/dp/B005UCSWJY?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_3&nodeId=72181031&sr=1-3&qid=1329168515&pf_rd_r=1ZRYT2TM5VC7RVW6RP4V&pf_rd_m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=72181031&pf_rd_p=231490867&pf_rd_s=related-tab-3-5 when I was about 20 weeks gone, as my back was getting a big stiff if I did runs with a lot of hills, and I felt like I needed a bit of support (like you though, I didn't look at all big at this point).  Unfortunately, I can't recommend it - it didn't seem to give much support and it pressed on my bladder.  Think I only used it 3 or 4 times, and most of those ended up taking it off half way round.  Might depend on shape of your bump though (mine was very high at that point).  I gave up the running at 26 weeks as my posture seemed to change and it started to bother my hips.  33 weeks now and still swimming and using the cross-trainer/sit-down bike at the gym, not the same as getting outside but it's enough to stop me going mad!

14/02/2012 at 08:01
That's the same one I bought RK - the elastic at the top seemed a bit itchy too.

Happy Valentine's day everyone!
Edited: 14/02/2012 at 08:01
22/02/2012 at 02:11
Eric Claude finally born on Sunday 14 days late. Birth story over on mums running thread. Not quite what I wanted but still positive all the same.
22/02/2012 at 08:19
Big congrats Sam and Carovet!
24/02/2012 at 14:57
Congratulation Sam and Carovet. And welcome to the 2 new babies
27/02/2012 at 13:52
Hi new mums and mums-to-be! I am just over 8 weeks pregnant with my first baby and have just been to the doctor who told me to stop running. Now, I know you all run/ran through pregnancy to a point- were you also advised not to?

I have no unusual symptoms, I am 33, have run regularly for years (including a marathon 3 years ago) and just doing gentle 4 mile jogs 3 or 4 times a week really helps to relieve my horrible morning sickness. I think the GP was just being over-cautious and I wasn't in the mood to argue. She said to swim instead but I hate swimming! Any reassurance would be appreciated!

Also, the reason I went to see her was for sore nipples- I got back from yesterday's jog in so much pain (despite wearing 2 sports bras!), and the end of the nipple was white! Then it went purple. She prescribed anti-fungal cream. What are your tips for nipple rub? I don't want to rub them raw before even considering breast feeding!!

Thanks
28/02/2012 at 06:28
Hi Dottie! Your doctor sounds rather more cautious than normal! My doctor was very happy for me to keep on going while it was comfortable. If you read back on here you will see it is different for everyone but some manage to run all the way through pregnancy.
I managed until 30 weeks with my first but could hardly do anything second time around because of my back hurting.

I would buy some Lansinoh cream for your nipples - very good for breastfeeding and will help a bit. Does your doc actually think you have a fungal problem? Sounds like an odd prescription otherwise.
Might be worth getting bigger bras as if they are too tight?

Congratulations by the way!
29/02/2012 at 11:26
Thanks! She didn't say why she had prescribed the cream, I guess I just nodded obediently! Must learn to get more confident about my new mum-to-be status! The cream seems to have helped though. Thanks for the tip, and yes, I've ordered more sports bras!

I am going to keep running as long as poss I think, just listen to my body and not push it. It seemed such old fashioned advice. Glad I didn't tell her about my snowboarding trip next month.....! Better find a snowboarding-mums forum for reassurance on that one!!

29/02/2012 at 14:30
I skied when 18 wks pregnant with my first and it was the best skiing I've done in my life! Also happened to be in France, so had to partake in the odd glass of vino, lots of french cheese, etc etc!
29/02/2012 at 15:51
Dottie - my friend went snowboarding in December and she is due in May - she had an excellent time but did get some varicose veins so maybe take it a bit easier than normal?!
29/02/2012 at 22:47
Dottie,

I think your doctor is just old school and definitely overly cautious (as Kinsey states above). This is my first pregnancy, I'm 34 and I'm 28 weeks and still running and my GP encouraged me to keep running but to cut down on the longer runs (I was marathon training at the time).

I am very slow now but managed a 9 mile run last week and am happy to get out 2-3 times a week. M bump seems to have suddenly got bigger this week though and got a few weird looks today when running. I mainly don't care what people think but really wish there was some decent maternity running gear that made you feel less like a running bowling ball... Does anyone else get strange looks when running?

I'm so jealous that you're heading off for some boarding! We had planned to head to Tahoe in January but decided against it this year. I just thought I wouldn't relax properly on the slopes but I know people who have headed off to the snow when pregnant. Definitely don't ask for your Dr's approval! Where are you going?

Congratulations by the way!
E
29/02/2012 at 22:49
... and I found Primark's sports bras to be excellent (and only £5!)
01/03/2012 at 09:14
Chispa - luckily it was autumn/winter with my first pregnancy so my running was mainly in the dark - I did feel a bit self conscious though!
Congratulations to you too for keeping going so long!
04/03/2012 at 22:18

Just joining this forum as now entering the 11th week of my first pregnancy, and can see it offers lots of great advice and suppot

Have seen GP, but still awaiting my first midwife appt! Having been a competetive runner for 19 odd years now, I was very very pleased that my GP sooooo supportive of me carrying on with my running and other training (spinning, circuits) as long as I remember to keep in mind that I am to 'maintain' rather than 'train' over the next few months. With that in mind, I'm finding it vey difficult to keep my pace down a little, as before falling pregnant, at my fittest and fastest I'v ever been. I haven't done any speedwork though since discovering I pregnant and haven't really done many hills, as aware these are two areas I should hold back on whilst pregnant? I guess my pace will start to slow as I start to actually feel pregnant and get bigger in the future months too?  I haven't entered any more races apart from the Sport Relief 6 mile (of which I will use as a rare chance to dress-up and have a fun training session). Will have to defere my South Downs Marathon entry too Had no symptons or problems at all really, so have to keep reminding myself that I am pregnant!

I work as a fitness instructor and have completed the pre/post natal exercise qualification, however, found the bulk of the training included in this qualification only really applied to those who not complete fitness and runnning fanatics, so it great for me to have found this forum to get the advice etc needed to keep me running at a decent level throughout me pregnancy and beyond, and to get info on bra's etc too (something I've really had to worry about!)

I look forward to  being part of the forum over the next few months

18,001 to 18,020 of 18,283 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.