Pregnant runners' club

for anyone who's expecting...

18,201 to 18,220 of 18,283 messages
25/10/2012 at 10:08

Congratulations on the birth of Simone, Sonita! A very lovely name. Sorry to hear re complications, hopefully you'll be back on your feet soon. From what I hear, you can't run with babies in prams until they're six months. It's to do with neck support.

I've managed to get a cancellation gynae physio slot tomorrow, so will see what they say. Am expecting some glam tubigrip and exercises! I'm thrilled to have an appointment so quickly because the pain has been pretty bad, but am a bit gutted I'm not going to be able to do much. That said, when walking for a few minutes is painful, I'm just going to have to deal with it!  

25/10/2012 at 10:46

Thanks, happygonicky....i didnt know about the 6 months..well, i guess ill have to make do with the weekends and then find sometime in the mornings before my husband is off to work...its getting dark early so i cant do the night runs..not very safe...I live in Portugal by the way...

I had some complications bec the docs didnt remove all the placenta..and had to undo some stitches!!! crazy...

hope you feel better soon....good thing you are resting...take care

25/10/2012 at 11:01

I guess it's some 'me time', not ideal first thing in the morming though. I'll be in exactly the same boat.

Arghh. Thats sounds horrible. Hope you heal soon.

25/10/2012 at 11:05

yup..one does feel caged....they are angels but for very active folks like us, its hard to sit put at home every day without running, except on weekends...

25/10/2012 at 20:21

Hi Sonita. I am pretty sure I ran earlier with my daughter, probably around 12 weeks I guess. I too had a quinny but I used the maxicosi car seat in it to run with as it felt more secure and has the head hugger and and I only ran on very flat paths. I live in Windsor so used the roads in the great park which are ideal as smooth and mainly traffic free.  Good luck, you will be able to see if baby is getting bumped about.

Boo to the SPD. I had it with my first, it came and went from about 20 weeks but I was able to run up to 30 weeks and stayed using the gym, crosstrainer and weights until I gave birth.

I am now pregnant with my second, he/she is due in February, so am 24 weeks. When is everyone else due? This forum used to be so big we had a huge list when I had my 1st. It has dimished in size somewhat since!!

25/10/2012 at 20:32
Hi Anjelicas, can I ask how you kept running with spd? Did you just do short runs to not aggravate it too too much? Interesting that it came and went too.. Am 26 weeks with first - I started reading back on this thread, it's been really helpful and often very funny too!
25/10/2012 at 20:50

I saw a very good Osteopath on a regular basis and really reduced my mileage and only ran when I felt ok. I had problems with the SI joint and a touch of SPD, so the main pain was around my lower back. The osteo did lots of pelvic manipulation and put it back into place when it became misaligned. I also saw him fairly soon after the birth and I was back running 3 weeks post delivery albeit shorter and slower runs to begin with.

This time round, I am being a little more cautious, have really reduced mileage and I am not running more than 5 miles at a time and a lot slower maybe 1.30mm slower than my normal pace, although I am not sure I can run much faster...I think I have shortened my stride and kept my feet a lot closer to the ground than usual to avoid too much impact. Still, I could still be struck down with it, so am just grateful for being able to get out and plod.

Also, I am trying not to do any hoovering which aggravates it!!

We are fairly close in dates then. I'm due mid feb.

26/10/2012 at 10:37

Hi Anjelicals,

I was told 6 months...but i guess you are right....if the surface is not bumpy then it should be fine...I have a maxicosi which i can attach as well...there is a bed too...Once i get a green signal from the gynec, i guess I will try it out..with a light jog!

Hope you all are well!!

Sonita

26/10/2012 at 14:56

Is the bed the carrycot? I found that offered next to no support and had no straps so would def not run with that.

26/10/2012 at 15:28

yes it is a carrycot..I wont use tht fr running..We use that as Simona's bed..she prefers this to the bassinet!! Funny girl!

26/10/2012 at 19:37
Hi everyone, big congratulations on the birth of Miles Em, lovey name, and to Sonita I think it was. I hope you are both getting some rest.

I havent been on here for a few weeks (inthink inneeded to come to terms with not running!) Runningbean, I feel exactly the same about the frustrations about not being able to run and SPD! I should've stopes sooner but was in denial (esp as tou said the pain only really starts after the run) until the last 5k I did (24 weeks) when I literally could not walk/move after for 24 hours! It was like my pelvis had given way and I had such severe pain in my groin, radiating down my legs at one point I wondered if I was in labour! My pelvis felt unstable and after seeing the Physio had actually subluxated due to the high impact of running.

With regards to the question about will a Physio just stop you running, well ones worried about that and no, mine didn't, she was very sensible and said that sometimes it makes it worse sometimes it doesn't and to keep going if I felt ok. She initially said continue runnig but have me extra exercises to do. It wasn't until it got so bad she told me to stop but to be honest by then I was so painful I knew I had no choice as being able to walk is kind of a necessity with a toddler to look after and an active job!

In my opinion whether you can run or not with SPD or pelvic pain depends on the severity of the problem & whether its just pubic symphysis separation causing discomfort or whether it is actually mal aligned or becomes subluxated. In my care the former I found running bearable but the latter definitely not!

I am now 28 weeks and have not ran for 4 weeks however my pelvis is much better and I'm spinning once a week and boxing (!) once a week instead of my outdoor fitness class as that too was to high impact for me. I am sporadically swimming although haven't quite mastered the enjoyment or the technique I'm hoping the combination of this will keep me fairly fit so I can get back to runnig ASAP.

I also agree about the pre-natal yoga being a bit pointless! I did it with my first and found the only useful bit was the relaxation at the end, which did relax me after a busy day at work. I haven't bothered going this time. I think people forget that although we are pregnant we still want to do something pretty energetic and keep the core strength up.

Happygonicky, I agree about the back pain & I'd forgotton how bad it is even though I had it last time! I want to sit down but when I do it is just so uncomfortable!

SPD is worse this time too although so much better than a few weeks ago.

SPD does normally go immediately after birth but because of the hormone relaxin still being present for several months after (this is what's responsible for the pubic symphysis widening) it can still plague you after for a while. I have to say, mine went immediately after last time....

Anyway good to hear from you all. Take care
26/10/2012 at 19:50

sorry for all the spelling mistakes, stupid predictive text! should know by now to proof read!

31/10/2012 at 14:32

Hello all,

Interesting chat to come back to! Like Em, I was avoiding the thread for a bit while I couldn't run! Em, you're doing great! Gynae physio was great, pelvis had got misaligned and now feel like new. No tubigrip! Or even exercises, as such (couple of stretches) .She was very definite about not running again while pregnant (am now 31 weeks) though and the not being able to walk without pain scared me so much that I took her at her word. However, this thread (Angelicals, in particular) is making me think again. She put the pelvis getting misaligned down to weak glute (v. plausible, have been doing much less on the strengthening front than usual), impact from the running and an element of hypermobility - all of which strikes me as being very possible. I suppose it's possible pelvis could go out of line again - no doubt the relaxin has a part to play in  this, but if it does, I'd know what the problem was. Do I take the risk? Would love to go back to some very light jogging. Perhaps on grass and take it very steady.

Am about to start pregnancy pilates (was slightly shunted out of usual class because they needed to make up class numbers and, to be fair, thought it would be useful), am doing pregnancy yoga still (which slightly does my head in!). I was thinking about aquajogging but have let my gym membership lapse (was happy running and wanted to save a bit of ££). Could really do with doing something a bit more active.

Any thoughts? Maybe I will give it a gentle go? I'm normally very obedient with physios, but if I feel OK.... 

31/10/2012 at 15:37

i would take it easy until you deliver..i did some aqua walking and stretching..and light swimming...i think you should try that vs run or walk..esp climibing stairs should be avoided. Take care!!

31/10/2012 at 15:41

OK, that's sensible. I've just found out that I can reactivate my gym membership, so aqua-running and light swimming it is. Thanks for the voice of reason! 

31/10/2012 at 15:58
I agree with Sonita C although not what you want to hear. It sounds like we did virtually identical things and I was in so much pain an it felt so unstable I literally could only crawl to the toilet not walk for 48 hours. The thought of doing that again an having a toddler to look after too plus work is enough to not make me try again, even tho I was tempted! What about a spinning class or similar too?

My pain is manageable since I stopped running, more daily discomfort than true unbearable pain and I'd like to keep it that way!!

Will be itching to get back into it after though!

Em
31/10/2012 at 16:19

Yup. You're absolutely right. Spinning is an option and might well give me that cardio fix. To risk going back to the way I was... Thanks for the wise words! Am glad you're feeling loads better!   

31/10/2012 at 16:19

I did my first run 2 days back since giving birth..its been 6 weeks..i managed only 5K ..could have gone on more but the uterus was not yet in full form..it felt heavy...so i guess its wise to go slow...(like u all..i was itching to get back but im careful...)..No point taking a risk! Take care all of you!

31/10/2012 at 16:32

Well done Sonita, that's a great inspiration. Around 6 weeks is what I am aiming for.  I couldn't sit down for a while after my first, never mind run!  I felt like my insides were going to fall out, I was black and blue down there not to mention midline abdominal separation and massively painful boobs for at least 2 weeks, and the leaky wee(!)....I didn't leave hospital for 2 days and was pleased to manage a slow, short dog walk 4 days after.  I am hoping (depending on the birth!) 4-6 weeks after is a realistic aim seeing how everything was last time but we'll see, Sonita, definitely an inspiration that it is possible although, well done.  (P.S I did have quite a traumatic birth in theatre with ventouse first time round though, don't want to scare everyone!! )  Remember you will still be producing relaxin so take it steady and your core will be all wobbly, stretched and saggy so go steady.  Speaking from personal experience after last time, I thought the adivce in last months runners world about concentrating on getting core strength and pelvic floor back to some strength before building up running too quickly is probably very sensible advice.

31/10/2012 at 17:12

Yea, i think core strengthening is important..i am going to start doing this..it took me around 6 weeks to get better..i had a pretty nasty post delivery recovery..i had some placenta left inside and some stitches had to be undone..so i was off my feet for a few weeks! Brutal...but my delivery was only 4 hours (from start of contractions to having Simona in my arms)...

Im curious - do some women really start running right after delivering..say a day or two later?? I dont know if I believe this....

18,201 to 18,220 of 18,283 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.